Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one bought a 2000 watt harbour freight invertor? Would like to use for occasionally powering microwave and maybe powering dorm size fridge while driving,are they very noisey,thanks?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use a 1500 watt inverter from a different company to power a Refrigerator/freezer and heater at all times I am driving or stopped. Not noisy at all !

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Seams to me that a microwave draws a lot of current, say 100 Amps out of a 12V battery for a 1200 Watt microwave.

Wouldn't that be a problem even when the motor is on?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I use a 1500 watt inverter from a different company to power a Refrigerator/freezer and heater at all times I am driving or stopped. Not noisy at all !
Could you show it to us?
and where you bought it and how you hooked it up??
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
most small m/w's are in the 600-700 watt range, so consumption of house battery thru inverter s/b fine. Just pay attention to that when you buy it. You might want to consider using a 12v fridge instead of 110v (or dual voltage). Use a battery charger for the house battery sufficient to power it (when on external 110v power). There are many of these available, some with very minimal current draw. Some have traditional compressor/Freon systems, some are thermo-electric. The thermo ones are VERY quiet, only a small fan for moving parts, but they do not cool as quickly as the Freon ones and typically do not have freezing capability. Both are available as built-in or portable, although the Freon ones tend to be heavy for portable. There are some other post here about minimizing current consumption.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Has any one bought a 2000 watt harbour freight invertor? Would like to use for occasionally powering microwave and maybe powering dorm size fridge while driving,are they very noisey,thanks?

A great refrigerator solution is this:

Yes, it's expensive but it's super insulated, extremely efficient, runs on 12V or 110v (no need for an inverter.) This is a real fridge with compressor, not a Koolatron type. I've had mine since last spring and I can't believe how well it works even locked up in my van on the hottest days. 'course you might want an aux. battery if you're going to run it often without the engine running but it only takes 4.5 amps @ 12v and that's only when it's running, it's so well insulated it doesn't run often even on the hottest days. And it's very quiet too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Primo all I connected the inverter directly to main battery. I usually arrive at racetrack on Friday and do not start van until Sunday evening. Never a problem with the fridge/freezer running all weekend. I bought the inverter at a truck stop for $120 with a $20 mail in rebate about a year ago. Recently I added the second battery for insurance so I don't have a battery issue.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
That is my exact set up! It works ok, pretty quiet. I paid about $125 or so, on sale, but that's all it's worth. It runs my dorm fridge and micro fine but sometimes if the battery is low the coffee maker makes it moan. I only have 1 AGM battery connected to it, 2 would be better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you keep on vanning,that answers the question,have you ever used it hooked to the engine while driving,not off the spare battery as I don't have one yet,thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes I had the inverter connected directly to the main battery while driving I also put at times the heater on in back, 750watts. I only recently added the 2nd battery.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Interior of van. I also use a propane heater that works amazingly well when I am stopped and not want to start the generator.
Where is your propane tank? Did you drill any holes to run the hose outside? Or is there a hole already available for the propane hose?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I keep the 20lbs propane tank in the back corner of the van on the passenger side covered with a heavier movers type blanket and have a 10 foot long line if I needed to move the heater anywhere through out the van .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I can add that youll find crappy 12v fridges at any bigger T/A or flying j, along with a whole wall of fun 12v stuff. Fridge might cost $60.

In the past, ive had ok luck with just a cooler and a bag of ice. Cheap, foolproof, keeps crap cold for almost 2 days. Doubles as a jump seat, automan, step stool, and emergency toilet!

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Thank you keep on vanning,that answers the question,have you ever used it hooked to the engine while driving,not off the spare battery as I don't have one yet,thanks
Yes, NO problem at all! In fact, on a long trip thats exactly what I do!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts