Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice project and looks like it was a lot of fun to put together. But your price comparision ($2,000) is a little high.

A Jackery 500 (43 Amps @ 12v) is $500 and has a MPPT controller (the Renogy controller used in your box is a PWM) from Jackery's site with free shipping. A Goal Zero Yeti 500X (42 Amps @ 12v) is $700. It is also MPPT and includes USB C PD ports, which can charge a modern laptop directly, and also quick charge phones that support it. Both of these units use high-quality parts (teardowns are available on youtube).

The big rip off for those units, and maybe where you get the $2,000 number, is the proprietary solar panels, but you can just buy adapter connectors that adapt proprietary plugs to MC4 and use any panel you'd like. So for each of those, you could use the same 100 watt panel and a ~$25 adapter.

I'd be interested in a long-term review of the Alpicool if you buy it (wasn't sure if you're just showing what's possible or if you actually purchased it).

·
Registered
156 Posts
A Jackery 500 has less than half the power of mine:
From their site: "518Wh(24Ah) lithium battery"
So you see that getting the A-H is the only way to compare!!
They're actually not that far apart, but it's not obvious since Jackery quotes battery capacity in a confusing way.

For the 500, it is 24 A-H @ 21.6 volts. 24 A-H * 21.6 volts = 518.4 watts. For the 1000, it is 46.4 A-H @ 21.6 v. 46.4 * 21.6 = 1002 Watts.

AIMS quotes battery capacity the "normal" way (amps at around 12 volts - 12.8, in their case).

To compare apples to apples, in my initial post, I re-calculated the amp hours of the Jackery at 12 volts, since that is how AIMS quotes battery capacity.

So, my math for the Jackery 500: 518.4 watts / 12 volts = 43.2 A-H. This is ~10 A-H less than the AIMS battery you used, which is 50 A-H @ 12.8 volts = 53.3 A-H @ 12 volts.

The moral of this story is that watt hours is a better way to talk about power station capacity. The RD custom built power station is a 640 watt hour unit, so it falls between a Jackery 1000 and Jackery 500 in capacity. I agree that the AIMS is probably a better battery chemistry, and it is rated for more charge/discharge cycles in it than the Jackery, so one of the wins of a d-i-y powerstation is you get to choose each component.

Sounds like that Alpicool is a nice fridge. Bluetooth would be a nice feature.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts