Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I was recently on a road trip - had my small Jackery 150 charging while I was driving. I stopped to get a sandwich. Couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Came back and my battery was dead. Engine would not turn over, had to get a jump.
I was sure the 12v was not on when the van was not running! Anyone know how this could have happened? Was the could the Jackery be pulling more than the alternator is producing while driving and thus draining the battery?
Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Was the Jackery plugged in when you attempted to start the van?

If it is drawing on the battery but the alternator is not producing any power, it could easily make it so that the battery doesn't have enough power to turn over the engine.

If you also have an older battery, this could especially be the case. The battery could be on the verge of failing but still look good for the basic start functions until something like this comes along (or possibly until it is really cold out).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! It was plugged in, but then I unplugged it and everything was still black, my key was locked in the ignition. As soon as I had a jumper hooked up, it all went normal. Only 7K miles on this battery...
Thanks for the chime in. Funny thing, I plugged same Jackery into my Honda, while it was on, drove for about 20 minutes then unplugged and drove for another 10. When I went to start it again, it acted like it was dead. I was very bummed! I popped the hood, got out my jumper cables,and suddenly it started beeping as it does when the key is in and the driver's door is open. I turned the key and it started right away.
Next time I drove the Honda with no jackery involved at all, it did the same thing - acted dead until I fiddled with the key. No problems since. Weird? I've been afraid to plug it back into my Promaster.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
On some vehicles, the 12 volt outlets can be programmed. (sometimes only by the dealer).

Sometimes the options are:
  • Turn on/ off with the engine
  • Turn on / off with the engine, but with a time delay to leave it on for a while
  • Leave on all of the time

In 30 minutes, a power system can easily draw off enough power from the starter battery to make the voltage lower than desired if the engine is not running.

In a normal vehicle, the alternator is sized to recharge the "starter battery" fairly quickly, but ideally each time you start, drive at least 15 minutes just to do this part. Not just stop and go real driving.

For charging these power systems, perhaps try first driving for 15 minutes to charge the starter battery, and then unplug the power unit 10 minutes before you turn the engine off.

Out of curiosity, do you have a heavy duty alternator or just the basic one?

I would not expect this to be a problem, but I wonder if there is RF feedback into the vehicle electrical system from their input charger?

What kind of electrical diagnostic tools do you own?

·
Registered
147 Posts
First, I don't think any 12V consumer connected via cigarette outlet should have caused any issues (except blowing a fuse) in normal situation.

Second, I would suggest checking your alternator function (most places selling batteries can help).

Third, previous poster is probably correct and your battery was probably already "walking dead" and you just didn't know. But still, since it died suddenly after being supposedly charged and not discharged afterwards (van cuts cigarette outlet together with the radio) there is a higher chance of charging issues with the battery being dead as a consequence.

·
Registered
2014 High Top Promaster 2500 136” WB
4 Posts
I use the Jackery 1000 as my off grid power. It pulls less than 80 watts charging via the 12v plug. My 2014 PM shuts off 12v plugs with the key off. No way it killed your battery unless it has failed in someway. My battery failed a couple of weeks ago and turned out is was the factory battery. Just old and tired like me.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,074 Posts
Is there any corrosion on your battery terminals? It looks like white frost?

Especially if there is corrosion at even if there is not, try cleaning your battery terminals (the Honda sounds like classic symptoms to me).

Remove the terminal, wire brush everything (there are tools for that), smear everything with thick grease or battery terminal protectant (to prevent future corrosion) then reinstall with a twisting motion and tighten.

That has solved a lot of "battery" problems for me over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts