Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Ram ProMaster a vehicle good for the family if fitted with back seats? Or is this a kind of van that is strictly for commercial/business purposes?

Anyone here planning to use the ProMaster for family use?

·
Registered
386 Posts
It would be kind of hard to fit them with seats. Not to say you probably won't be able to get insurance with it because its not approved and doesn't pass federal safety requirements. Unless this is how you want to bring your family around

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is possible to get seats in there but it wouldn't be the most comfortable. It is a little too narrow for passengers. the Promaster will be best as a duty vehicle more than a passenger van.

·
Registered
100 Posts
no need to waste your time trying to figure out how you can use the promaster as a family van, it makes no sense at all, why not just buy a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter?
although the promaster is available in europe as a fiat ducato in passenger and cargo version's its going to be a while before we see the promaster line up expanded to include a passenger model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I doubt dodge will take part in making the Promaster a passenger van. they are marketing this vehicle to serve as a tradesman vehicle not a passenger van. It's way to narrow and tall, best for it cargo not passengers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why bother wasting money custom installing passenger seats on the Promaster. There are other options out there. The Ford Transit, and Mercedes Sprinter have passenger versions. There is also the Savanna, Express, and NV to choose from.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I doubt dodge will take part in making the Promaster a passenger van. they are marketing this vehicle to serve as a tradesman vehicle not a passenger van. It's way to narrow and tall, best for it cargo not passengers.
It's not too narrow or too tall for passengers, the Fiat Ducato has been in production for a while in passenger and cargo versions, I think the current Ducato is technically our future promaster which has the same width and height.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its a tight squeeze in those things. Just aw a review and many have mentioned how narrow the rear is. Passengers mention the lack of interior paneling so its loud and feels tight and cramped. Not somethings americans are use too more so europeans.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It has nothing to do with being a tight squeeze.

It's the fact that there are no side doors. No seat belt brackets. No seat brackets.

TO get a custom job done with 2 rows or 3 rows of seats.. The price is probably enough to buy yourself a used minivan for the family

And in the end of it all your car probably won't pass safety requirements.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well it passed safety requirement in Europe. The laws might be a little different but i doubt its enough to be that much of a difference to throw out the idea in the U.S. The Promaster would have a higher cost than what it was mentioned to be for the construction of seats and proper supporting brackets. But who would want a passenger van like this anyways.

·
Registered
62 Posts

It is possible but seriously it would make no sense to get one if you had to pay to get the proper supports and accessories just to have seats. For the extra cost you can get a sweet van like carryon said. I think Dodge's idea is to keep this vehicle commercial.

·
Registered
363 Posts

It is possible but seriously it would make no sense to get one if you had to pay to get the proper supports and accessories just to have seats. For the extra cost you can get a sweet van like carryon said. I think Dodge's idea is to keep this vehicle commercial.
definitely doesn't make sense, at that point it's a special order vehicle and will cost a ridicilous amount to produce since it's not like Ram will have them sitting in the masses on a lot.

So many passenger van options available for the U.S.
Sprinter passenger versions are great, used sprinters can be found for a good price if you look hard enough

·
Registered
41 Posts
definitely doesn't make sense, at that point it's a special order vehicle and will cost a ridicilous amount to produce since it's not like Ram will have them sitting in the masses on a lot.

Sprinter passenger versions are great, used sprinters can be found for a good price if you look hard enough
A big concern if the ram promaster was to come in a passenger form it would be the most uncomfortable rid. The high springrates are made to deal with heavy load capacity not made for passengers. there would be not comfort and not having paneling on the inside would just be a loud and uncomfortable ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Oh for sure, there are so many options for passenger vans out there and by the comments from others it would only make sense to get something more comfortable. Dodge would for sure have a huge stock pile of them if they were ever to be made but no buyers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well it passed safety requirement in Europe. The laws might be a little different but i doubt its enough to be that much of a difference to throw out the idea in the U.S. The Promaster would have a higher cost than what it was mentioned to be for the construction of seats and proper supporting brackets. But who would want a passenger van like this anyways.
They aren't selling a passenger version in north america.

I thought the OP was referring to MODIFYING the cargo van to be a passenger van. And I doubt you will be able to import the passenger version for cheap. It'll end up costing a ton.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They aren't selling a passenger version in north america.

I thought the OP was referring to MODIFYING the cargo van to be a passenger van. And I doubt you will be able to import the passenger version for cheap. It'll end up costing a ton.
That wouldn't be to smart of an idea, to pay import cost and fees when you add that up you can get decent passenger van instead of a commercial passenger van. Just buy the Promaster and modify it later to whatever your needs are whether for passengers or cargo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well it's going to depend on how much it cost for the import versus modifying the Promaster to passenger vehicle specs. But usually vehicles over cost more to begin with. You will end up spending way too much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with carryon. It doesn't make any sense to do that. If your really looking for a vehicle for passengers maybe you should look elsewhere. And to modify the Promaster for passengers don't you have to go through and meet some safety standards to transport passengers? You can just bring in milk crates for your passengers to sit on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts