Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI, 44k miles. Key stuck in ignition. Couldnt turn, pull out, put it in gear, or roll up windows. Factory warranty done, on extended warranty till 75000. Luckily.

Battery is good.

Took to dealership and diagnosed it needing a complete lock kit. This happened in august. Van has been at the dealership since then. Got a call stating lock kit is still backordered and wont see it till end of December. Lock kits are built to the Vin number. Cannot buy used or from rock auto or a parts house.

I started a claim with Chrysler Assistance. Expecting a call on Monday. I will do my best to write up what happens.

·
Registered
468 Posts
5 months without your van! that's unacceptable!! id call a lawyer!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, finally got my Van back. Time to start riding again! This is what was replaced and how FCA handled it:

First off, filing a claim with FCA will expedite parts even on backorder! I waited nearly two months to file a claim. I would file next time after two weeks... Just an FYI!

Lock kit #1 was backordered. Keys were not properly programmed. Each Lock kit comes either not programmed at all, or half programmed for security purposes. To communicate with Van they need to be built off the VIN number. They had a field service tech come to look at the situation, and an engineer. When lock kit number 1 wouldn't communicate, the service manager called and got a second kit coming.

Lock kit #2 was backordered as well but expedited... It arrived, was installed, field service tech came to unlock the BCM (body control module) and keys still didn't work. The service manager then sent both sets of keys to manufacturer and had them check the programming on said keys. They weren't programmed. Key manufacturer then programmed the second set of keys and expedited to dealership.

It worked! I guess it helps when they are programmed...

The lock kit is for the key switch(tumbler) on the steering wheel, and all the door locks.

What FCA is doing to help with this situation: Paying three months car payments for this inconvenience. Paying for 10 days car rental/reimbursement.

I have not been cut a check at this point but after heavily calling and emails sent this is where we are at. August 22 it went to dealership, and was finished December 17th. At the beginning of December, I got more aggressive with needing a vehicle that I wouldn't have to get reimbursed for, this was given to me by my local dealership, thru FCA customer service. I drove it up until the Van was finished.

Key ignition switch has never worked so well as it does now. There was times it felt awkward before. Now feels perfect. I'm wondering if I was sitting on a time bomb with the original steering wheel tumbler?

Getting the Van back after 4 months was like getting a brand new rig. I had forgotten what a pleasure to drive, and how well it fits our lives and what we do... Now for a new set of tires!

Hope this helps if anyone needs the info!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The day after I purchased my 2015, 1500 the key would not turn to start. It finally did. I sprayed a little WD-40 and so far it's fine. I'm afraid it's gong to eventually go bad. Thanks for your info.

·
Super Moderator
9,082 Posts
Jiggling the steering wheel works. It’s a PITA but very common (this may not be your problem of course but try it)

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I worked with FCA because dealer installed wrong battery, I talked them in to an oil change package for my trouble -- that's 3 free oil changes in a 2 year period. Not bad!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like u could be going down that road eventually. At least it went out in my driveway, as nothing would work! Sincerely hope it doesn't happen to you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow! That turned out ok but I don't think I could have waited that long. I would have been in trouble! Great patience!

Reactions: Ddog574

·
Registered
35 Posts
This happened with my Subaru. I had to repark multiple times in order to remove the key from the ignition. I took it back to the dealership and it didn’t take long to fix. A part that tells the ignition computer to work was broken. I’ll look it up and tell you more when I get home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, when I turn the key off sometimes I have to go back and forth on/off To get the key out. Think I’m going down the same path.
So I looked up my records regarding this. It sounds like it was because the “cvt shifter assembly internal electrical components were not functioning properly causing the ignition key to stick in the ignition switch. The shifter select lever assembly is replaced with updated part.”

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Well we don't have a CVT so it has nothing to do with our vans I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts