Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I recently bought a 2015 PM 3500 with the diesel 3.0l engine, with 169,000 miles on it, it is throwing me the code and telling me on the EIC display that the #2 glowplug is bad, so I have been reading and researching what a nightmare these things are to replace, so I pull my grill and radiator support off to gain access, and as directed by many, I sprayed the easiest one to get at down with penetrating oil, then heated the engine up really good, sprayed it down again and let it sit, then heated engine up again, I put a 1/4 drive small ratchet on it and barely gave it any torque, and of course it snapped it off! So my question is, have any of you successfully used a broken glowplug removal tool, like the one in this video on the 3.0l Fiat engine?

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Krol is the penetrant you need. I haven’t used the tools. When the time comes I plan to take it to an independent diesel shop and let them do the removal. You probably have learned that it is not the threads but the protruding end that is seized so the glow plug breaks off. Let us know what you do. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found myself in the same situation last winter, 3 glow plugs down, tried all the recommended procedures and snapped off the first 2 before calling it quits. It is currently running with 2 broken off glow plugs and a check engine light on. I had a Sprinter prior to this and have a similar tool to extract the glow plug. After adapting it to the PM i was unsuccessful in removing the broken ones. The head will most likely need to be replaced at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts