Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that our HVAC switches are ridiculously large. I'm thinking FCA thinks PM drivers are fumble-fingered. Or perhaps extremely near-sighted. I jest. I suspect they were trying to fill up what would otherwise be an empty space. Presumably, marketing thought it would be less stylish and impact sales if there was blank space.

With smaller HVAC switches there'd be room for other kinds of switches or maybe a blank area for people to put in their own switches in a central and easily accessible area of the dash. --it's such a great location that has gone to waste!

I have another thread in the Electronics area asking about switches but I thought I'd rant in the General section. :D

Maybe @RamCares can take this as 1 person's feedback. :p

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Ram says much was borrowed from the Ducato, but Ram Designers made alterations for US customers and apparently we like big knobs and lots of cup holders.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm glad those knobs are large . You should see me flail around on the suspension seat in my 118" buckboard . For a real laugh try my finesse at the touch screen .

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey TVV

If you think that is bad, you should see my 2018 1500 Ram with a knob “dial” shifter.

There are days I turn the radio down rather than shift into reverse or go to put in into drive from park & adjust the a/c fan speed instead.

Actually slow down now & am more deliberate with the knobs (the truck shifter knob is about the same size as the hvac knobs in the PM

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ram says much was borrowed from the Ducato, but Ram Designers made alterations for US customers and apparently we like big knobs and lots of cup holders.
My (also FCA) minivan has much smaller HVAC knobs and fewer cupholders than our PMs and it sells very well. Crazily the current 2020 body style dates all the way back to 2008. It sells so well FCA hasn't bothered to replace it. I wonder what the record for a body style to stay the same is.

And don't get me started on the PM's cup holders. :p

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey TVV

If you think that is bad, you should see my 2018 1500 Ram with a knob “dial” shifter.

There are days I turn the radio down rather than shift into reverse or go to put in into drive from park & adjust the a/c fan speed instead.

Actually slow down now & am more deliberate with the knobs (the truck shifter knob is about the same size as the hvac knobs in the PM
You're a pilot. I think there should be cockpit design principles for the dash. Important knobs and switches should be easy to reach and easy to distinguish by both sight and feel just like they are on an airplane.

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You're a pilot. I think there should be cockpit design principles for the dash. Important knobs and switches should be easy to reach and easy to distinguish by both sight and feel just like they are on an airplane.
I only have small knobs in the cockpit as the guy who keeps me on target (pictured below) can not turn large knobs😁

·
Registered
908 Posts
I believe the knobs are common to the minivan. This may explain it - whatever else they might be, big knobs are easy to use and make sense on a minivan.

As to the other question - production run, I’m going to go off the top of my head, and it depends on how you define a chassis. But I’d guess:
Beatle - 1939-2001
Avanti/Studebaker 1963-2000?
Lada - mid 50s thru current, I think
Checker cab - mid 50s through 2008?

If we are talking just nameplates, I believe the Chevy Suburban is the oldest continuous nameplate, 1936 thru current. Corolla is 50s and I believe beats the Beatle for the most units sold. The F series may beat that as the first F truck was 1930s.

As to current cars, even trickier. The Nissan Z is well over 10 years old. The Challenger/Charger are 2004. My Fiat 500 is almost totally unchanged since 2006.
Feel free to fact check me, I could be off on some of those dates.

Reactions: travelvanvan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before they fix the knobs, can we get them to move the "CHECK VEHICLE SURROUNDINGS" ribbon in the critically longest distance portion of the rear view display? I know it disappears, but dang, it's like 20-30' of redacted pavement image.
A safety feature forged in the courtroom, not in the focus groups.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The mixer knob on my 2009 Jeep has become “stiff“, so I assume some kind of cable mechinism is the type of that knob.

On my PM I can not detect any cable movement, thus assumed it is “dial position by electrical wire”. If this is the case & it doesn’t break I prefer the PM mixer.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet Ram designer were told to use something they already have to keep cost down :)

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a work vehicle. jracca hit it on the head when he said they are big so delivery people/contractors can adjust them with gloves on.
@jracca and you are most likely right. Though I still feel it's also a stylistic element given my wife's Fiat has similarly huge knobs for HVAC. The knobs on that Fiat are so large they had room to put in LED displays for left and right passengers' desired temps.

Reactions: MrAndMrsVanlife

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having gotten the rant off my chest, I'm currently thinking of making lemonade of the situation by somehow mounting a GPS right over those knobs. My brainstorm is to have them on a hinged mounting so that I can flip the GPS up for knob access. :D

Here's my iPad simulating a large GPS.

I had been wrestling with where to put a large GPS such that I could access it easily. (e.g. on top of the dash [illegal in some places], overhead but now neck needs craning, left corner of the dash [might also be illegal in some places and too close to the window for smash and grab], etc.) I might have found a location. :p

PS: I'm interested in hearing of a good large GPS if anyone is happy with theirs. (I'll start a new thread for that.)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Having gotten the rant off my chest, I'm currently thinking of making lemonade of the situation by somehow mounting a GPS right over those knobs. My brainstorm is to have them on a hinged mounting so that I can flip the GPS up for knob access. :D

Here's my iPad simulating a large GPS.

View attachment 64404

I had been wrestling with where to put a large GPS such that I could access it easily. (e.g. on top of the dash [illegal in some places], overhead but now neck needs craning, left corner of the dash [might also be illegal in some places and too close to the window for smash and grab], etc.) I might have found a location. :p

PS: I'm interested in hearing of a good large GPS if anyone is happy with theirs. (I'll start a new thread for that.)
The iPad makes a great GPS 👍

Here is a place in Canada that you can get other GPS;

Garmin, ACR, Humminbird, Bad Elf, Dual, Spot & Lowrance GPS Systems; Ram Mounts, Metal Detectors, Amateur Radios and Accessories. BlueFox GPS Vehicle, Fleet, Personnel Tracking Service. Factory Authorized Dealer in Calgary, AB - GPS Central Canada

Here is a place you can buy "RAM" mounts - Not to be confused with Dodge Ram as just a coincidence. I use many RAM mounts in different vehicles and they are great !!

RAM Mounts from Aircraft Spruce Canada

1 - 20 of 75 Posts