Ram Promaster Forum banner

just 49000 miles and transmission has to be replaced. Any thoughts on a new transmission ETA?

505 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  RamCares
Hello everyone.
I've bought used 2021 RAM Promaster 3500 Cutaway box truck back in Dec 20th, 2022 for $49000 with 48200 miles on it. Testdrove it with no any issues. I have experience with cars and know how bad engine/transmission performs/acts. Drove it from Ohio to Philadelphia with no issues. Spent 2 weeks installing a sleeper in it and finally was ready to drive to make money. Quit my trucking job and applied to be a contractor with several companies. Was approved. But something inside me was saying to not drive far away from home. I even bid on some long distance loads with no luck. So, long story short I was able to make just 2 local runs with total about 300 miles when on Friday 13th I was heading home and did stop at KFC to get some chicken for dinner. When I returned to my vehicle transmission didn't engaged in D after R and truck did start rolling back and in about 2-3 second I did feel a drag. Ok. I did start driving normally when CEL came up and truck didn't go over 40 mph with like 5000 rpm. So, transmission went into "limp mode". Next day I took it to my mechanic where codes (P0868, P083B) did show low transmission fluids. On Monday mechanic did try to change transmission fluid (it was a lil bit low than should be but still ok) and filter. reset CEL but it didn't help. Still got stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and they found a lot of metal shavings in old fluid. Took it to a dealer last week. Was pain in a butt to find a dealer who would work on those box trucks (10 ft height). Called them yesterday and they said that in needs a new transmission but they are still working to get replacement authorization and even didn't give me ETA for a new transmission. He said all transmissions on back order and factory doesn't provide ETA. My payment for the truck is $1100 (with extended warranty) and insurance is another $1000. Does anybody know when is it possible to get a transmission? May be somebody is in the same situation right now and I would like to hear any thoughts. Thanks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,040 Posts
That's a real bummer! I mean it's good that you're still under warranty, but being without your truck and not having any idea when it might be back in service is a real dilemma, especially right off the bat into a new business venture.

I know it's not reassuring, but I've heard some horrific stories about long waits for repairs over the last year or two. If it was me, I would plan it as if your truck is going to be out of commission for months, not days or weeks. If that means going back to your previous driving job, or even picking up another one that would probably be preferrable to waiting it out and having bills pile up without income. At least the job market is still at a point where that's possible in most areas.

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts
If you're based out of Ohio and your warranty ends there is a shop in Barberton OH that only works on Promasters, called Promasters Only :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're based out of Ohio and your warranty ends there is a shop in Barberton OH that only works on Promasters, called Promasters Only :)
Thank you but I'm from Philadelphia :( a friend of mine that has 6 Promasters told me he knows another dealership in Miami that will fix my truck much sooner but I don't want to send it there. Simply I don't have extra several hundred dollars to pay for transportation service

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
He's also a member of the forum, kip-on-truckin, he runs expediting vans and since dealers suck he opened a shop.
His youtube channel on Promasters
To add onto this, many folks in the FB group have mentioned that Kip has even just talked to them and walked them through some diagnostics over the phone. So it seems like he really wants to just pass on som eknowledge to folks.

· Registered
182 Posts
Maybe @RamCares can help your dealer expedite a warranty transmission?
Thanks so much for tagging us in this! It's the best way to get ahold of us other than sending a DM! We'll look into sending them a direct message at this early stage. Thanks!

Callie
Ram Cares

Reactions: FrankFrankFrank

· Registered
182 Posts
How can I contact them? I can't find a link in their profile to send PM
Hey there,

We've sent you a direct message! We look forward to finding a resolution with you!

Callie
Ram Cares

1 - 16 of 16 Posts