Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I really have no gripes on the build quality of my 14 PM. It had a few of the issues almost all the 14's had. But mine seems well assembled with smooth paint. Doors and hatches well fitted. I was under the back just yesterday to check the air in the spare. After 5 years, its a little dirty under there, But zero signs of rust. I paid $27k for it new. Ford dealer wanted $35k for a mid roof Transit. The PM was "good enough". I still feel that way years later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not only that but there arec2 pretty interesting you tube. Videos. One totally rips the Ford rust. Drainage issues from the front windscreen. Right on to the electronic brain. The other talks about the Benz. 1000 oil change. On the diesel. 16 oxegen sensors in the catalytic converter. $$$$

·
Registered
549 Posts
An oil change on a Promaster runs about $100 for full synthetic and you can even go to Jiffy Lube or Valvoline. My Transit owner friends pay $350 - 800 unless you can DIY, and those Jiffy-type places can't do Sprinters.
I've got a Transit with the EcoBoost and a full synthetic oil change at the dealer was $42. The 5 cylinder diesel oil changes are $110 at my dealer. Not sure who is charging $350-$800 but I'm guessing they aren't still in business with prices like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Six quarts of the correct synthetic oil can usually be found for for $24- $30, max, anywhere. The filter (Fram) is about $6. Time to change it ½ hour if you’re slow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm now in the boat where I'm deciding which van to get and am surprised by the price. Can somebody tell me why the Promaster is so much cheaper than the Transit?
I know this is 10 months old but it appears pricing has changed. I just used the "Build your own" feature at both RAM and FORD and configured a 3500 Extended with a T350 extended. I only chose options that were available on both, or were standard on one but optional on the other so that they were similarly equipped. They were both over $50K, but the PM was only $25 cheaper. I remember doing this exercise two years ago and the Promaster was significantly cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Are you saying you can do it faster if you're a little smarter?
Is that a dig at my smarts?
Nope - nothing to do with anything. I usually take an hour to do it by the time I find all my tools and clean up then get rid of the used oil?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts