Ram Promaster Forum banner

521 - 540 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Never mind. I see it at the top.
Says exhaust only.
My eyes went to the part that said the keypad controlled intake and exhaust functions

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Model 6401K is the low end of the "deluxe" line.
4 spd, exhaust only, manual open/close.
$145
Model 6200K is the next level up and adds 10 spd, reversible fan and thermostat.
Looking at almost another $100 just to have the reversible fan. Which is the only feature I might use.
The thermostat is kinda silly because has one setting of 78*.
Just have to think about whether or not I would really use the intake feature and if the amount I would actually use it is worth another $100.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The base model with a switch to adjust polarity is starting to sound quite a bit more cost effective. Or (less pretty, less rewiring) a separate fan mounted over(under) it for intake

·
Registered
327 Posts
On my fancy pants model, when you push the change direction button it ramps the blades down to a stop and then ramps them back up in the other direction. That makes me think that there might be some more intelligence in the motor. If that is the case on the more basic models, then a simple DPDT switch reversing switch may not work.

Just a heads up based on my observations.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #526 (Edited)
On my fancy pants model, when you push the change direction button it ramps the blades down to a stop and then ramps them back up in the other direction. That makes me think that there might be some more intelligence in the motor. If that is the case on the more basic models, then a simple DPDT switch reversing switch may not work.

Just a heads up based on my observations.
How often do you find the intake mode useful?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The ramp down and back up is for the protection of the motor. Similar to how you don't try to immediately shift from forward to reverse in your vehicle. Things break when you rapidly change their rotation

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
My Fantastic Vent warns about reversing while spinning and that it may blow the fuze although the couple of times I have done so by mistake it didn’t seem to do any harm.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
We don’t use it nearly as much as the outlet. Out when we are in bed to pull outside air over us from our awning window, out when cooking, out when sitting at the dinette eating on hot days, but in when we are sitting at the dinette and at the swivels in front waiting for the evening to cool. I thought all fans blew both ways.

·
Registered
221 Posts
All fans are capable of blowing both ways. apparently for the convenience of it, the option of can be a large upcharge. This is possibly due to the safeguard of not letting people reverse the spin while in motion. Sometimes the fins are only really designed to move air one direction, but they'll do a little bit the other way

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
I'm looking at the same model KOV just installed.
The 6401k has a 4 speed motor and exhaust only.
I found one for $145 free shipping.
The 6200k (I think KOV has) has a 10 speed motor with reverse.
All the 6200s I'm seeing are between $190-230+ tax and/or shipping.
I honestly will only use it to leave open when leaving the van sit, possibly run it when sleeping and possibly while showering.
I'm thinking I won't ever need it to blow air into the van, unless someone says it's life changing and worth every penny of the extra money.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
I have to pick my battles for the next 3 weeks.
I could probably get the cheaper one and pull it apart and wire a switch to enable reversing the polarity (granted there's not circuitry that won't allow that), but I'd spend valuable time futzing with it. So, if it is truly a must-have option, I'd bite the bullet and get the one that had the extra bells & whistles and get'r done.
I'll probably order this thing tonight so it's here by the weekend.
No pressure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I feel zero pressure. Personally, I'm going to skip the whole thing. I don't have a better answer for you. Sorry fella, ask the wife? I always feel it's helpful to be able to blame, um-hem, congratulate someone else for their decisions

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
That's what I was looking to do here.
Get someone else to help make a decision for me so it's not my fault if I'm unhappy with it.
Trying to maintain my perfect record of never being wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Darn
Question: do you change your ceiling fan directions for summer/winter? If not, I wouldn't expect to alternate the flow much. If the fan works closed, it'll push the air down after it bounces off the lid

521 - 540 of 556 Posts