Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 6 weeks into the process of converting a 2014 118" low top promaster and have most of the outside done, with 2 100 watt solar panels, a Maxxfan, antennas for Cb and 440 MHz ham radio. I have a ladder installed to clean the panels and both water entry and electrical entry installed. This will have 2 twin beds and a sink with a ten gallon supply tank. Two AGM grp 27 Trojan batteries and a 50 qt Yeti ice chest. I've chosen not to put propane in the van as this is a shorty and room is at a premium. Because we timeshare, we opted for the 118" model to make it easier to put in a normal parking space. This will be used in tandem with our timeshare stops. The one problem I've run into is water leaking in the slider windows that I've installed. I've put in 3 solders and they all leak...living in Washington, this is a real issue and it has me waiting on the inside until I get that figured out. It seems the short van has a reasonable height difference front to back and water that builds up in the window channel may not have the oportunity to make it to the weep holes. Also, the sides of the van are not perpendicular to the ground, which makes the bottom of the windows stick out farther and catch more rain. Vintage Campers sells white aluminum rain caps that will mount above the windows and stick out 1 1/4" and I'm thinking about going that way. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how....jim in Seattle

·
Super Moderator
10,131 Posts
A good example of why you should have used awning windows rather than sliders. Did you use buteo tape when you installed them? If not try removing the windows and sealing them better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows

I did seal them up well with butyl tape. I agree that I should have used different windows. I didn't notice the slight toe out of the side if the van. I am going to measure the slope of the van over the height of the windows and see if the 1 1/4" rain awning will work to shed enough of the rain. I've also got to take a look at the weep holes and make sure they are open and sloped enough to work on most slopes. I hate the idea of having to replace the windows but it it is doable as these are smaller than most of those used on these vans.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry about your windows and I have no answers but I noticed you mentioned a ladder to clean the panels. I don't want to be Debbie downer here but it will make them easier to steal. Looking forward to progress reports on your progress.

·
Super Moderator
10,131 Posts
Just a thought but are the drain holes plunged? Are their drain holes or channels on your windows. The promaster's side walls are much more vertical and flatter than just about any other van's and this is not a problem most, if anyone, seems to have. Defective windows or installation would be my guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
windows

The lower area of the van where the windows mount is definitely off plumb from the upper. I am traveling right now so won't be home to measure it until next week. These are Minro windows and the mounting was fairly easy and they pulled into the tape quite well. You can see where the water is flowing into the lower channel at too great a rate to keep it from flowing back up the channel on the inside and over the top. No water is coming down the inner skin of the van, it is coming down from over the top of the inner channel lip. It has been raining here in Oregon every day for the last week and is quite evident where it is coming from. The weep holes are just that.....they allow water to weep....not flow and they are being over burdened, especially when the windows are closed as the slider glass frame takes up most of the room in the channel and the water has no room to pool before being "weeped" out. Very poor design for the Northwest.....or anywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not too worried about the panels being stolen....I live in a pretty safe environment and the van is parked in the driveway where the surveillance is evident. Anybody trying to steal them would have quite a time of it and my guess is they would end up breaking them in the effort. Panels are a theft liability on any RV when all you have to do is drive another car up next to them and work off the roof of it. Thinking through this, I would hate to try to remove those panels without a platform to work from at the side of the van. Far easier to break a window and steal the contents. Are solar panels a desired item on the underworld of car burglary? Of course all this is rationalization, but I'm really not too worried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts