Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2500 159" high roof promaster last week. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was driving a 2001 e250 cargo van, but it was at the end of its run.

Pros of promaster so far:

seats are awesome; You can sit Super high off the ground.
front wheel drive is great; works well on the snow covered roads in Ohio.
The mirrors and locks are powered.
it's pretty quick off the line; much faster than my 5.4l ford. I miss the throatiness of the V8, but this little V6 revs great. It's plenty quick. I'll have to see when I load it down how much more it has to work to achieve the same pickup.
The v6 downshifts on downgrades, which while upsetting many people, is actually a great safe feature for me. I don't want to lose control of a 5000 lb van rolling down a hill.
from a start, 1st gear is fast, the transition between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd is great--> almost seamless. 4th is a touch of a jump. You'll get to 5th on the back roads. You can hit 6th gear either manually or once you hit about 43 to 45 mph, or ease off the gas. 6th gear is nice and will be great on the freeway for mileage. I've only used a 1/2 tank of gas thus far so I'll have to report back later on the mpg.
the lights are kick ass; the dashboard cluster is orange --> sweet.
the floor is low making for an easy load in with my handicap ramp for gear (speakers, amps, drums).

Cons:
The wipers don't go slow enough in intermittent speed. They can thud across the windshield at times.
the side sliding door needs a good push to shut properly.

I've ordered an HD floorliner and wall liners from Legend Fleet Solutions (Ontario). When they arrive in a couple of weeks, I'll install and be ready to go.

I wanted to get a transit last year when I was thinking about vans. However, my old van just didn't make it. And I'm glad that it didn't. This front wheel drive will be great for my needs. No more sand bags in the back and no more knobby mastercraft courser C tires in the back to grip. This van is peppy enough. It would be sweet to rock an ecoboost and do 0-60 in like 6 seconds, but realistically, this thing is a van and I just need to be able to get on it an go quickly. The 3.6 seems to do that very well so far. I can't wait to get it out on the freeway and get it over 65. Should be interesting. Hopefully this info helps anyone interested in getting a vehicle.

As far as the cargo partition; I sat in one with a partition and it was horrible, absolutely horrible. at 6 feet and 180 lbs I couldn't move the seat into a comfortable position at all. However, the guys at legend said that ranger products would have a partition that sits back further than the ones that they have at the dealerships. Any other manufacturers that have similar options?

take it easy, happy new year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Upfits

You can order the Legend products from a company out of Illinois. Inlad van upfitters. They are the US distributor for Legend products.
Call 630-652-0003 ask for Jim

I picked up my PM 2500 159 on Christmas eve and they saved me a lot of money of the dealer upfitter.

http://www.inlad.com/store/default.aspx?departmentid=926

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the report,

I'm currently looking at the same rig (2500 159)

Keep us posted on your experience with it as the odometer racks up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the club

Just rolled over 10k in the heart of winter and you are right about the front wheel drive it is the best. The 3.6 is affected greatly in mileage by weight I seem to get 17 when loaded and as good as 21 empty pretty good over all since mine is the 3500. I wish you could shut off the downshift mode some times it is nice but in the snow and ice I want to be in control. I wish the cruise control was on the other side just a little to close the blinker. It need more handles on the A pillar to get in and on the B pillar for the cargo area even though it has a low floor it still needs a step. Over all I love it and would recommend it to anyone and I have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just rolled over 10k in the heart of winter and you are right about the front wheel drive it is the best. The 3.6 is affected greatly in mileage by weight I seem to get 17 when loaded and as good as 21 empty pretty good over all since mine is the 3500. I wish you could shut off the downshift mode some times it is nice but in the snow and ice I want to be in control. I wish the cruise control was on the other side just a little to close the blinker. It need more handles on the A pillar to get in and on the B pillar for the cargo area even though it has a low floor it still needs a step. Over all I love it and would recommend it to anyone and I have.

