Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White 1500 LR 118" WB
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car salesman: So, may I ask what is the purpose of your purchasing a new ProMaster Van?

Me: Wanderlust I guess you could say!

Phase one construction on the new van was completed a short while ago - base rack support, extra long crossbars, and a kayak lift assist device. I am still thinking about mounting a roller to an additional 3rd crossbar at the rear of the van for the purpose of loading another kayak on top. Priorities right?

Items used:
Thule TracRac Van ES #29613XT
Thule ProBar Evo 200 (79") #713700
Thule Hullavator Pro #1685448

·
Registered
2021, Promaster 159 HR 2500, Silver
364 Posts
Hey that is awesome! I have a couple of sea kayaks that I want to take along but I decided to go with a folding Oru kayak that can go in the garage. I don't have the kayak yet. I have a friend who has one and I'm waiting to get his opinion after a few months before I get one.

I think I want to save the roof space for solar and fans. But I do love your set up. That is a nice kayak!

I have always used Yakima racks and have a lot of components still. I will look at the Thule set up.

Where do you like to paddle?

-Paula

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Phase two construction: Subfloor Install.

I installed Kilmat sound deadener to quiet things down a bit in the back, not that I felt it was extremely noisy - as I always have the music cranked up a bit. But I do have to say that this material is truly amazing. It really did a awesome job as for what it is marketed for. Since I am following the "No Build Build" path right now, here is the subfloor I settled upon: After cutting 1/2-inch birch plywood to fit, I coated the pieces with mold & mildew paint - with the general thought of all the water [lakes, rivers, and ocean] that I am constantly around. Once the wood cutouts were ready to be installed, I first laid down some foam underlayment to fit the floor dimensions. The plywood was then installed - where I then drove around for a few days performing a shakedown test ride. No movement, no banging, no nothing, so I was good to go.

I didn't want to lose out on getting ride of the tie-downs, so I drilled new holes and purchased #6 longer bolts - M8X1.25X50, to allow the tie-downs to comfortably fit on top of the plywood. Lastly, I replaced the factory rubber mat to be my surface. Overall this portion of the build was simple and sweet, yet very effective for my needs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey that is awesome! I have a couple of sea kayaks that I want to take along but I decided to go with a folding Oru kayak that can go in the garage. I don't have the kayak yet. I have a friend who has one and I'm waiting to get his opinion after a few months before I get one.

I think I want to save the roof space for solar and fans. But I do love your set up. That is a nice kayak!

I have always used Yakima racks and have a lot of components still. I will look at the Thule set up.

Where do you like to paddle?

-Paula
Hi Paula,

I am a sea kayaking instructor, so I paddle all over the place. Lately, I have been traveling up & down the east coast to various states for said purposes, and pleasure paddles too.

As for the solar panal & fan reference, I haven't looked that far ahead yet, but I do believe that there is enough room available up there for them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That is the first kayak rack that made me think I could actually load them by myself on top of the van. Very nicely done. All of my paddling has been in Alaska except for a little in Maine. I'm hoping to get back to AK with my van this year but waiting to see what happens with covid (oh yeah and I have to actually finish my van!).

Love your build so far. Can't wait to see what is next!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the first kayak rack that made me think I could actually load them by myself on top of the van. Very nicely done. All of my paddling has been in Alaska except for a little in Maine. I'm hoping to get back to AK with my van this year but waiting to see what happens with covid (oh yeah and I have to actually finish my van!).

Love your build so far. Can't wait to see what is next!

The Thule Hullavator Pro is a wonderful device. It will help assist with up to 40lbs in weight when loading or unloading - depending on what type of kayak/material you are using. It definitely is a one person show operation. Everyone that I know that has one, or stumbled upon in similar situation, loves them. Such rack candy though comes with a price $$$, but after a few usages, the thought of how much money was spent quickly disappears.

Moving on, phase three of the build is next - lower panel design & install. Research ongoing as I type 🙂

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looking good! Save those extra down anchors if you have to remove them. I ended inserting some plus nuts in the roof of the C and D pillars and threaded the tie downs into them. Now I have some spots to run bungies and or paracord for hanging up wet clothing, etc to dry. One of those ah ha moments that I was really stoked on. LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed a bunch of cross nuts and hung some lower trim panels in the van in preparation for the construction of the bench/bed/storage boxes. First road trip is one month away and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The frame out of the bench/bed/kitchenette/storage system is 98% done. This 3 part set-up is constructed to be held in place utilizing the shape of the van itself, as well as incorporating the usage of #5 of the floor tie downs. I wanted to have the option if need be, to fully remove all the pieces easily if required.

Hidden storage will hold all essential kayaking related gear, food & beverage supplies, and any other incidentals deemed necessary for travel.

The pull out kitchenette draw will be located in the rear box driver's side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Though the three components of boxes fit snug as a bug, I threw in a couple pieces of hardware to maintain unity amongst all parties. A couple of 1/2 inch bolts, washers, and wing nuts, and a few barrel locks did the trick. Each of these are easily accessible for dismantling and hidden out of view.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,373 Posts
You appear to have color-matched your panels to the cab. I matched to the white metal. I don’t understand why more people don’t color match when it is so easy to do. Yours looks really good. I agree with GSA that your cuts look perfect.

I am also impressed by your careful construction, but wonder why you chose 2x4. I see a huge amount of wasted space and extra weight. Everything you are building, you could do as well or better with vertical ply. if you used 3/4” ply, you could save a cubic foot of potential storage space (huge in the context of a van) for every 20” x 32” section.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not saying anything new that hasn't been said already, but the amount of information that I've gleaned from this forum, has been amazing. So many different ideas & builds to choose from = good stuff for Promaster owners!

@MsNomer, I used 2x4's simply out of strength and durability. I have an XL athletic frame - with a past history full of busted furniture, and I felt it best to have a solid foundation underneath me when sitting or laying down. As previously mentioned, when I am not out doing my kayaking thing, I can simply remove the sections for whatever other reasons. Now I am looking forward to applying all the finishing touches. And yes, I tried to match up and keep the continuity of trim color from the cab area in the back :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of smart work here. Any updates on this build?
@Slimvest , yes there has been a lot of progress with the build, but I've been busy traveling and teaching up and down the east coast pretty much every week. I'll post some updated pics soon I promise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very ingenious idea @Baxsie, similar to that sort of a traditional skin-on-frame build qajaq. Definitely a product that will serve those well who like to paddle, but don't have the storage space or rack transport capabilities.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did you get an Oru? We have been looking at them.
Not yet. I am very busy working on subdividing land, selling house, building a cabin. Van build will probably pick up again soon because it may be interim housing between selling and building.

I do still want the oru kayak. My friend has been very happy with his. I have read some mixed reviews though. I don't think an inflatable would be better though.

Also interested in a folding electric bike.
If I sell my house it will be time to buy some toys!

Let me know if you get one or two and how you like it. I was looking at the bay model since I would mostly use it in Ocean.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.