Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I also found the secret 2nd glove box on top of the pass side dash the other day. Had no idea it was there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Unfortunately, no.
But those are 2 options I would really like to have.
I only have the super secret ninja security package, which I'm sure the dealer was unaware of since it wasn't listed in the price.
But it does not have the refrig feature.
.......although,.......I haven't had the AC on yet,............

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Ok, so no real progress to speak of at this point other than the headliner finally came in and I helped highjack Rob's plywood thread with insulation talk for a couple days.
I bought a $30 box of poly fill from the fabric store to use as lose fill insulation in cavities/ribs. It's just polyester pillow and stuffed animal fill. It was compressed so the 5 lbs is more than enough. Fiberglass and Rockwool is out and I didn't wanna spend the money on thinsulate for that purpose. I used a flexible hard plastic tube to push it into all the hard to reach areas. I'm going cover the entire upper half of the finished walls with headliner and completely cover all the exposed metal of the interior side of the doors and the rear pillars. But I will cut out where there are panels so I can always remove the panels and remove/replace the poly fill to get to wires, mechanisms, tail lights, etc. Or, if the poly fill ends up being crap and I want it out. For $30 and enough to do 2 vans, I figured it's worth trying.
I'm going to glue either poly batting or thinsulate to the walls and then cover the walls floor to ceiling with whole pieces of polyisocyanurate with the reflective side out. Then cover that with Luan, then the headliner. I'm thinking 1" polyiso between the ceiling ribs, then 1/2" over all of it, including the ribs, then Luan, then paint white. I decided against the white corrugated plastic as there's no practical way to fasten it if I cover the ribs with polyiso.
Going to blackout, insulate and cover the rear windows (only windows I have in the back) and run a similar full-time rear camera with separate display, like RV8R posted in the gadget thread.
A pic of the headliner and trying out the poly fill.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Also, looked at the blue (Smurf tube) flexible conduit and it was $50 for a 100' roll. I don't need 100' and didn't like the small inner diameter.
I want to run a few wires that I know I need and some conduit with pull string before I insulate. So I grabbed a 25' roll of 1-1/4" sump discharge hose. It's thin walled, very flexible and has a lot of inner diameter so I can pull more than 1 or 2 things through it. And it was $13.
Hopefully it's useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So, was talking to the wife and told her to think about our last short trip out west and then picture being in the van like that for about 2 weeks at a time. I told her think about it for a while,....I mean,.....really take her time and think about it and tell me if it would be worth it to build a shower in the van, or just a nice big sink to get cleaned up in.
She immediately said she would like a shower.
That's gonna add a lotta cost and complexity to the build.
Must be nice.
Why can't I just say I want a shower in the van and some slob just makes it happen for me?
Anyway, I did a quick search on the isotemp marine water heaters and everything that came up was 115v.
Are there 12v units, or does it need an inverter?
I thought they were 12v marine/automotive units that used engine coolant(?)

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Bad move! I like a hot shower every day as much as anyone but it simply isn’t realistic for your usage (or most others, including me). What you have to give up to have a shower vs what you gain just Isn’t worth. Ask anyone if they want/need a shower and, of course, they will say "Yes I couldn’t live without one". In reality your better off staying at a campground and using their shower or joking a gym that has locations all over the country (like Planet Fitness) and using their showers. Most people with showers don’t even use them after a while as they realize there are much better ways and methods to stay clean. Of course many people will consider this heresy but they just don’t have the real world experience.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I kinda feel the same way.
I know it will be nice to have, but I feel like the amount we would actually use it, wouldn't be worth the expense, build complexity and lost space. It would have to be behind the driver seat and be a permanent fixture with a water heater and grey tank under the van.
I'm just getting itchy for a final design so I can start insulating and wiring.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I haven't hunted in a while, but my buddy's cabin had no utilities.
His brother made a wooden shower structure about the size of an out house. We would heat a big soup pot full of water on the propane turkey deep fryer base, dunk a 12v pump hooked to a car battery and shower hose with a switch.
There's your shower.
Crap, but now we're back to propane and I don't want propane either!

41 - 60 of 189 Posts