What weight and speeds is that 17 MPG? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to see how the mileage is. I can't quite tell yet. I've only had it a week. Once I get through a tank or two, I'll have a better initial idea. I've gone through almost a 1/2 tank so far and am coming up on 200 miles or so of only city driving. I definitely expect better than the 13mpg that I was getting on the ford though for daily driving. Can't wait to get all of my gear in it and start some gigging soon.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When it downshifts on a downgrade can you force an upshift with the lever? I don't want a downshift unless I need a downshift. I noticed this in my short test drive and its a deal killer for me unless there's someway to get around it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When it downshifts on a downgrade can you force an upshift with the lever? I don't want a downshift unless I need a downshift. I noticed this in my short test drive and its a deal killer for me unless there's someway to get around it.
Just to be curious, what is the reasoning for your not wanting it?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I found this quote on the Fiat Ducato Facebook page

Have you tried (our) Fast Off function of Comfort-Matic Gearbox?
If the accelerator is released abruptly, it will prevent the next higher gear from being engaged to avoid losing engine braking.

That quote makes me wonder if the downshifting/engine braking feature doesn't engage if you let off the gas slowly.

Seems strange Fiat would do this at all. Coasting makes for better mileage. Engine braking is good for nothing but saving brake wear. Since when is that an issue. Give me bigger brakes if it is.

Thanks to Vale72 for all the wonderful Fiat info and links.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2500 159" high roof promaster last week. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was driving a 2001 e250 cargo van, but it was at the end of its run.

Pros of promaster so far:

seats are awesome; You can sit Super high off the ground.
front wheel drive is great; works well on the snow covered roads in Ohio.
The mirrors and locks are powered.
it's pretty quick off the line; much faster than my 5.4l ford. I miss the throatiness of the V8, but this little V6 revs great. It's plenty quick. I'll have to see when I load it down how much more it has to work to achieve the same pickup.
The v6 downshifts on downgrades, which while upsetting many people, is actually a great safe feature for me. I don't want to lose control of a 5000 lb van rolling down a hill.
from a start, 1st gear is fast, the transition between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd is great--> almost seamless. 4th is a touch of a jump. You'll get to 5th on the back roads. You can hit 6th gear either manually or once you hit about 43 to 45 mph, or ease off the gas. 6th gear is nice and will be great on the freeway for mileage. I've only used a 1/2 tank of gas thus far so I'll have to report back later on the mpg.
the lights are kick ass; the dashboard cluster is orange --> sweet.
the floor is low making for an easy load in with my handicap ramp for gear (speakers, amps, drums).

Cons:
The wipers don't go slow enough in intermittent speed. They can thud across the windshield at times.
the side sliding door needs a good push to shut properly.

I've ordered an HD floorliner and wall liners from Legend Fleet Solutions (Ontario). When they arrive in a couple of weeks, I'll install and be ready to go.

I wanted to get a transit last year when I was thinking about vans. However, my old van just didn't make it. And I'm glad that it didn't. This front wheel drive will be great for my needs. No more sand bags in the back and no more knobby mastercraft courser C tires in the back to grip. This van is peppy enough. It would be sweet to rock an ecoboost and do 0-60 in like 6 seconds, but realistically, this thing is a van and I just need to be able to get on it an go quickly. The 3.6 seems to do that very well so far. I can't wait to get it out on the freeway and get it over 65. Should be interesting. Hopefully this info helps anyone interested in getting a vehicle.

As far as the cargo partition; I sat in one with a partition and it was horrible, absolutely horrible. at 6 feet and 180 lbs I couldn't move the seat into a comfortable position at all. However, the guys at legend said that ranger products would have a partition that sits back further than the ones that they have at the dealerships. Any other manufacturers that have similar options?

take it easy, happy new year.
try knapheid.com for the cargo partition. It seald off the cargo area better then most others and, has a very finished look much like the factory unit but allows full travel of the seats.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found this quote on the Fiat Ducato Facebook page

Have you tried (our) Fast Off function of Comfort-Matic Gearbox?
If the accelerator is released abruptly, it will prevent the next higher gear from being engaged to avoid losing engine braking.

That quote makes me wonder if the downshifting/engine braking feature doesn't engage if you let off the gas slowly.

Seems strange Fiat would do this at all. Coasting makes for better mileage. Engine braking is good for nothing but saving brake wear. Since when is that an issue. Give me bigger brakes if it is.

Thanks to Vale72 for all the wonderful Fiat info and links.
Thank you, Dwight!
The Comfort-Matic is the automated manual used in option since 2006 on the Ducato diesel in Europe. Probably it has a different working logic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts