Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thank you to everyone on this form. It is an invaluable resource to anyone needing information on the Ram Promaster. And a big THANK YOU to the Mods for keeping everything on topic, you all are doing a great job.

Second, special Thanks, to:
GaryBIS ( Your web sites was one of the first I looked at when starting my research on the feasibility of converting a cargo van. I learned a ton on your site.)
Proeddie (When my first set of beds did not quite work out (too tall), I used your bed design as inspiration)
RD (Keeping it simple, yes. I copied a lot of your electrical plan including getting the Kreiger Inverter. Working great.)
MsNomer (Your advice on the forum is always spot on. I wish I had half the skill with wood as you.)

The Van. In over a year I have not been able to come up with a name for it that I like, so I just call it The Van.
2016 Ram Promaster 2500 159HT gasser, currently 56K miles. When I was working it was my everyday driver.

Bought the van in March 2019. Started the conversion in April. Worked on it on my days off and sometimes after work. Thought I could finish it by the end of July, nope not even close. But did have a usable van done in Sept and took our first trip in Oct. Spent a week in North Carolina. Except for the beds being too high, everything worked great. Long term goal was to take 3 months this year and drive through Canada then Alaska. Well you all know how that is working out. Maybe next year.

Here are some pics on the final result.

Interior from the back. Couches are 24 inches wide, pull out to 30 inches for sleeping or it can be made up to a queen size bed.
Ikea foam mattresses are covered in 12oz Denim. You can just see the top of the porta potty box behind the passenger seat.

Interior from the slider. Simple water system. Two 5 gallon containers. Submersible pump and electric faucet. No hot water. Cooking generally outside the van on a propane stove.

Overhead cabinet.

Ceiling and lighting

Overhead cabinets passenger side. With microwave.

Bug screens. Also have them on the slider. First bed design in picture. Worked well, but too high.

Roof rack using 80/20. This pic is before I installed the 2 solar panels.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
It will never be done. You will always come up with "just one more thing". I am in the process of replacing my rear view mirror with a camera system (I'll write it up when I am done with it).
But that's the fun of it.
Great looking conversion!

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
126 Posts
Average kitchen remodel 35k? Bath remodel 15K? You know where I am going with this. Ya did really well. Now, go out and have a fantastic time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I really like the bed direction. (and van in general)

What is your concern about the bed height? Didn't you gain some nice storage this way?

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
I'm also 99.5% done. I only need to install the finished flooring and tweak a few things.

Trimming these windows was one of the more challenging, time consuming jobs but they're all done now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

HarryN--The first set of bunks I built, ended up being 29 inches tall with the mattress. Too high for my wife's feet to touch the floor and it was a stretch for me and I am almost 6'4". So after our first trip, I built the current bunks, they are 24 inches with the mattress. Still slightly tall for my wife, but they work for her, almost perfect for me. Maybe lost a little storage under the bunks, but no too much.

Keeponvaning--Your build looks awesome. I especially like the ceiling treatment.

Larry

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Larry, Nice work, light and airy!

I think you'll get good use out of the Lagun table in that location.... I added a second base so we can put it between the two couches for a more formal dining booth.

If you ever need some more storage, I've seen some builds where they put a 6" high box in the aisle between the couch/beds. More space and standard 18" seating height. Yours, as is, look a lot more comfortable than the originals! Denim... good idea too.

You're hired... you can install a screen across the back of mine anytime!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where did you get the roof rack mounts for the 80/20 rails?
I made them using 1 1/2 x 3 inch aluminum tube that is 1/8" thick. They are based on this guys youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aa_WOGRPYA. Also Phil posted a couple of pictures of some on this page, https://www.promasterforum.com/threads/promaster-roof-rack-tabs.17145/page-4.

I made mine 5 inches long so I would have room for 2 bolts to clamp them to the roof pin. It also gave me space in the top so I could use two bolts to attach the 80 to to the roof mounts. There is also a thin piece of cork under the roof mounts just to keep them from potentially scratching the roof. With everything bolted up it has been very secure.

If you are interested in building your own fasteners. Orton has wonderful schematics of all types of fasteners on his web site. drawings | Orton Travel Transit

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

HarryN--The first set of bunks I built, ended up being 29 inches tall with the mattress. Too high for my wife's feet to touch the floor and it was a stretch for me and I am almost 6'4". So after our first trip, I built the current bunks, they are 24 inches with the mattress. Still slightly tall for my wife, but they work for her, almost perfect for me. Maybe lost a little storage under the bunks, but no too much.

Larry
I guess that I don't really understand why that matters. It is a bed by night and you can put your legs up on it as needed.

A step box or stool can deal with the feet.

What am I missing? I hope that doesn't seem like a dumb question. My plan was to have a much higher setup - as in 40 + inches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HarryN--After our first trip last year, we found we used the bunks as a couch quite a bit. We would sometimes eat there and we definitely used the as couches in the evening when the bugs drove us inside. The initial height was just not comfortable for us. In my build the overhead cabinets run all the way to the back doors. If the couches/beds were any taller you may not be able to set on them and your head not hit the overhead cabinet. One of my over arching goals was to have an open feeling in the build, so building anything taller then the kitchen cabinets did not fit that perimeter. I do that have bikes are anything especially large to store, do I did not need the "garage" that I see in a lot of builds. The great thing about doing it yourself, is you can build it to your wants and needs.

the_alpine--The window trim was a challenge. Hope the helps.

I cut the frame out of 1/2" plywood to match the open in the wall of the van and the interior cut out slightly larger then the window opening.
To that I glue 1/8" plywood down to the straight portions on the frame. Next the corners

I very carefully kerf cut pieces of plywood bent and glue in place. Lots of trial and error in getting it right.
It isn't in this picture, but after the glue dried, I glued small strips of wood in the open kerf cuts to reinforce.

Then glued the wall panel fabric to the frame. Interior corners are a problem.

The wall covering that we used is a subtle patterned vinyl
. It has some stretch but not enough for the inside corners. I ended up just cutting some additional fabric strips and gluing them to the inside corners. It looks ok.

·
Registered
99 Posts
wow! Nice work on the trim.

HarryN--After our first trip last year, we found we used the bunks as a couch quite a bit. We would sometimes eat there and we definitely used the as couches in the evening when the bugs drove us inside. The initial height was just not comfortable for us. In my build the overhead cabinets run all the way to the back doors. If the couches/beds were any taller you may not be able to set on them and your head not hit the overhead cabinet. One of my over arching goals was to have an open feeling in the build, so building anything taller then the kitchen cabinets did not fit that perimeter. I do that have bikes are anything especially large to store, do I did not need the "garage" that I see in a lot of builds. The great thing about doing it yourself, is you can build it to your wants and needs.

the_alpine--The window trim was a challenge. Hope the helps.

View attachment 63659
I cut the frame out of 1/2" plywood to match the open in the wall of the van and the interior cut out slightly larger then the window opening.
To that I glue 1/8" plywood down to the straight portions on the frame. Next the corners
View attachment 63660
I very carefully kerf cut pieces of plywood bent and glue in place. Lots of trial and error in getting it right.
It isn't in this picture, but after the glue dried, I glued small strips of wood in the open kerf cuts to reinforce.
View attachment 63661
Then glued the wall panel fabric to the frame. Interior corners are a problem.
View attachment 63662

The wall covering that we used is a subtle patterned vinyl View attachment 63664 . It has some stretch but not enough for the inside corners. I ended up just cutting some additional fabric strips and gluing them to the inside corners. It looks ok.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
Larry, it’s good to see people post threads like this that show off what can be done!
I think it’s safe to say we are all a bit tired of the "weekend warriors" lift kits and huge tires!🤪

1 - 20 of 22 Posts