Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Buy a 2 foot pipe that fits over the bar that comes with the lug nut wrench to give you the leverage to loosen the lug bolts. You will need it if you ever have to change a tire. Do not agree with putting grease on the lug bolts.

Also, I run my tires at 55 (which is okay for my tires and weight of under 3700 per axle), some think that is a little low but it is a smoother ride. The high pressure spec on the door is for the max load rating which you should not get close to. The dealer can change the TPMS to 55, they did on mine and others.

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I noticed that they had not vacuumed up the metal shavings from where they had drilled the screw holes for the D-rings, so several of those areas had rust - hopefully it's just surface rust and not in the floor itself. Today I took up the wood composite floor and tomorrow I will vacuum up all metal shavings and clean up any rust and touch up any bare metal with paint to prevent more rust.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Hi,
I agree with the suggestion to buy a 2 ft length of pipe to increase the torque you can apply to the lug nuts, but better yet, buy a 2 ft breaker bar and a 6 point air wrench socket to loosen lug nuts with the breaker bar.
The included lug wrench is not only too short, but its not very strong -- I torqued my lug wrench in half while removing lug nuts. Luckily this was at home rather than a hundred miles from nowhere.

Check the operation of the spare tire winch before trips.
Gary

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks all for the tips, will keep these in mind they're great.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
@NZchill
I bet if you remove the plastic side panels you will find that some of the push pin holes didn't lined up and the installer just drilled new holes, no primer, no paint and no clean up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@NZchill
I bet if you remove the plastic side panels you will find that some of the push pin holes didn't lined up and the installer just drilled new holes, no primer, no paint and no clean up.
My next job after cleaning up the floor will be to take the panels off. These side panels are from the factory though, not sure if you were thinking they were aftermarket. We'll see what's behind them soon enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This:

- 3 new mirrors.
Two of them to cover the RH blind area (1 convex for quick visual acquisition, and 1 - flat for judging distances correctly).
One to replace the useless rearview mirror in case you have windows on any of the rear doors.

I second the eternabond tape on the roof, and the reduced tire pressure adjusted for the empty van.

I did all of these during my 1st week of ownership. The mirrors tweak made the van safe to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gordon White of Edge Vanworks ( https://edgevanworks.com/ ) designed a plate to put under the engine to protect it from things flying up from the road. You could probably install it yourself. I have a 2500. I don't know whether the 3500 has the same engine, but Gordon probably knows if you phone him. Information is in the link.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
@NZchill
I pulled the side panels off the other day and sure enough a bunch of metal shavings fell out. The drill holes didn't look too bad actually, will just need to touch up the paint on any bare metal areas. Today I used the shop vac to clean up any metal shavings/debris, I also cleaned the surface rust that occurred from the oxidized metal shavings, it just took some baking soda/vinegar/lemon juice and a brillo pad.

I found one drill hole on the wheel well that was really badly done, there was a sharp piece of metal sticking up. No idea why they don't debur the drill holes and clean up the shavings, I feel like it doesn't take much effort.

IMG_20200728_123400.jpg
IMG_20200729_164239.jpg
IMG_20200729_174400.jpg

And here's the big ass burr:
IMG_20200729_130255.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Gordon White of Edge Vanworks ( https://edgevanworks.com/ ) designed a plate to put under the engine to protect it from things flying up from the road. You could probably install it yourself. I have a 2500. I don't know whether the 3500 has the same engine, but Gordon probably knows if you phone him. Information is in the link.
You might also consider installing Sumo springs to improve the ride. Amazon sells them. Here is the description. SumoSprings® by SuperSprings® International, Inc.
Good ideas, thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 159 High Roof
3 Posts
Cowl has many leak points into engine compartment. (See Water Drainage in the Engine Compartment thread) Recommend replacing the tiny tubes (left and right side) with 3/8 clear tubing. Also caulk the divide, I used clear gutter caulk for that. Finally use black caulk where the cowl meets the window, use more at the very ends.
Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
36 Posts
One of the first things we did was stuff a bunch of old rags in/behind/above the gauge compartment behind the steering wheel to bring the beeping and turn signal noise to an appropriate decibel level. I have sensitive hearing and loud noises really bother me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
That volume is adjustable. Cant remember if it’s in the head unit or the little arrows to the left of the wheel.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts