Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not suggesting or recommending, just bouncing ideas around.
One way to eliminate a valve in my wacky series idea is (2) 3-way valves.
A quick search brought up a stainless 3-way rated for 400*F.
The one on the left would be parallel, right would be either series, or normal operation with lines to water heater shut off, depending on position of valves.
KIMG0658.JPG
KIMG0659.JPG
41GOLtZWMvL._AC_SY400_.jpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
While it is always fun to think out side the box, we need to be careful not to suggest anything that could go badly. I don't see any reason to install a set of valves that could be configured to cut off the normal flow of coolant. Making things more complicated just because we can is not always a good idea. (I'm as guilty as most - have you seen my wiring?)

Practically speaking, putting two Ts on a single hose under the hood does get a bit crowded. One T per hose was easy to install and works well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Won't it just take the path of least resistance? In other words, won't most of the flow or all of the flow just go through the heater core without making it back to the isotemp tank? At that point, I think maybe just a venturi effect even, creating some flow to the water heater? I plan to hook up in series, so that the pressure is the same in the system as a whole, cab heater should be first in my mind, since there should be more than enough heat at 190plus degrees. Thoughts?
I don't think it has anything to do with pressure. Typically the water pumps in automotive engines are displacement pumps.

The size and length of the hoses to the isotemp and it's heat exchanger are going to determine the flow through the isotemp.

I think the temperature of the coolant that each unit receives is more important. If you connect the units in series the second unit is going to get a lower temperature and get less BTUs. If you connect them in parallel each unit will get the same temperature coolant.

·
Registered
84 Posts
3 months with the isotemp and we absolutely LOVE it! No leaks, lots of hot water, lasts days! We had to turn down the mixing valve on the heater all the way so as not to burn ourselves at the tap! It is hard to run out of hot water when you are using so little from the heater! I highly recommend it!

81 - 87 of 87 Posts