Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key fob stopped locking or unlocking the doors. The only way to lock or unlock the vehicle is with the drivers side door using the key.

I guess I'm not used to janky vehicles like this thing. Is this common? My last two vehicles didn't even need a battery change in the fob for 8 years and never failed. Key fobs have been around for decades, why is this one breaking after 2 years? Rant over. Not really. A few other things annoy me about the locking. When you do unlock the doors, they all unlock--that's a bizarre design--for years most cars have been designed to only unlock the driver door, so that if someone with bad intent was hiding at the passenger side, they couldn't jump in and ambush you. I'll never let my significant other drive this thing at night. Welcome to the 1970s, Ram Locksmith dude!

There are a lot of design fails on this vehicle that don't bother me much, I guess because it never occurred to me that the key/lock/entry setup on this thing would be so poorly thought out for a vehicle used by delivery fleets, so it is sticking in my craw more than say, the impossible to reach USB port under the steering wheel. There's literally a hundred better places for that.

Also learned a kind of exciting lesson when my knee bumped that giant-ass fob while driving and turned the vehicle off. I think it had folded down 90 degrees to the key blade. Another great design, lock engineer dude! Now I try to remember to insert that janky fob/key so it can't fold down.

anyway, yes, I slammed all the doors shut a few extra times, I replaced the battery in the fob, still doesn't work. Now I'm off to try to find some blurry, half accurate youtube video to see if I can hack this thing. Now, the rant is over :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does the vehicle only have one fob, as in does the others work?

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes... there may be something fuzzy in the logic.

And lastly there may be pocket lint, french fry grease and fob weevils gumming up the internal contact areas - I've not 'renewed' my fob w/ alcohol cleaning but it might be possible...

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Angry,

Your handle says a lot.

Remember it isn’t a car. Isn’t American nor designed with Americans in mind. It is the product of an Italian company known for producing vehicles that got the nickname “Fix It Again, Tony” It is intended to be driven through the hills and valleys of Europe at the rate someone who gets 5 or 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and works a 32 hour week would. They have the temperament and time to use the key. It’s a great way to work and in many ways, a place to envy.

However your fobs don’t work because a computer glitch has resulted in the BCM not recognizing them. If you were in Europe I’d say relax, use the key and when you are relaxed and have some time, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a half hour (be patient now!), reattach it and try the fob. Then reset your clock and a bunch of other stuff the BCM keeps track of.

Ciao bella

Reactions: Sather

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the vehicle only have one fob, as in does the others work?

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes... there may be something fuzzy in the logic.

And lastly there may be pocket lint, french fry grease and fob weevils gumming up the internal contact areas - I've not 'renewed' my fob w/ alcohol cleaning but it might be possible...

I only have one fob. Thanks I'll try the battery trick. Then tear apart the fob to see if buttons or mech is gummed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angry,
Your handle says a lot.

Remember it isn’t a car. Isn’t American nor designed with Americans in mind. It is the product of an Italian company known for producing vehicles that got the nickname “Fix It Again, Tony” It is intended to be driven through the hills and valleys of Europe at the rate someone who gets 5 or 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and works a 32 hour week would. They have the temperament and time to use the key. It’s a great way to work and in many ways, a place to envy.

Well they're working twice as hard as me then. I just want what I paid for to work. I've been to europe and I realize that's an unreasonable expectation for anything from there. Most other places too, actually.

However your fobs don’t work because a computer glitch has resulted in the BCM not recognizing them.

Sounds about right. Are they still working on fixing the year 2k bug also? I'll reboot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the fob battery die after two years. Put a cheap cell in it from tractor supply. Died again two months later. Got a fresh set of better batteries from the store. Those are still good over a year later.

I have noticed the remote like to take its sweet time. Don't press the buttons too fast or it starts to shout "Domani! Domani" over and over again at you. I believe that means Tomorrow! Tomorrow! ;-) That reminded me a lot of the time I spent in Italy as a young Navy guy. Nobody rushes. They'll do a great job, but do it in their own time. It also has a nap mode. If you don't use it for a few days and then use it, it won't work on the first try. You need to count to three then try again. Gives it time to get up from its nap.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have noticed the remote like to take its sweet time. Don't press the buttons too fast or it starts to shout "Domani! Domani" over and over again at you. I believe that means Tomorrow! Tomorrow! ;-) That reminded me a lot of the time I spent in Italy as a young Navy guy. Nobody rushes. They'll do a great job, but do it in their own time. It also has a nap mode. If you don't use it for a few days and then use it, it won't work on the first try. You need to count to three then try again. Gives it time to get up from its nap.

Ha, yeah and I can appreciate the quirks. Mine seems to unlock or lock immediately, though-don't hit the wrong button, because it does like to take a nap between attempts.

I don't know if it shouts, but if it listens, I've definitely insulted in it the most profane ways.

