Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent RV show we attended last week, we came across a booth selling these...

It's a booster step that hooks into the door latch to get you closer to the rooftop...

I'm too short (and too old) to be climbing up there without my telescoping ladder, but might be useful for some of our sports-minded members.

It's called a Moki Doorstep.... Kickstarter project, selling on the web soon! They were $40 at the RV show.

Just sharing

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That looks to be a cool little tool. I wonder if it would scratch the paint?

Not sure on the picture with the swimwear stuck up her #%$. Must they use this visual to sell?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Oh, they're trying to sell the little foot thingie! I completely missed seeing that.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice piece of equipment... lousy pictures available to illustrate!

The finished version I saw at the show had a rubberized coating on it, and they give you a magnetic "label" to put at the contact point with the frame paint to protect it.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I backed the kickstarter when it was active a month or so ago. It still hasn't shipped but if anyone wants a review when it arrives, I'll post some photos.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Slight eye-roll for the bathing suit lady. But that's par for the course for selling on the Internet I guess.

This does seem like an interesting idea. And perhaps car manufacturers can put something like this as standard equipment in their vehicles. Like a flip-down mini step right in the door jamb(s).

I suspect the idea won't get past the corporate lawyers though. Too many people would fall and then sue.

I find that for some cars (e.g. my Caravan), standing on the rear tire is a work-around for that area. The front area needs a step ladder though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago I saw a version of this type of thing that was a grab handle instead of a step, to assist getting in and out of a vehicle. If I remember correctly, they were marketing it to people with physical limitations.

Overall these seem like a handy unit, just don't forget to remove it before you try to close the door. :eek:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Perhaps someone could calculate (RD) the force on the jam with a 250 Lbs person hopping up on it? I see an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Perhaps someone could calculate (RD) the force on the jam with a 250 Lbs person hopping up on it? I see an accident waiting to happen.
Doubt it's a safety risk. There's basically no moment arm on this thing, and I'd imagine door latches have to be engineered to withstand significant forces so they have a fighting chance of not popping off in an accident.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes the outward force on the latch is your weight and the downward force is nill as friction with the wall absorbs much of that. I believe the latch is engineered to withstand higher forces. I’d buy one if it got me up to do something I needed and the price was $12-15$, neither is likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts