Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Let me remind you that you are married to your wife, not anyone here. We don't get a vote.

Isotherm water heaters are only 115v (or 220!), but you may never need it. As long as you plan to drive 45-60 minutes to heat the water, the engine will do all the work (depending on ambient temp of course). They are intimidating but actually easy to install.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
So, here's the deal,
I was already planning on having a bathroom. That is an absolute must. My wife has a small blatter and has to pee often. Now, she's a trooper and doesn't complain, but I don't want her to sit there in discomfort for hours and worry about inconveniencing me with frequent stops. And my point to all this is not to be miserable and uncomfortable and/or have half our site seeing be about finding bathrooms. It wasn't horrible last time we were on a trip, but it was only 4 days and we flew out. It was worth the expense because the wife has never been out west or seen the GC. If she hated it out there and hated being in the vehicle for days and packing in hundreds of miles a day to see sights, I wouldn't have a van right now. But she loved it and now I have a van and a lot of traveling planned.
Problem is, we have a really long drive between us and all the stuff we want to see. No more flying out and getting a rental for a few days. That was an expensive, one-time test run.
It might take us 2-3 days to drive to the GC again. Now, if we are going to be in one area for a few days, we might get a room. But I don't want to stop and get a room on the way.
Also, I know she won't be comfortable using the bathroom out in the open even if it's just her and I.
And honestly, I don't think anyone else wants me to use it out in the open. So, no plumbing, just a simple toilet, but I was going to build a little stall with a door anyway. Then I got to thinking, there's already a permanent stall, why not add a shower too? Like mentioned, we may not use it often enough to reasonably say the expense and work is worth it.
But, what if we are traveling to see 3 different sites in a day and 2 of them we get out and do some mild hiking and get all dirty and sweaty? I know she would want to get cleaned up before bed and wouldn't it also be a waste to rent a room for $100-200 jus to be able to take a shower? And possibly drive out of our way to get there?
So, I'm back to not sure what to do.
It's one of those things that's a lot of expense and work and doesn't seem worth it on it's face, but one of those things that you really wish you had on those occasions when it would really make your life easier.
Maybe I shouldn't do any permanent fixtures yet. Maybe we should do a shorter trip and rough it, then come back with a list of wants and needs.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
The choice might be clearer if you did a basic van with a porta-pottee then planned a trip camping at campgrounds. Many Federally run campsites are adding showers and nearly all have flush toilets. State campgrounds almost always have both as well. Private ones have everything. While this is not free camping it is much less than a stinky motel room. If that works you might try a few nights of boondocking but use the flush toilets at visitor centers, stores and even filling stations for that one serious bathroom need. Cleaning up? My wife used to joke about a "wash up" called a PTA bath. The A stands for armpits. In a real remote boon dock there are baby wipes. We manage some combination of these but get to a shower a lot. It has worked fine. Our last camper had an outside shower and hot water and she never used it. She has come to the understanding a fewer less showers means getting to more interesting places.
Many women and men have never gone outside. Each year I lead a camping trip across the Sonoran Desert, 3 or 4 days, 4X4 and I ask ask the potty question. We also carry a shovel and one of these for the neophytes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
RnR
Can you go over to my build thread or send me a message and post the specs for the inverter or a link to the model?
Also, why you didn't use it.
Thanks.

Victron Inverter Charger 12/3000/120 12v / 3000 cont inverter / 120 amp charger

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva

So I did not install it as I finally went another direction & do not need an inverter; I went converter. I purchased for about $500 a Converter/Charger/AC Panel/DC Panel all in one. IMO for AGMs the Victron is overkill.

I have AGM 250ahr battery bank

Converter/Charger/AC Panel/DC Panel

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Right now, the only electrical components I have are (4) 12v deep cycle FLA batteries that came out of commercial floor scrubbers. 2 of them are only a few yrs old and seem like they are good enough to use for now. But I haven't started the electric yet and may end up just buying new batteries. I was just trying to save a few $ and grabbed them because they were available.
I would like to go lithium, but not sure if I need them for the way I will use the van. I won't have heavy demand. Basically looking at a 12v fridge, a small microwave and small, one cup at a time mini Keurig.
The inverter would basically be for the microwave and tool battery charger. I'm talking 2 week road trips. Not long term camping or anything like that. It will be a travel vehicle and equipped in a way that will enable a 4-6 hr rest stop nap, heat up a sandwich or coffee, keep some snacks and drinks cold for traveling, a bathroom to avoid stopping every hour and possibly a shower for the times that we want to get cleaned up before moving to the next state but don't wanna spend the time or $ for a room just to take a shower.
It's not going to be a camper that we spend days at a time in one spot, living out of. If we go to an area where we will stay in spot for 2-3 days in order to see everything in the area, we will probably get a room. But I think we will mostly be on the move.
So, I probably won't need the most sophisticated electrical system. Just quality components for a reasonable price.
And I'm assuming we will do one big trip every year and maybe a few smaller, closer to home trips that we can do in a long weekend.
Other than a few trips, I will be driving the van to work every day and still want to be able to throw a load of 2x4s and a few sheet goods in the back. So, I can't have the bathroom in the back. Which is what I really would like to do. But I need the bed raised and removable and I need to keep a 4'x8' floor space available.
If this van lasts until retirement, the next one will be a completely different build and not a daily driver. It will be a full blown, self sufficient camper.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
You keep mentioning having a toilet so you don’t have to stop. You’re not thinking of using the toilet while driving, are you? A fellow forum member has decided, from experience, that being up and about on the road is not a good idea.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I have to research it.
I don't want to just go with a #2 bucket of I need one with a #3 rating.

·
Registered
382 Posts
... huh? there is a #3?? what have i been missing ??

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I don't see what the big deal is if I install a bathroom stall and toilet behind the driver's seat.
I can always install a seatbelt on the toilet for when my wife has to make a pee run while I'm driving.
Yes? No?

61 - 80 of 189 Posts