Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did it, bought a "new" 2015 diesel 3500! Why, you ask? Well, for one reason, the price. Sticker on the unit was over $44,500, and after some negotiating, we got the unit for $30,000. It had 600 miles on it, but untitled so we get full warranty.

We couldn't talk our local dealer into acquiring it for us, so long story short, we took AMTRAK to Detroit where the salesman picked us up at the station. He had had the unit detailed, filled up with diesel and DEF, and everything checked out to ensure we had a nice journey home -- and we did!

Our trip home was about 480 miles, and included traffic jams in both Detroit and Chicago. We stopped at a Kroger's near our place that has diesel (at $2.04/gal) and filled up. Could only squeeze in just over 17 gallons. That's nearly 28mpg! Not bad, eh? Not only that, we had a $.20 discount coming, so we only paid $1.84/gal. I don't know when I'll see that again!

I had thought that since it was a 3500 the suspension would be really stiff, noisy and uncomfortable. The missus and I both were pleasantly surprised at how quiet and smooth it was, for a giant empty metal box on wheels. Speaking of the missus, I had tucked a little folding step into my backpack on the way up, and man-oh-man was she glad I did! 5' tall with dicey knees, not so easy for her to get in! Steps or running boards or something will be at the top of the makeover list!

Still getting used to the automatic manual (oxymoron?) transmission, but I like it. It's a big beast, but pretty easy to drive. Nice commanding view from that lofty perch!

So that's it for now. I've got a few other projects to finish before we start on our conversion, but when we do start, ya'll will be the first to know.

No pix, what's the point? Stock white high top 3500 with rear windows. Google it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, being new but "old" should save a few bucks on insurance too ! Hope it serves you well. An old saying when I sold cars was , When the salesman and boss were standing by the window smiling and waving as you drove off ... you got screwed !! Enjoy it .

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
You did not get screwed, but I am sure they were happy to see that NOS van go. I get 28 a lot but there are those here who get 23-24 and so I tone it down as I don’t want to be seen as a bragger. Oh I just did! The first few weeks the AMT will make you smile and that slow 1-2 shift will scare you pulling out once or twice then it all gets good. It does “learn” and will behave more in keeping with your style as time goes on. What you have is a real "Euro Van” almost unchanged from how it is made there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts