Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 136" HT. Going to do a dry camping conversion. Been camping in our Honda Element for a couple of years, but with 3 dogs its gotten a little... cozy.

First time I've taken on a project of this magnitude but am confident that with lots of research and the help of some of those in this community, I will be successful.

Been researching for a couple months and have decided to insulate with polyiso insulation. Also just ordered some Fat Mat self adhesive to cover rear wheel wells and a Fantastic Fan and researching a window for the driver side.

Thanks for being here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Great. Thanks for the picture. You will be happy with the fan and those wheel wells can be way to loud if no covered. Split for a pro gun for the spray foam: https://www.amazon.com/GOCHANGE-Exp...qid=1486391244&sr=8-1&keywords=Foam+spray+gun
Try to use the Great stuff in a way that condensate can drain to the bottom, vertical lines of foam.
Polyiso is cheap, buy 1" and cut to fill all the side ribs and in the back and side door. Look at my ceiling as it is only polyiso with headliner, very efficient, easy, and easy.
Best
RD

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Here is a nice window on eBay but I don't see a screen mentioned. Crank out for sure and the crank is easy to get. I'd call them.

Reactions: Chris Johannsen

·
Registered
212 Posts
2017 136" HT. Going to do a dry camping conversion. Been camping in our Honda Element for a couple of years, but with 3 dogs its gotten a little... cozy.

First time I've taken on a project of this magnitude but am confident that with lots of research and the help of some of those in this community, I will be successful.

Been researching for a couple months and have decided to insulate with polyiso insulation. Also just ordered some Fat Mat self adhesive to cover rear wheel wells and a Fantastic Fan and researching a window for the driver side.

Thanks for being here.
Congrats on your purchase! I'm still looking and getting super antsy/impatient in looking for the right vehicle new vs used and 136" vs 159". Where you planning on buying new all along? What had you go with 136" vs 159"?

I'm hoping to follow your build thread if you start one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your purchase! I'm still looking and getting super antsy/impatient in looking for the right vehicle new vs used and 136" vs 159". Where you planning on buying new all along? What had you go with 136" vs 159"?

I'm hoping to follow your build thread if you start one.

We had a limitation on the length because our driveway is difficult to get into and we want to park it in our drive vs the street. Also, the 159 just felt too big for us. We chose to go new after spending two unsuccessful months searching for a lightly used van via the credit union's buyer service. We got what I would consider a fair price and I love that we didn't have to go into a dealership and deal with all the BS that goes along with that. I am sure that if you are the type the enjoys the bargaining process you could pay less than we did but my time is $$ and I'd rather be researching the project than declining the extended warranties and undercoatings, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Thanks for the picture. You will be happy with the fan and those wheel wells can be way to loud if no covered. Split for a pro gun for the spray foam: https://www.amazon.com/GOCHANGE-Exp...qid=1486391244&sr=8-1&keywords=Foam+spray+gun
Try to use the Great stuff in a way that condensate can drain to the bottom, vertical lines of foam.
Polyiso is cheap, buy 1" and cut to fill all the side ribs and in the back and side door. Look at my ceiling as it is only polyiso with headliner, very efficient, easy, and easy.
Best
RD
Thanks! I have been following some of your other commentary along with Gary's buildagreenrv site. I ordered the pro gun and 4 canisters from amazon this am. I'm considering doing cedar or pine tongue and groove for ceiling.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We had a limitation on the length because our driveway is difficult to get into and we want to park it in our drive vs the street. Also, the 159 just felt too big for us. We chose to go new after spending two unsuccessful months searching for a lightly used van via the credit union's buyer service. We got what I would consider a fair price and I love that we didn't have to go into a dealership and deal with all the BS that goes along with that. I am sure that if you are the type the enjoys the bargaining process you could pay less than we did but my time is $$ and I'd rather be researching the project than declining the extended warranties and undercoatings, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience Chris. I really do not like the bargaining process, especially that most of the vans are over 200 miles away driving through horrendous traffic on the east coast.

However, I think you brought good luck to my search...just like that two 136" practically fall into my lap (within 200 miles). Heading out for a test drive either Tuesday or Wednesday. These things are going like hot-cakes out here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts