Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,649 Posts
I don’t know much about automatic transmissions but doesn’t the torque converter let the engine rev a bit and provide lots of low end torque to snap your neck back and impress you? When it locks up it then only allows the acceleration the engine provides at that rpm so it may feel more like a dog. I’ll gladly accept corrections to this thinking if my long held belief is in error.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You are correct.

Slippage allows for torque multiplication and lock up for fuel econmy.

Conditions for lockup in the PM is unknown to me. Pre PM 62TEs it was something like 35mph, 3 gear and some other conditions.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
397 Posts
Isn’t inserting a comment like this called a red herring? To jump to the “bait” I’d suggest the behavior may be why the gasser gets 17 mpg and my manual diesel gets 27!
17? We averaged 15.5mpg over 7000 miles with a 3400lbs of travel trailer behind us. Oregon to Wisconsin by way of Denver and the rockies.

Consistently get 18.5mpg when just rolling around with a couple of dirt bikes and gear in the back.

Fairly easy to get 20 or so when driving easy on the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,649 Posts
Since you brought it up I am consistently getting 28-29 but I’m trying to keep the gasser folks from getting agitated. I have used the 17 example many times as a reasonable average. Good for you. The 15.5 pulling is even more impressive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We're into 4 years with our 2014, and it's still jumpy from a start IMHO. I'm getting more careful with jackrabbit starts, and I have size 14 feet, so I believed that it's my "touch" and the van is designed to be responsive. I can't see any "learning" change in ours, but I have noted that it's zippy at half throttle off the line, to about 40mph, then it's quite mellow. If you want to accelerate into traffic going 60 and up, you'll have to lean on it after it gets to 40. Which is just fine by me. So far that V6 hasn't done much but impress me on highway and short trips, both. We keep Trip B on a long avg to see, it's getting some 16.5+ mpg avg with average MPH at something like 30mph, since we do a lot of local driving also on service calls. I can't complain. Do I like that traction control starting out in ice and snow?......that's another discussion or string; it's different, I'll say that much.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I first got my Promaster, the abrupt acceleration bothered me. Two years later, it still seems excessive, but I have developed a cautious touch with my foot. When I went to the dealer for my first oil change, I asked if the acceleration could be adjusted. I was told "no". Has anyone else asked? Any different answers?

·
Premium Member
8,649 Posts
R/T doesn’t stand for relaxed takeoff? That’s what my diesel thinks.

Reactions: uralwrench

·
Registered
473 Posts
Huh, I always thought R/T stood for Road/Track... foiled again! Any how, @ 5000 feet elevation jackrabbit starts are moderated pretty well from lack of O2. Recently I drove to Florida and by the time I got to Saint Louis I had more HP and was chirping the tires at every start. I had to really concentrate and let it roll for a good 5-10 feet before I rolled on the throttle. It was odd because I’ve had this van for 4 years and it’s usually loaded with tools and materials and being at 5000 ft. smooths out the acceleration. But loaded with tools at sea level took a bit of learning on my part to let it roll a bit before jumping on the throttle.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine does it too, its normal, mine is loaded down, I think its the gearing, mine will do a burnout depending on if I am turning or on slippery road..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to put a heavier resistance spring on it so I don't have to hold my big foot up to touch it dainty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I want to put a heavier resistance spring on it so I don't have to hold my big foot up to touch it dainty.
A heavier spring might be regrettable on a long trip.

·
Registered
2020 ProMaster 1500 HR 136, dual sliders, dual factory swivel seats.
52 Posts
I've had my 2020 PM 1500 HR 136 WB for just over a month. It isn't my daily driver, so as I work on building the interior out, I've put less than 200 miles on it so far. I've read hints that the computer may recalibrate certain setting based on the user's driver styles. Is that true? And if so, I really hope it learns I don't like to lurch into the car ahead of me or behind, as I try to parallel park! The touchiness of the accelerator pedal is unreal. It wants to lay rubber just when parking.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have never experienced this touchiness in my 2018 3500. I don't know if there is some difference in driving, but I operate my van in the snow in the Northeast and I have never spun the tires when I did not intend to, on snow, wet grass, gravel.

Maybe I should take a ride with someone else in theirs and see if it feels different. Maybe I just drive with a very light foot.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I haven't either. It's all driver input.
It's definitely geared to get moving quickly from a start, but falls on it's face in 6th gear. Makes sense for a Stop n go delivery van with a V6.
I also don't buy the computer learning your driving habits theory. I'm not really sure what it would learn and what it would do differently.
Pretty sure the transmission behaves in real time, based on driver input.
I also don't notice any difference in shift points when tow/haul is engaged. Starting to think that button is a placebo.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts