Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we ready for an electric van? Some cons of going to an electric van weight of the batteries will lower your gvwr second is mileage third where to charge your batteries and cost of vehicle.
If the the new Glass battery meets expectations it may well change some of the cons. The G-battery is fire proof so there is no need to seal each cell in stainless steel this lowers the weight of the battery. They say it has a cycle life of 23000 cycles that's one a day for 63 years. And it works better in hot temps up to a point. They also say the capacity gets better with age. Yes I know it's hard to believe but this comes from the labs of J.B.Goodenough who is the father of today's lithium battery. The talk 2021-2022 for the battery to hit the market. I see no reason a van can't go 500-600 miles on a charge the Tesla semi is doing it at 10 times the weight with today's batteries. Just my thought's I put my $100 down for the pickup.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Which pickup? The Rivian or Tesla? I hope to see better battery tech before I die! I don't think Lithium batteries are the answer. Way too many resources killed to produce it along with child labor mining for it.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
I believe an electric van TODAY could be great for tradesmen who typically drive short or moderate distances and then it sets a lot as work is done. It doesn’t take much to see electric is the future or even NOW for some classes of vehicles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fiat shows an electric Ducato on its website. I did not see any dates for release but have to imagine it is not far off.
Range and usage may be limited while in town delivery or Service vehicles could be it's best use with the technology available today.
The tech is here now. They Just need to be built.
Focus on range is holding things back. Local use on a repeated route could use much smaller batteries and more often charging. Things such as high speed Wireless charging for buses at every stop could certainly extend usability. Even if charging at stops only accounted for 8-10 minutes per hour you would easily keep enough juice to extend range.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think the main use for the Ducato Electric van will be European city centers where ICE vehicles are seeing restrictions.
If they are on the same build cycle as the US it should be fall of 2020.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its cost that's holding things back. At least in the US an EV is about twice the price as a comparable gasoline vehicle. Who here would pay $70k for an electric PM?

We really dont need better batteries, we need cheaper batteries.

I had fun reading about the glass battery.

It will happen eventually!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Glass battery.
Is that like a giant crystal that powers the van with ancient ancestor spirit energy?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Looks like Ducato electric vans will be showing up in the UK market early 2020,

Looks like UK is the battle ground.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
I’m not convinced cost is even the issue as I just went through this when my sister bought a new car. Everything she looked at in the beginning was $35K-$45K so I priced a Tesla 3 at $43K ($54k in 4wd and auto driving) it was the same size and much more power than the others. NO SERVICE and electric charging at home would make it much cheaper later and there was still a Federal rebate which I have not counted.
I was excited as I tend to get her 6-8 year old cars with 50K and a Tesla would be lots of fun I thought.
In the end she decided she was too old for that size car and bought a compact fully tricked out for 27K. Lots cheaper but a lot less car too.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sprinter ev has just 93 miles (55 kWh) of range and a pay load 1,984 pounds the smaller battery has a range of 71 miles (41 kWh) with a payload of 2,293 pounds. The Tesla cyber truck tri motor is 3,500 pounds of payload. The cyber claims 500 mile range but if you look at the photos taken while Elon was out on the town with it the dash screen had a range of 600+.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Chanje has been in US for a year or two now. The V8100 is a huge Class 5 van 8 meters long and with 100 kWh battery. I believe parent company is in China, but not 100% certain.

I’ve seen claimed range of about 120-miles, so OK for local deliveries if accurate. It can haul a lot of weight due to large size.

Personally, I have no need for an electric van, but would like to see more mild-hybrid and plug-in options. Pure electric is not ideal for long road trips yet, which is what I want/need.

For what it’s worth, when I was in London a few years ago, pollution there was pretty bad, but I’d bet most was due to diesel vehicles. The smell of diesel emissions was horrible.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The upcoming VW electric bus - I.D Buzz, is expected to go on sale in 2022. They say 369 HP with close to 300 mile range that charges to 80% in 1/2 hour. Looks like it would be a fun vehicle, if you can find enough places to charge it away from home. It’s official: The VW Bus is back, and it’s electric

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The upcoming VW electric bus - I.D Buzz, is expected to go on sale in 2022. They say 369 HP with close to 300 mile range that charges to 80% in 1/2 hour. Looks like it would be a fun vehicle, if you can find enough places to charge it away from home. It’s official: The VW Bus is back, and it’s electric

If a van could be driven on the highway for a minimum of 3 hours (180~200 miles), still having a little reserve, and then charged in 30 minutes to repeat cycle over and over again, it would probably be “usable” for long road trips. If you spent 1/7 of time plugged in, would that mean that major interstates would eventually need enough charging stations for 1 out of each 7 vehicles traveling?

If so, major Interstates would need rest areas similar to Florida Turnpike every 20 to 30 miles with roughly 500 high-capacity chargers to meet peak traffic flow, like on holiday weekends?

I could adapt to having to stop 5 times for 1/2 hour each if traveling from say Texas to South Florida over two days. As long as I could safely stay in van while charging, I’d plan to eat lunch and dinner while charging.

My concern is mostly how dependent we would become on electricity, and therefore vulnerable.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
It should be required that there be a coffee shop with fresh cinnamon rolls being baked near every charger, clean bathrooms, and a view of a lake with nearby mountains from the patio. Huge solar arrays next door and covering the roofs of the buildings and carports would augment the power and be grid tied. Our electric vehicles should all be plugged into the grid when parked to allow us to sell back excess stored power when our schedules don’t require the car, making a dispersed stored electrical grid for peaks in use. The chargers should all have huge honking batteries in them too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Who has the most lithium deposits?
Just wondering who we would have to invade or become friends with when the oil is gone and we seriously have to convert to electric.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If the goal is to replace ICE vehicles with electric, it has to include all our needs. I can’t imagine over a million people evacuating an area like South Florida or Houston due to a hurricane, or an even worse disaster.

Battery-powered charger will only work for a few cars, hence a couple of hours at peak demand. I’d like to see a plan for emergencies when I’ve lost power for over a week. I suppose I can stay home and make coffee with vehicle’s electricity.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Solar power massage chairs would be nice too.
If someone could get that on the list,
that'd be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
@Chance - hadn't thought about EV's in an evacuation nightmare. What a mess that would be.

@RD - I like the idea of coffee and snacks - they would definitely need restrooms!
At least fuel tankers can come from as far as Dallas (to Houston) and even that caused fuel shortages in Dallas area which wasn’t affected by Houston storms. Within a day or two extra tankers from all over US can be rerouted, and gas stations can pump gas with small generators (although most don’t).

Sarcasm aside, if drivers will have to plug in for 30 minutes every few hours while driving cross-country, they need something to do, otherwise 30 minutes will seem like an eternity.

Just like we built the interstate system, I guess we could upgrade it with recharging plazas that also serve as rest stops. I’d find it much easier to own an electric car if I knew I could recharge every 20 to 30 miles along the interstates all over the country. An electric car or van that I can only use within 100 miles of home isn’t practical for many of us based on how we use our vehicles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts