Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the connection and storage cuddy for my iPod and it works well. To avoid always removing the iPod into my house I would like to copy my iPod music onto a flash drive that I could leave plugged into my Promaster. All my music is from disks copied through my computer to iTunes then onto the iPod. None is purchased from Apple. No method of copying even that suggested by Apple seems to work. It must have something to do with copyright protection. Does anyone know a way to solve this problem?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not familiar with Itunes, but could you possibly link a second Ipod to the same account and keep it in the vehicle? Used ones go pretty cheap on Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Formate your flash stick in fat32 first then just open up iTunes on your Mac and drag and drop any MP3 music files you want to the flash drive. They will copy over fine in seconds. Then just put the stick in the USB aux receptical and choose it from the media button on your uconnect 5. If you don't have a uconnect 5 the way you choose it may be different I can only vouch for the 5.

You can also make a folder on your Mac desktop and drag and drop the same way then drage and drop the folder to your flash drive but I prefer the first method as it is a a lot cleaner way to do it.

I have a 32gig flash drive that I use this very way and my only complaint is it always starts playing from the first track on the drive if you remove it and then put it back in. Any album cover graphics will also show up on the uconnect screen while playing the song if they are encoded correctly to begin with.

All my music has been downloaded or copied from other sources, not purchased from iTunes or elsewhere so no of it has any copy protection.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I'm guessing you may need to convert your iTunes library to MP3s from whatever format they are in. I did. Early in the iTunes history the ACC format was employed to prevent unlimited copying. To convert these there are programs I understand. Now you know all I know.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
...I have a 32gig flash drive that I use this very way and my only complaint is it always starts playing from the first track on the drive if you remove it and then put it back in.
I noticed that too. In addition, if I use the Album or Artist method to select tunes, it often errors out, so I always use the Folder menu to select what I want to listen to. If I pick a folder and it starts playing the songs in that folder, it will continue to repeat the songs in the folder after playing all, instead of moving on to the next folder.

Other than that, the USB input works great!

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
All my music is saved as mp3's which play fine. I suspect but don't really know that wav files all also play on the connect 5. When you do import music files/cds to iTunes you have 5 choices of import formats under the general preferences menu/import settings. Choose mp3 and whichever bit rate you want. It's been so long since I ever had any music files that weren't in mp3 format I don't remember how to batch change them but I seem to remember in iTunes there is a way. I do know when I right click on the file name in iTunes it gives me the option to "Create an mp3 Version" but they are already in that format so I never use it. Perhaps you get that option no matter what format the original file is in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just select the music files in iTunes folder, copy, paste to flash card.
Works great in my uconnect jeep, haven't tried in the uconnect PM but guessing it will work like the jeep

no conversion was necessary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts