Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best approach to jump another vehicle from the promaster?
Cant really get to the battery posts (from what I can see) very easily because the negative post's quick release doodad and the little plastic plate running around the positive side. I was hoping there was an extra negative lead under the hood like the positive for jumping the promaster but no luck.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@RV8R thanks for the reply, but I need the info for jumping ANOTHER vehicle from the Promaster. I have always been under the impression you need to be on the Positive and Negative terminals of the "alive" Battery (the promaster in this case) and then you ground on the frame of the dead car (not the promaster).

Or have I been wrong and you can jump from JUST the positive terminal of the Live car's battery then ground on the frame somewhere?

My understanding if that worked would then be:
Promaster (Good battery): Positive on the positive tab under the hood, negative on the little metal ground bolt
Other Care (dead battery): Positive on Positive and negative on the negative post or would I ground it on the frame somewhere instead of the post?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,482 Posts
You can use any good ground on either vehicle but it is advised that the last or fourth connection you make is to a ground point away from the battery. The last connection completes the circuit and often makes a spark so just in case the battery has been producing flammable gases you don't want to make those sparks at a terminal on a battery.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can use any good ground on either vehicle but it is advised that the last or fourth connection you make is to a ground point away from the battery. The last connection completes the circuit and often makes a spark so just in case the battery has been producing flammable gases you don't want to make those sparks at a terminal on a battery.
Thats a good explain. I like this guy Ave on Youtube for his instructive advice on topics.

·
Registered
2019-159 HR in PNW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@83Grumman Thanks, I learned something new today! I will see if I can get this other car fired up from the positive post under the promaster hood now knowing I dont need to be on both terminals on the "good" battery side. I appreciate the help everybody! I learned something new today about jumping cars and not neccisarily needing to use the negative battery post on the Donor vehicle side.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,815 Posts
Jump starting is right in the owners manual. Page 95 for my 2019 edition. There's also a negative stud right up on the front right, just above the grill section. It's clearly marked with a sticker. Check your manual if you're not sure.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
550 Posts
My understanding if that worked would then be:
Promaster (Good battery): Positive on the positive tab under the hood, negative on the little metal ground bolt
Other Care (dead battery): Positive on Positive and negative on the negative post or would I ground it on the frame somewhere instead of the post?
Yes to all of the above.
The Positive Tab under the hood goes directly to the positive post of the battery, does not pass Go, does not collect $200 ! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.