By the way, I'm pulling both the existing usb ports to replace. The one by the cupholder failed, it probably got spilled on. Kevin sat in that design meeting and literally said "Let's put the USBs in the two worst possible places!". Kevin. :( In my van, at least, he put the usb in opposite orientation, ensuring that you will never figure out which way to plug it in on the first attempt. That's Kevin's Law of USB insertion. Anyway, I don't mind that actually. I picked up a bunch of nicer usb jacks and maybe will get those wired up while I have the battery disconnected. I got a 12v fuse block and a switch panel to do a little wiring in the cargo area so a busy hot weekend coming up! Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
uralwrench;679487 ... I have noticed the remote like to take its sweet time. Don't press the buttons too fast or it starts to shout "Domani! Domani" over and over again at you. I believe that means Tomorrow! Tomorrow! ;-) ... [/QUOTE said:
Yep, and on my fob you have to press unlock buttons in just the right spot. For instance, the cargo doors will only unlock if you carefully press that particular button along it's upper edge. Press it in the middle, "niente".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Try opening the slider and look for a button on the van body near the rear of the slider opening. Press that in with your finger and try to lock the door with your remote then. If it locks, there is s plastic part on the door that has broken off which otherwise would depress that button. Mine just broke off for the second time in a month. Back to dealer to fix, but you can McGyver something too.

Key fob stopped locking or unlocking the doors. The only way to lock or unlock the vehicle is with the drivers side door using the key.

I guess I'm not used to janky vehicles like this thing. Is this common? My last two vehicles didn't even need a battery change in the fob for 8 years and never failed. Key fobs have been around for decades, why is this one breaking after 2 years? Rant over. Not really. A few other things annoy me about the locking. When you do unlock the doors, they all unlock--that's a bizarre design--for years most cars have been designed to only unlock the driver door, so that if someone with bad intent was hiding at the passenger side, they couldn't jump in and ambush you. I'll never let my significant other drive this thing at night. Welcome to the 1970s, Ram Locksmith dude!

There are a lot of design fails on this vehicle that don't bother me much, I guess because it never occurred to me that the key/lock/entry setup on this thing would be so poorly thought out for a vehicle used by delivery fleets, so it is sticking in my craw more than say, the impossible to reach USB port under the steering wheel. There's literally a hundred better places for that.

Also learned a kind of exciting lesson when my knee bumped that giant-ass fob while driving and turned the vehicle off. I think it had folded down 90 degrees to the key blade. Another great design, lock engineer dude! Now I try to remember to insert that janky fob/key so it can't fold down.

anyway, yes, I slammed all the doors shut a few extra times, I replaced the battery in the fob, still doesn't work. Now I'm off to try to find some blurry, half accurate youtube video to see if I can hack this thing. Now, the rant is over /forum/images/PromasterForum_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

·
Registered
117 Posts
My fob stopped working, but that's because it took a dip in the Atlantic Ocean.
I'm coming from 5 Audi and VW vehicles, and I've learned to enjoy the fact that I don't have to give a **** about this van like I did those cars. This thing aggravates me from time to time, and then I find a low hanging branch and scrape it on the roof and everything is better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TL;DR Resolved by disconnecting battery and reconnecting a while later.

I get the part about not caring about beating it up a bit. I play a game with my dad. The first one to spot a white cargo van that doesn't have a dent in it wins. Loser buys lunch. It can take a surprisingly long time to win. I scraped the roof on a low hanging branch or 10 today up a the Frederick Watershed for a mountain bike ride.

Anyway, lets kill this thread with the final chapter, thank you all for your suggestions. Here's the list of stuff to try:

-fob battery
-interior fusebox fuse F38

-sliding door sensor (button on door frame gets depressed by pin on door)
-This fixed mine: Disconnect battery for a while to let BCU and electronics power down completely
-inspect fob (buttons and contacts can fail, get gummed up, corroded)
-I figure there are other door sensors but didn't bother to check them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember trying to schedule an important meeting in Florence during August, and the executives told me, "nobody will be here in August because it's too hot." OK, how about early September? "Better to wait closer to October because people take their time coming back to work after August break."

Anyway, I wanted to add a cautionary tale about spare fobs. I have a 2018 PM 159 HR bought used with only one key. Bright idea was to buy used fob online and pay local locksmith to program, as I had done with Japanese and German cars before. No such luck! After several attempts we learned the van will go into 'lockdown mode' if you fail to start it with a properly programmed key after five times.

Note that it may start, but at some point driving down the street turn off the engine and flash you a warning! Usually it flashes you the warning pretty quickly though. We were able to 'hack' it out of lockdown mode by re-pairing the original fob to the van, but even two dealers could not get the used keys to pair. (Also you have to pair all keys at once).

Ordering a new replacement key through the dealership and paying them to pair it worked. I assume the keys are one-time-programmed with the VIN from the factory, and from what I understand this was not the case with previous versions of the fob.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Both of my factory fobs for my 2019 159 HT 2500 are "balky". Meaning that I typically have to press them anywhere from 10 to 30 times before they actually activate the locks. Even standing right next to the door. Seems like a safety issue to me, although I have not brought it up with the dealer (which is 3 hours away). New batteries did nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
See post #14

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just re-read all this. Smiling. Right now the only glitchy thing on my van is the key fob's reluctance to work first try. Always works on the 2nd or 3rd though if I hold it upright in front of me. Holding it sideways seems to throw off the signal. LOL If that is the only issue I have, it's a good day!

Reactions: Deryn

·
Registered
444 Posts
You guys that have had success getting the keyfob to work after a battery disconnect: Did you disconnect both + & - and short them together? I just disconnected the negative and left it for about 0.5 hrs. No success on the key fob. The trip meters and the clock get reset, but radio station presets are still there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts