Ram Promaster Forum banner

501 - 520 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
I'll mess with it more tomorrow.
The stock dome lights with the incandescent bulbs go completely off. Maybe the LEDs made it act strange.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What KOV said. I saw a really cool write up on how to extend the circuit or replace with a dpdt switch, but it wasn't exactly intuitive (not a straight swap out) and I can't find it again. You could theoretically intercept the door ajar signal yourself for that feature, but it's originally run through the canbus

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
We're headed to AZ in 3 weeks. Hoping to have the van done enough to enjoy a road trip, if not completely done. If I can't get to work the way it works with the factory lights, I'll just wire it as a simple on/off setup. Don't wanna spend too much time on it.
I'll extend the dome light wires and light wires down to an accessible spot so I can still get to them after everything is buried.
Gotta get the insulation in, bathroom built, bed built, hot water installed and house batteries set up.
Should take me 10 min.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yes, your experience is the way it works on mine too. I have the SPDT switch on the grounding wire(2) and it works well but there is a very, very dim light still visible on the LEDs. Mine are single amber LEDs used mostly for getting in and out so I don't care. The light is so dim, I can only detect it when the lights are off at night. And even then, hardly noticeable.

If I recall, even in the grounded position (for always on) there is a timeout that turns the 12V+ off after a while... have to check that again.

Suggestion: put a single low current incandescent light in parallel with the LEDs, and tuck it away somewhere... or you might try one of those resistors they sell to make some LEDS canbus compatible. Either should pull the voltage down and keep the LEDs off. I didn't try it because mine are so dim.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
We're getting outside my pay grade now.
But I will make a note of this stuff and revisit this mini sub-project during future down time.
I do want to replace the dome light circuit in the cargo area with a single long LED strip and I want it to work exactly as the dome lights work. So I will definitely come back to this one.
And Ed, I believe you are right on the always on 12v. I wasn't getting anything until I opened a door. Then the 12v+ side stayed hot. Just the green/white neg wire died after 10 sec or so. I think the black neg wire gets cut too after a longer period. Probably to protect the battery if you leave in the on position.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Should only take 10 minutes. Less maybe, plus shipping time. Definitely a future project. China might ship faster than Amazon nowadays. Really you just connect wires to it. On at 12v, off at less. It's the same tech as a battery isolator, but much lower amp rating because LEDs are not massive battery banks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #509

·
Registered
327 Posts
Someone tell me this is a great price . . . .
Looks cheaper than the same thing on Amazon:

Keep in mind that some have manual opening vents & 4 speeds, and some are automatic opening, 10 speed, have a remote, thermostat etc.

The deluxe with thermostat, remote etc looks to be about 2x as much:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Yeah, don't need remote, thermostat, 10 speed, etc.
4 spd should be more than adequate and I'd rather have a simple opening mechanism than electric motors.
It says this model has a reversible fan. Which is the only extra feature I would find useful.
I don't know what these things usually go for. If that's a good price I'll jump on it.
I thought I saw the basic fans like this one going for over $200 a few months ago. But I can't remember.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I feel like the speeds, reversing, and thermostat could all be added after the fact, but then again some people like to buy things with features already integrated

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's a model with a faulty switch for like 100+shipping. I know you're interested in adding your own switching to stuff. No more than 10 minutes.

Otherwise, I think you're actually on a decent deal. I just told you what you asked before I looked at anything though

Edit: didn't actually add the link MaxxFan 4-Speed Vent Fan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Description on your link says exhaust only, so not reversible. Also chart from Maxxair shows Exhaust only.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
That's the base base model.
The next level up is the deluxe line with the fancy lifting cover and rear vent that's s'posed to keep rain out.
The one I'm looking at is the low end of the deluxe line.
I'm not quite ready for upper middle class yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

·
Registered
221 Posts
It also says the switch is terrible and fails frequently, so a switch that doesn't fail and provides reversing (swapping polarity is all that takes in a DC motor) would be my suggestion. However, once you change the lid color and the switch, you won't be saving a ton

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Description on your link says exhaust only, so not reversible. Also chart from Maxxair shows Exhaust only.
I just looked. Maybe they have it listed wrong. I'll do more research before buying, but this is a screenshot of the product info from that link
Screenshot_20200511-163036.png

501 - 520 of 556 Posts