Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When ours was just an empty shell, I definitely noticed the tendency to spin-out on gravel, or lock rear brakes going down a steep hill. Those have both disappeared now that its well loaded all the time. My only gripe now is its resistance to get moving from a standstill. Even on small grades, it can take a fair bit of gas-pedal to get it moving, and when it finally does, it leaps forward. Nothing extreme, but it does make it tough to make small adjustments in your position, like getting up on blocks, etc. At those times, I wish it was a diesel. When I take it in for recalls, I will ask if there are any transmission adjustments that would help.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was going to say that @jracca van may be heavier than others...i had a ton of stone in my van last week and I could tell the difference.

I too find the initial acceleration to be very jumpy, I dont like it. I am used to driving underpowered vehicles with different gearing. I dont think the jumpyness has to do with availability of power but more with gearing.

Since this is a commercial vehicle built to haul thousands of pounds of cargo it could be that the designers were designing it to not be a pig when fully loaded but I think the main reason is american consumers have a preference for this gearing.

Someday maybe we;ll be able to reprogram the tranny to correct this/suit our driving preferences.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
They sell things like - pedal commander - that can alter the gas pedal signals.

Not many user reviews with the eco modes.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm not sure how you would reprogram the trans as far as gearing. The gears are mechanical, physical components that can't change their size.
I suppose you could change the shift points and fuel maps.
But the shift points vary according to throttle input, rpm, etc. So setting them differently wouldn't affect much of anything because they will still vary in the fly. The mechanical gears are the same size and ratios, so it would still take off at the same rate.
You could dial back the fuel maps, but that would just make it lag at take off and put more stress on the engine.
I think it really just comes down to getting used to it and feathering the throttle from a stop.
I remember my 2011 pickup had 4:30 rear end and was geared for towing. People complained is was jumpy off the line when unloaded (I liked it and had no issues avoiding it by controlling my foot). Enough people complained that the next model refresh in 2014, the truck was mechanically identical in every way, but they reprogrammed the fuel maps to have a smoother acceleration curve.
I suppose you could do that with the promaster, but I think more people would be unhappy with a sluggish take off than you have people who are unhappy with it being jumpy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was going to say that @jracca van may be heavier than others...i had a ton of stone in my van last week and I could tell the difference.

I too find the initial acceleration to be very jumpy, I dont like it. I am used to driving underpowered vehicles with different gearing. I dont think the jumpyness has to do with availability of power but more with gearing.

Since this is a commercial vehicle built to haul thousands of pounds of cargo it could be that the designers were designing it to not be a pig when fully loaded but I think the main reason is american consumers have a preference for this gearing.

Someday maybe we;ll be able to reprogram the tranny to correct this/suit our driving preferences.
Could be, before renovation with just me and a normal load of stuff, it weighed 7700 pounds

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
BTW, most of the people that complained about the 2 generation truck being too jumpy,....complained that the 3rd generation truck felt like it didn't have enough power.
The same people complained that the back seats slid forward, backward and backs folded down,....but the the bottoms didn't fold up.
In order to have the bottoms fold up, all the other features had to go away.
Those same people got their fold up bottoms in 2014,....then complained that the seats didn't slide or have the backs fold down. And so it goes.
You get my drift.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
BTW, most of the people that complained about the 2 generation truck being too jumpy,....complained that the 3rd generation truck felt like it didn't have enough power.
The same people complained that the back seats slid forward, backward and backs folded down,....but the the bottoms didn't fold up.
In order to have the bottoms fold up, all the other features had to go away.
Those same people got their fold up bottoms in 2014,....then complained that the seats didn't slide or have the backs fold down. And so it goes.
You get my drift.
I think your reply stinks. My 2019 is too fast off the line and I can't even rest my foot on it on the highway so I just have just my big toe on it. But it gets 22.6 mpg so I'll live with it and enjoy surprising people with how fast it is.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
think your reply stinks
Yeah, it probably hurt some feelings, but it's the truth. People are never happy. They complain about something and say they want it changed, so you change it to what they want and they either complain about that, or complain about what they gave up to get what they wanted.
It's like a baby crying for a bottle, you give it to them and they throw it on the floor. Then they cry for the bottle again. They don't know what they want and they cry about whatever you give them. That's just how people are. Another thing people seem to love to do is immediately blame everything but themselves when something doesn't function properly.
Everyone wants everything controlled by computers so that, no matter how uncoordinated or inattentive they are, the computer will take over and fill in, every time they screw up.
This phenomenon is not specific to promasters or the promaster gas pedal. We've become a society of spoiled complainers that have lost perspective.
It wasn't that long ago that vehicles looked like my avatar and were powered by a horse. Talk about a touchy gas pedal.
If those folks could hear some of the complaints today.
At the end of the day, the van is geared to get moving faster off the start and get up to speed quickly, because it's intended to be a delivery van with heavy cargo.
If you're struggling with driving it,......the manufacturer shouldn't change it/bubble wrap/idiot proof it. That would ruin it for the rest of the people that need it to function as it is.
Maybe practice in a parking lot until you get used to it?
I dunno, I just know that it's not the van's fault. I just know that it gets a little frustrating to constantly watch great products being changed and ruined, so they can make them more user friendly for people who aren't good at using them.
What's next, rubber chainsaw blades?
;)

·
Super Moderator
9,027 Posts
I vote for rubber nails so they don’t get hurt too much when you hit them. But, otherwise, you’re correct.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
RnR- Gee you have just been nominated and elected to the Promaster Forum Curmudgeon group. KOV and I and about 25 other members welcome you. Everyone else Flame Away!

Reactions: RnR

·
Super Moderator
9,027 Posts
He may not want to join when he discovers what the initiation ritual involves🤔

·
Super Moderator
9,027 Posts
You get that after the initiation (if you’re still around).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe its because I rode sidecar rigs for so many years. They handle funny as they are an asymmetrical tricycle. Brake and they swerve left, accelerate and they swerve right. You learn to use these handling quirks to your advantage. Or..... you go nuts and have near accidents and curse it and sell it off blaming the machine for being what it is. ;-)
I too immediately found my van would try to burn rubber in first and chirp rubber into second gear. Even with all that weight on the drive tires! Big difference from the numb though torquey response I was used to in my older E350 van. As an old mechanic, I tend to sympathize with the machine and care for it. I will very much adjust my driving to meet its needs. So I immediately got gentle on the pedal. I let it ease forwards before applying a little power. When I have the front wheels turned over tight in a parking maneuver, I stay off the pedal as much as possible to avoid straining the CV joints. It IS very quick to reach 40 mph and then not so quick to reach 60 mph. That is fine. Physics of it are what they are. Doesn't bother me. Coming up 5 years with the van this month. Just one more payment to go! Drivetrain warranty expiring. Being a 14 mine had the old LONG warranty!
Still really like the van, still drives like new. 17 mpg around town and 21-22 out on the road. No weeps or leaks or rust. I am coming up on getting new tires this winter. But on the good side, the old OEM Vanco's are worn very even and still run very smooth on the road. Makes me think it has held its alignment well!
Its definitely the cheap van that is good enough. I do consider it easier to live with than my 08 Ford E350 as a daily driver.

Reactions: MaggieMarty
41 - 57 of 57 Posts