Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or has it all been smuggled across the boarder in Promasters?
So, I was under my van installing an extra seat and I see through the hole that I drilled that the floor is thinner than anything I’ve ever seen made of metal. Then I reach over with my wrench to tap a tink on the gas tank and instead of a tink tink I get a thud thud. What? A plastic gas tank under my battery? I had read that the body was galvanized steel, but all I seen down there was gray paint. Where I come from galvanized means zinc coated and if the body is coated it surly should include the underneath as well. I mainly bought this van because the Ram B-3500 van that I have, which was built in Canada, is a tank. So far I like this Promaster a lot and I’m hoping that it dose not disappoint me but dang, how much are Mexican plastic parts going to cost if Trump gets elected?

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
The wall will be especially constructed with a spillway for plastic (sorta like a salmon run in a river). It will be very biggly to insure all Mexican plastic can get across - don't worry have anothe Carta Blanca ;)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I hear ya, but I’d consider the plastic tank a plus. I lived in Northern Vermont for nearly 60 years and if the entire car were plastic it would have been a positive thing. In the ‘60s and 70’s we could get only 4-5 years out of a new car due to the excessive salting of the roads! Current cars get 10+ and the plastic parts survive the salt just fine. My diesel’s DEF tank must be plastic I would guess due to the corrosive effects of Urea. Remember the advice given to Dustin Hoffman’s character in the movie “The Graduate”? Prophetic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish more parts were plastic, I had a Mitsubishi Fuso box truck one and could watch the truck rust right before my eyes. Fuel lines, brake lines, deflectors, bumpers, fuel tank straps, fuel filter housing, mirrors all during 4 years. When the fuel tank fell I knew the end was near. We use tons of salt here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had metal fuel tanks rust through (another northern Vt resident here). I also had a Ducati motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank swell and leak around its external seals because the plastic could not handle ethanol gas. Somewhere there is a combination of stuff that works...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had metal fuel tanks rust through (another northern Vt resident here). I also had a Ducati motorcycle with a plastic fuel tank swell and leak around its external seals because the plastic could not handle ethanol gas. Somewhere there is a combination of stuff that works...
True about the plastic, some get brittle with age and or sun, when my fuel lines rusted I replaced them with pex.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been released!

I'm from the deserts of the Southwest, Rain, snow, salt have never been a concern. I am planning to do a lot of travel where the weather is cooler and the people more friendly, so maybe PLASTIC IS COOL.
Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I'm from the deserts of the Southwest, Rain, snow, salt have never been a concern. I am planning to do a lot of travel where the weather is cooler and the people more friendly, so maybe PLASTIC IS COOL.
Thank you all.
You raise a good point in my mind. I spend winters in AZ and have on occasion left something plastic out over the summer. When I return the plastic thing is so brittle and fragile it requires a dustpan and bench brush to get it off the Xeriscape (AZ substitute for lawn). I went to repair vinyl siding on my sister’s house which was installed about 10 years ago....... If I hadn’t found a piece over the shed that had been kept out of the Sun I never could have done it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"...I spend winters in AZ and have on occasion left something plastic out over the summer. When I return the plastic thing is so brittle and fragile it requires a dustpan and bench brush to get it off the Xeriscape (AZ substitute for lawn)..."

There's plastic and more kinds of plastic. Usually if it says that it is "UV safe" it will last a few years in the sun. I have found that most lasting plastic is black. And it ain't no lie that plastic can fall apart real fast in the Southwest.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
We use lots of salt in NWontario. In the -20s the vehicle doesn't rust but a heated garage or warmer temps (melting) lets the rust runs wild if it isn't washed off

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am glad the gas tank is plastic. I had an Olds Cutlass that the metal gas tank was rusting away and would leak if I filled it over 1/2 tank. I had to stop every few days and pump a few gallons in to ensure I had gas but was not dribbling it out everywhere.

·
Registered
428 Posts
"Plastics" and similar products are, and have been for decades, vastly changing the world especially in the automobile industry. DuPont is a leader in this with some amazing technology and parts. Would you believe that plastic has replaced metal in tough environments as turbo parts on top of engines? See:

http://www.dupont.com/industries/automotive.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts