Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's a gasket (black, rubber, even marked with an "X") under the driver side rear bumper.

Just run a short 14Gauge extension cord through this (or really just a pigtail with only the male end hanging out a few inches) and pull it up into the interior via the rear driver side pillar.

Shore power!

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
283 Posts
Thanks Vanguy, if plan A fails your idea is plan B! I have this plug on the way
Camera lens Camera accessory Output device Camera Gadget

I will see if I can trim it to fit the reflector recess and attach the reflector to the cap.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
189 Posts
Of all the Promaster hacks and tips and standard procedures, I'm shocked that simply using the built in rubber access hasket/hoile hasn't become the standard way for conversions to access shore power.

No drilling, no new hole, no visible entry, only requires a short extension cord or short section of 3 THHN 12GA wires, and is situated to the rear of the vehicle so if you forget and drive away, it unplugs itself.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,830 Posts
There's a gasket (black, rubber, even marked with an "X") under the driver side rear bumper.

Just run a short 14Gauge extension cord through this (or really just a pigtail with only the male end hanging out a few inches) and pull it up into the interior via the rear driver side pillar.

Shore power!
Passenger side as well. My factory hitch wiring goes thru the driver’s side rubber gasket;

Light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Passenger Side Gasket;

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fixture

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree that an extension cord would definitely be the easiest, if the reflector access doesn't work that is the way I will go. I used the access point on the left side for my fresh water overflow.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
159" 2500 HR Window Van
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Of all the Promaster hacks and tips and standard procedures, I'm shocked that simply using the built in rubber access hasket/hoile hasn't become the standard way for conversions to access shore power.

No drilling, no new hole, no visible entry, only requires a short extension cord or short section of 3 THHN 12GA wires, and is situated to the rear of the vehicle so if you forget and drive away, it unplugs itself.
The more I look the more I find pre-existing holes in the ProMaster. I removed the outside trim below the drivers B pillar and found a 2x2 inch square hole that has been covered with a rubberized membrane - sort of butyl rubber and duct tape combo.... Anyway it easily fits my Wellluck shore plug without any drilling required..:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
The more I look the more I find pre-existing holes in the ProMaster. I removed the outside trim below the drivers B pillar and found a 2x2 inch square hole that has been covered with a rubberized membrane - sort of butyl rubber and duct tape combo.... Anyway it easily fits my Wellluck shore plug without any drilling required..:)
Can you provide us with a photo?

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,830 Posts
Best we don’t use the PM platform for DIY Submarines 😜

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. https://www.promasterforum.com/forums/promasterforum-com-introduction-section.122/ Please be aware until you do make the required introductory
I put both the shore power plug and the Cable TV plug under the rear bumper. When either is connected and laying on the ground it's hard to tell they're attached. And your shore power plug is smaller than mine (30 amp). So it would be stealthier.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,257 Posts
@mh7744 please make an introductory post before post on the forum again.

All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted

·
Registered
252 Posts
Came close to doing it but ended up installing the socket in the black cladding below the gas door. Made an ABS plastic spacer with VHB tape on both sides to fill in the space under the cladding which makes it stable. With 700 watts of solar, I only use this when camping in the winter if there are a lot of tall trees.
Hood Grille Automotive tire Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
45 Posts

Can you show a picture of this port?

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,830 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture?
FWIW, here ya go;

Camera accessory Fluid Cylinder Gas Cameras & optics

Hood Gas Gadget Font Automotive exterior

Post #189 here;

This is what I have done in my 2018 & 2021 van builds.

This is more complex than the suggestions above & also thru the driver’s side wall. I thought you were leaning towards a simpler & less expensive product?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,106 Posts
on a budget?
I got one of these IIRC $2, run the cord down the d-pillar and out the trailer wiring grommet.
Gadget Font Electronic device Cable Audio equipment

·
Registered
809 Posts
Whatever as-built comes make sure its strong enough & designed as straight line pull apart so when van is driven away still connected it's not pulling out house wiring when the cord gets snagged a mile or so down the road...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts