Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a question about key fobs. I have a 2017 RPM 1500 and it got repossessed at the end of last year. I got the van back, but when it was taken they re-keyed it - deleting the old key transmitter numbers. I had a locksmith come out to reprogram the old keys and he tried but came up with a note on his computer that said old transmitter numbers, once deleted, can never be used again. Makes sense, but I was wondering about reusing the old key fobs. Is it possible to crack them open and replace just the transmitter? The old keys still turn the ignition cylinder and the door locks. The replacement keys apparently need to be laser cut and sent from FIAT at a cost of around $300 for one key. The MOPAR giants parts replacement website says they sell the just the battery / transmitter for about $4. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I paid about $120 a year ago for 2 keys, one chipped and one non-chipped (just for opening the doors) from a local locksmith. Assuming that you have at least one working key, it can be cloned.

Not sure about the fobs, but the transmitter is probably for remote door locking and not the chip that is recognized by the transmission. I imagine that a locksmith with the right equipment could replace the key portion of the fob with a cloned key.

Look for locksmiths that can make Fiat keys, as it should be the same equipment.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
I bought a cut replacement key and fob from my dealer programed (with my existing key) for $150. Ask a dealer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I intended to buy a key from my dealer, but the dealer no longer had access to the key in their parts catalog; they could only order the fob at the time. It was quite strange, but I was looking at the monitor with the parts guy. It must have been a software issue related to updating the catalog.

That's an amazing deal for a key-fob combo RDinNHandAZ. I was quoted about $200 for a programmed fob only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
celilo
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing