Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
159" 2500 HR Window Van
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a discrete shore power access port (15A) behind the drivers seat. I was looking to mount low on the wall but the outside trim would make it difficult to get a waterproof seal on the metal skin. Then I thought what about in the fuel flap....turns out there is space there for a second filling point (maybe some upfitters add a diesel heater fill point or something?) but this is open and easier access.

Is this genius or folly???? The power cord will never be inserted when engine is running but I don't know if its ever possible or likely to get a spark from connecting a cable..
Automotive tire Rim Electric fan Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,100 Posts
I saw a Transit use the trim piece as a flap, they put a hinge on it, and hide the plug in there
Bumper Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gadget Cable

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
377 Posts
I agree with the consensus that it's not worth the risk. Take a look underneath the engine bay - most of the PM's front end is just plastic. You could install a plug there, although it will be exposed to the wind, so those rubber flaps may wear out prematurely. There is a hole in the firewall on the driver side where you can likely thread 14/3 or possibly 12/3 stranded wire into the van. The driver side step is easily removed to reveal ample space to route that wire behind or under the driver's seat. Also the trim at the bottom of the driver side B pillar covers space to install an outlet and/or AC breaker.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,100 Posts
It becomes a question of what is the recommended separation between the two items.

What if the wire connections on the plug overheat?

How does one respond if the insurance company ask why is there an outlet there :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Obvious safety reasons aside, the fuel door cover on the Promaster is a cheap piece of crap! :ROFLMAO: If you blow on the thing too hard it's likely to break, and I reckon that leaving it open would quickly lead to its demise.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
377 Posts
I am also looking for a discrete entry point for my noco charge port
Have seen many threads on here, so recommend trying a few search combinations. The issue with the attached cable/plug will be threading it into the van - if you cut that into the van wall, OTOH, no problem. The popular one seems to be the driver side rear corner, just above the reflector, threaded through the baffle. (I followed the instructions in a thread on here and it was easy).

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
281 Posts
Have seen many threads on here, so recommend trying a few search combinations. The issue with the attached cable/plug will be threading it into the van - if you cut that into the van wall, OTOH, no problem. The popular one seems to be the driver side rear corner, just above the reflector, threaded through the baffle. (I followed the instructions in a thread on here and it was easy).
If I had the foresight I would have ran 12/3 to the back of the van and tied it into proeddie's shore power switch that I plan to install but the drivers side and cab are completed so I missed that boat.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,822 Posts
I am wanting a discrete shore power access port (15A) behind the drivers seat. I was looking to mount low on the wall but the outside trim would make it difficult to get a waterproof seal on the metal skin. Then I thought what about in the fuel flap....turns out there is space there for a second filling point (maybe some upfitters add a diesel heater fill point or something?) but this is open and easier access.

Is this genius or folly???? The power cord will never be inserted when engine is running but I don't know if its ever possible or likely to get a spark from connecting a cable..
View attachment 86785
YES !!

It is a crazy idea 🤪

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
605 Posts
I put my shore connection through the floor roughly halfway between the driver side wheel well and the rear pillar. I centered it in the cavity underneath. Totally stealth. I do have to get on my knees, reach under to open the flap and plug in the cord.

It is nice in that the extension cord snakes under the van and "disappears". Nothing to trip over or yank out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I put my shore connection through the floor roughly halfway between the driver side wheel well and the rear pillar. I centered it in the cavity underneath. Totally stealth. I do have to get on my knees, reach under to open the flap and plug in the cord.

It is nice in that the extension cord snakes under the van and "disappears". Nothing to trip over or yank out.
Nice job Larry, do you have a photo?

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
605 Posts
I didn't, last night, but I do, this morning! NB I think I drilled the pilot hole from the bottom to properly locate a flat spot for the shore connector. I goofed in that I drilled out the mounting hole from the top and should have drilled out a LARGER hole for the rubber cover BEFORE drilling out the smaller hole in the metal (all with various size hole saws)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Fixture

Photograph Automotive tire Plant Tree Grey

NB this van has about 30k miles and lives in the Pacific NW, so plenty of rain. Those deep wells under the van stay remarkably clean.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't, last night, but I do, this morning! NB I think I drilled the pilot hole from the bottom to properly locate a flat spot for the shore connector. I goofed in that I drilled out the mounting hole from the top and should have drilled out a LARGER hole for the rubber cover BEFORE drilling out the smaller hole in the metal (all with various size hole saws)

View attachment 86814

View attachment 86815
NB this van has about 30k miles and lives in the Pacific NW, so plenty of rain. Those deep wells under the van stay remarkably clean.
Unfortunately that location is reserved for a 2nd battery if needed, it looks like I am back to locating the plug behind the reflector on the right bumper end. The left side is out as that is where I located my water tank drain.
Grey Line Wall Automotive tire Paint

1 - 20 of 50 Posts