Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Long time dreamer. Recent life events have allowed me to pursue the lifestyle I've been wanting to for sometime. Grew up spending summers on my grandfathers boat and have dreamed of a similar lifestyle ever since.

My original thought was a sailboat, but it doesn't fit my current lifestyle...alas, a ProMaster build out does.

Haven't purchased one yet, need to sell my current vehicle first, but it should happen in the coming weeks.

Plan to build out a 159 EXT, live in it full time and use it as a daily driver.

I live an extremely active lifestyle and still work full time so there are a few things that I am not willing to part with, IE shower.

I have done a drawing via SketchUp. The build will be the typical bikes under bed type design.

I still have a lot of specifics to figure out, but I plan to use propane for heat and cooktop. A third of the 'garage' will be used to house my propane tank and batteries.

Thanks for all the information thats in this forum, you guys rock!

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Ive been browsing that thread. I plan to start a new thread with my build plans and a spreadsheet of major items plan to purchase, as well as the many questions I have.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depending on your living style, easy access to storage can be a premium. I think you could add overhead storage above the table bench without hampering headroom and no loss of floor space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated layout with a few changes including the over bench storage.

I plan to use PolyIsocyanurate .5" on the floors and 1" on the walls and ceiling with plywood over it. I will cover the floors with vinyl flooring. I see people using hard plywood here, is there a reason for not just using something like pine since it gets covered anyways?

I plan to buy an Engel MR040F-U1 and have it stored under my bench seat by the table. Would it be safe to keep the fridge in an enclosed compartment or does it need venting? I could always add a vent to the compartment next to the drivers chair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For plywood, you want small and infrequent voids (air gaps in the plys) and the more plys the better. Regular construction-grade plywood, commonly made from softwood conifers like pine and fir, tends to fall short on both counts. Because hardwood plywood is mainly used for cabinetry (etc), it tends to have fewer/smaller voids and more plys, which makes it stiffer, stronger, and way nicer to work with. But cabinet-grade plywood can also be made from softwoods. I'm using Baltic birch plywood, a Russian/Finnish hardwood. It's cabinet grade, looks and behaves nice, and it's relatively inexpensive. It's actually cheaper and nicer than our locally-grown cabinet/marine-grade fir plywood.

All-electric fridges (Engel, etc) don't require exterior venting like propane fridges. I imagine a freestanding Engel just needs some room for air circulation around it's vents. Someone with an Engel can confirm that, or you can probably download the owner's manual. I find that's the best way to learn about stuff I am thinking about buying. Short on sales hype, long on important facts.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
I used cheap flat 1/2 plywood on the floor over polyiso, works fine for me. Flat and cheap required digging into the pile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For plywood, you want small and infrequent voids (air gaps in the plys) and the more plys the better. Regular construction-grade plywood, commonly made from softwood conifers like pine and fir, tends to fall short on both counts. Because hardwood plywood is mainly used for cabinetry (etc), it tends to have fewer/smaller voids and more plys, which makes it stiffer, stronger, and way nicer to work with. But cabinet-grade plywood can also be made from softwoods. I'm using Baltic birch plywood, a Russian/Finnish hardwood. It's cabinet grade, looks and behaves nice, and it's relatively inexpensive. It's actually cheaper and nicer than our locally-grown cabinet/marine-grade fir plywood.

All-electric fridges (Engel, etc) don't require exterior venting like propane fridges. I imagine a freestanding Engel just needs some room for air circulation around it's vents. Someone with an Engel can confirm that, or you can probably download the owner's manual. I find that's the best way to learn about stuff I am thinking about buying. Short on sales hype, long on important facts.
Yeah I was talking about just somewhere it can get fresh air, like a small grated vent on the interior of the vehicle. Ill try to dig up the manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts