Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thinking Outside the Box 🤪

So after researching inverters (thank you all for your help) & our pretty limited needs, we decided against adding an inverter to our electrical system. My wife needs a hand blender to make her latte in the morning & if we on the rate occasion need to make the latte & coffee inside our van we need a heat source.

So we purchased a cordless hand blender (lithium), it arrived, we tested it, It Rocks

Also purchased a “Gas One” burner “dual fuel” butane/propane. This will get used rarely but nice to have.

Cordless Lithium Hand Blender $110 CAN
Gas One Burner $60 CAN

For Us some of the best decisions we have made in Van Building has been thinking outside the box (probably some of the worst also 😳)

·
Registered
144 Posts
It makes sense to have an inverter in the context of just being generally prepared, you already have the batteries. For another relatively small investment you've got AC power in a pinch. Never know what fate is going to toss your way.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It makes sense to have an inverter in the context of just being generally prepared, you already have the batteries. For another relatively small investment you've got AC power in a pinch. Never know what fate is going to toss your way.
I have AC & DC power in a pinch 👍

Also 12v if needed with no need for battery power or even the PM.

The inverter idea for us was just a matter of convenience. We have 120v even boondocking if we choose, I just didn’t like pulling our Honda generator out for the wife to use her 120v hand blender which is necessary for her latte. Solved that issue with a cordless lithium hand blender. If we can have powerful cordless drills etc for construction why not for the kitchen?

We are attempting to reduce & eliminate our dependence on 120v for our van. If we can’t we may eventually install an inverter (or plan for it with Van#2).

The Stand Alone Backup (or occasional 120v need) Honda;

·
Registered
627 Posts
I feel the very opposite. The 120V side is essential for us to power air conditioner, heat, microwave, coffee maker, TV, etc. The 12V side is much easier to do without. When traveling from campground to campground, I don’t “need 12V at all, which is what we did for many years.

I can easily see a very simple battery system that only powers an inverter, and everything inside motorhome being 120V residential down to the lights.
It was a pleasure to read your several posts in this thread. You are possibly the only other RV owner that thinks the way we do. We started, like so many, to focus on DC power. Then 'the light' came on - - virtually every device and appliance we might desire to use in the van comes with a 120 vac power adapter or was designed, in the first instance, to run off of 120 vac. A significant problem running DC is that it is often difficult to find acceptable DC versions of devices (e.g. TV sets) that are available by the tens of dozens designed for 120 vac. So we did a complete flip - - ignore (minimize) 12 vdc and focus entirely on 120 vac, just like we do at home. What's the disadvantage? The 10% loss of efficiency running an inverter and some inverter 'overhead' power. So what? If our power needs for DC would have been 200 amp-hours, now they're 220 amp-hours plus inverter overhead! Not a big deal. We'll go with a 250ah battery instead.

We understand the OP has elected a different, more standard DC approach. We make this addition to this thread to confirm and support the concept you raised that AC-centric systems have merit that others may wish to reconsider.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts