735 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
That would have to be a forum first.
"Toilet with a seatbelt".
Classic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Think about it. How long you been married? Even of that could miraculously work, if you have to make an emergency stop, or jerk the wheel to avoid a crash to where she ends up with some 'contents' in her lap, or worse, in her face...You. Will. Pay. Only You. Yes You. Forever.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hey! I found the smilies!
I should start using them so everyone knows when I'm joking or being a wise guy, or an idiot.
Probably safe to assume the idiot part if unsure.
🤪

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So, I've been driving everyone nuts in other threads (saves space in mine) and talking about mattresses and a buncha other stuff.
No progress on the van to post.
I had a few ideas for a mattress and we were running errands and shopping today, so I checked what was available in a few stores. Kohl's had a choice of about 5 different mattress toppers. I grabbed the thickest, firmest one they had. Now, it's not thick enough to use on it's own, so I will eventually get something very firm to put under it. Possibly thick yoga mat or something. But, after my wife worked out her coupon magic, the topper was free! FWIW, I really did appreciate all the suggestions and links I was given. I was investigating all of it. But, for free, I had to go this route.
KIMG0624.JPG
KIMG0623.JPG

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I purchased a load tester ($20) and a 4amp charger/maintainer ($35).
These are the batteries I got (free).
They are a few yrs old, but hold a charge and tested good. Hoping to get a season out of them.
KIMG0616.JPG
KIMG0615.JPG
KIMG0613.JPG
KIMG0614.JPG

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I have a question about the floor.
I decided to nix 1/2" polyiso with expanding foam rib filler technology.
Not so much that it was a horrible idea or didn't work, but it was still a little soft in spots. Mostly, because I want a layer of ply down for some structure to fasten to. I could leave the polyiso down, lay 1/2" ply over it and then the factory mat on top, or, I could lay the ply, then the iso, then the mat.
How are you guys fastening the ply?
Especially when you lay it over polyiso?
And don't say with 3" drywall screws.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I use the 6 cargo ring bolts to hold it down, reason? easy to remove for mods.
My floor sandwich,
  • flooring
  • ply
  • poly
  • metal floor

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks Phil. That seems standard procedure.
Were the bolts for the D rings long enough? Did you countersink them?
Replace with a different bolt?
And one more: being that the ply is only fastened on the edge, no bowing in the center?

·
Registered
382 Posts
... used two or three of the Drings (with longer bolts) (rest of the tie-downs were in unsuitable locations). Added 20 SS panhead robertson #8's from underneath in strategic placement. Dang solid result.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I picked up some pan head bolts, 50mm long(IIRC), used a spade bit to lower the heads a bit.
Just snugged them down, no reason to tighten them.
My floor is covered with 1/2" EVA foam tiles, looks flat.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a question about the floor.
I decided to nix 1/2" polyiso with expanding foam rib filler technology.
Not so much that it was a horrible idea or didn't work, but it was still a little soft in spots. Mostly, because I want a layer of ply down for some structure to fasten to. I could leave the polyiso down, lay 1/2" ply over it and then the factory mat on top, or, I could lay the ply, then the iso, then the mat.
How are you guys fastening the ply?
Especially when you lay it over polyiso?
And don't say with 3" drywall screws.
I used 1” high load xps board topped with 3/4” BB plywood that I finished like a hardwood floor, then bolted right thru the 3/4” to the underside of the metal van floor (8mm hex allen key black countersunk heads into the plywood finished floor & a big fender washer & lock nut @ the underside of the van - sprayed the holes under the van with zinc rich rust resistant paint

2 sheets of BB plywood covers the van floor 5x10 & 4x8 (and with my floor plan there are no joints visible from the living space)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So, I narrowed down the design a bit more. I decided that I don't really need to remove any of the build to keep the ability to load 4x8 sheet goods. It should be light enough and the batteries, electrical, shower/bathroom would all stay anyway, so it's silly to torture myself over a design that allows me to remove very little weight. I will be able to remove the mattress and center section of the bed frame in case I want to transport something tall. But, everything else will stay.
One Idea I'm playing with is having a shower wand that can be used over the sink, then fed through a small opening and used as a shower head. I'm not worried about hot/cold, just on/off, since the faucet will only be for rinsing hands, coffee cups, showering, etc.
I found a 4"x50"x21" gray tank that I hope will fit nicely under the van, between the supports.
A friend has a 12x12x20 fresh tank that he's giving me from his old overland truck build. That will go under the sink, in the van. Still contemplating a water heater and whether in or out of the van.
Fridge, microwave, batteries and inverter will be in the cabinet behind the slider.
I have some "unique" ideas for ventilation, but I'm not going to post about it until I try a few things and see if it works.
Even if it does, I won't recommend doing it. I'm a super skilled super genius and I can't be held liable for any attempts at the things I do. This is for entertainment purposes only.
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture4.jpg

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Maybe consider putting a small bench in half of the passenger slider door? Or a small cab/counter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
As for permanent structure, I wanted to leave the entire slider opening unobstructed. But I was playing around with the idea of maybe a seat that folds down from the side of the cabinet. Maybe a little fold-out countertop. Those are neat.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
RnR, I totally agree with you on that slider space. If I had an appropriate cabinet to the rear of it, I would have a fold-out “stool” about 20-24“ tall because sometimes I like to sit on something that high, but no way would I make it permanent. Sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The extra 2' of the 159 makes a big difference and opens a few options.
The 12' floor means a can have the shower/bathroom permanent and leave myself an 8' section open in the back.
What I don't understand is, no matter what builds I look at, low, high, 159, 136,....everyone's van looks bigger than mine!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
@RnR

Ours is an EXT 160” back doors to cab metal step up ledge. I took a tape measure to it just now & made a very quick drawing detailing inches (obviously not to scale). Eg our kitchen cabinet is 53” by 21.5”. The open area of our fully opened slider as the cabinet encroaches about 15.5” into the opening leaves 36” wide clear opening from the 51.5”

we ofter sit on the floor 36” at opened slider with our feet on the outside ground (The levels work perfect)

If this info helps you with size planning great - otherwise disregard 🤪

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thanks RV.
The computer model of the van was a model that someone made (and I'm grateful because that had to be a lot of work) and I downloaded it, then added the innards. I don't think it's accurate to the inch, but close enough to do a mock-up and get a general feel. So, I'm not sure exactly how wide the passenger side cabinet will be. It will end up being whatever the distance is between the bed and slider opening.
I definitely don't want to build anything in front of the slider because if you look at the top view, the shower sticks out and it would be a tight squeeze. Plus I'd like to just have room to load anything into the side door and not bang up a cabinet.
There will be some storage in that cabinet, but mostly we would store everything for a trip in totes/suitcases in the garage.
No bikes, hang gliders, rock climbing gear, etc. We're more the fair weather tourist type. Just a camera and a sexy fanny pack.

81 - 100 of 189 Posts