·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,426 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Batteries have become the expensive part of a van electrical system and this is a great battery at a great price.

·
Registered
2020 RAM ProMaster 1500 LR 118"
408 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,216 Posts
two 6v 215ah batteries connected in series will get you 215ah in 12v. That is my current setup. But they are so heavy(66lb for each battery) that its is not easy to move around. I have mine enclosed in a box along with all my electronic. If you want to built a portable unit, it have to be lithium battery.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I know this is Li-ion and not LiFePo4, but could be of interest. And on sale at Costco now.

11 lbs? Hard to believe it is 540 Wh. It is certainly a bargain if the specs are correct. It is just a bit small, power wise, to run a chest refrigerator IMHO. I could have built the WattBox for that price with Li-Ion. I am convinced these are the future of powering our lives off grid when capacity doubles and the price halves. LiFePO4, 1200 Wh for <$500 and 25 pounds seems to me to be the tipping point. The batteries are getting close to that, the rest is cheap for a manufacturer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
11 lbs? Hard to believe it is 540 Wh. It is certainly a bargain if the specs are correct. It is just a bit small, power wise, to run a chest refrigerator IMHO. I could have built the WattBox for that price with Li-Ion. I am convinced these are the future of powering our lives off grid when capacity doubles and the price halves. LiFePO4, 1200 Wh for <$500 and 25 pounds seems to me to be the tipping point. The batteries are getting close to that, the rest is cheap for a manufacturer.
I ordered one yesterday. Figured it is worth trying out as a backup to my 2 6V Sams GC van batteries. And something portable for other uses as well. Plus it includes a pure sine wave inverter. I also have a Massimo 50L fridge which this unit is claimed to run. If it doesn't work out, I can easily return it to any Costco.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lifepo4 cells are getting pretty cheap, people are getting ~270ah at 12v for under $500 with shipping direct from manufacturers in China.

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wait! Those numbers seem too high. I paid $399 for 50 Ah at 12.7 volts. Thats about 650 Watt-hours. You mean I could now get 3240 Watt hours of LiFePO4 for $500? Can you give me a URL for one? That battery would weigh 60-70 Pounds? Kind of big for a portable. BUT that is REAL power!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thread 'Lishen 270ah-272ah cell group buy.' Lishen 270ah-272ah cell group buy.

There's a guy that has been facilitating orders with several suppliers in China, people seem happy dealing with him and he's placed enough orders that the suppliers will give him bulk rates for even a few cells.

Or you can just go on Alibaba and go through the process of importing yourself, which sounds somewhat byzantine to me.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
There are two challenges with using Li Ion vs LiFe based setups:
  • Safety / risk / reward becomes an even bigger deal
  • Pack voltage vs van needs

Take a look at the GZ, Jackery and similar systems. One of the ways that they achieve this price / performance is a 3 cell pack inside vs a 4 cell LiFe pack.

A 4 cell LiFe pack is almost the perfect voltage for van use, especially the needs of most 12 volt DC refrigerators and the fuel heaters.

A 3 cell Li Ion pack only covers this need when it is largely charged.

This is why GZ and others sell an add on DC - DC converter to raise the output voltage for these appliances.

If you go down this path, then it is likely that your system will have similar voltage related challenges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Would it be possible to get wiring diagram for this project?

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Hmmmm. I built this several years ago and honestly I would have to reverse engineer a wiring diagram at this time. It is caveman simple if you ignore the particulars of the specific components.

Battery - (negative) to meter shunt then to a main fuse and to a - buss bar. The battery + to main switch, then to + buss bar with fuses. These fused buss bar connections have input from the solar controller and a charge port. They also output to several ports to facilitate your needs including USB, cigar, SAE, Anderson.

My connectors would differ from other’s as would the particular solar controller, LiFePO4 enabled charger, Solar panel, etc.

If that isn’t information enough let me know.

BTW two plus years of use to run my Alpicool refrigerator and occasional other applications has been faultless and dependable. Good luck.

proeddie is in the process of building a larger version and will probably publish soon.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,569 Posts
My juiceBOX thread is here:

12.8V, 100Ah = 1280Wh It's a Renogy 100Ah Bluetooth LiFePo battery purchased a few weeks ago for $397 (Renogy sells cheap on eBay)

Mine has a 12V input/output (for solar, charger, or inverter) and a dual fused USB outlet... RD-inspired !

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,216 Posts
@Jpthebeau
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I have a 50 mmp fuse in the negative feed to the bus bar and appropriate sized fuses in each positive feed, but yess close.
I chose a buss/fuse bar that could keep the negative well seperate from the positive. see:

You didn’t show the SOC meter wired into the shunt either. Follow the directions that come with the meter.
Line Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

I’ve found the SOC meter essential as my use is not constant and I may not recharge for weeks sometimes.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts