Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week I've trapped and killed 5 mice in my van.

I've found them up front and in the cargo area. (I have the factory cargo separator.)

Any thoughts about where they are getting in?

·
Registered
253 Posts
A better question yet might be why are the trying to get in. From what I have experienced, this isn't generally the time of year that mice are looking for indoor shelter. Is there a food source, or is the climate preferable? Check for gaps around the rear doors. Mine had 3/4" gaps at the bottom of the doors that would easily have let mice in if they were so inclined. I would also check the gasket around the fresh air intake in the hood. It could also be something wrong with the 4 air pressure vents in the rear quarters. See the pics I have posted in my thread here:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40025

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
There is a whole caste in India that's devoted to catching rats and eating them after bbqing them over a fire. Perhaps you could offer to sponsor a family to help rid you of the problem? It might be cheaper and easier to follow Pete's recommendation however!>:D:);)

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,413 Posts
In the past week I've trapped and killed 5 mice in my van.

I've found them up front and in the cargo area. (I have the factory cargo separator.)

Any thoughts about where they are getting in?

May be some illegal immigrants, I here they load the vans up before they cross the border. :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had issues with mice in both my Sprinter and my car. They haven't gotten inside the vehicles, only in the engine compartment. They really like the insulation that they put under the hood. I tried poison under the hood, it would kill a few of them but others would soon take their place. Eventually I removed the insulation and I havent seen any since then.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Is this a delivery or work problem? Is somewhere you're parking on a rodent highway and your PM is just a rest stop?

No food, no/low rodents. Quit feeding birds, talk to neighbors about limiting or stopping what is put out. Somewhere nearby they have habitat that has over-population pressures driving them to colonize your truck - time to do a little search and destroy and eliminate the mouse factories. Those landscape ideas where they put plastic down as weed-block and place mulch over top are prime breeding grounds, I found that out the hard way...

It's nothing for a wild mouse to leap sixteen or eighteen inches straight up - go over the under-chassis looking for missing plastic plugs along the runways they can leap to, or gaps they can leap to directly. I've watched the little debils make a 24" leap to a two-inch hole rusted out in my lifted F150 rocker panels...

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
They will not pass through Great Stuff foam. Seems to easy but foam any obvious holes when inspecting the underside of the van. Put screen over the air uptake for the heat/ventilation system. Remove any fabric and soft insulation and most of all, do not eat in your van! A mouse will come a mile for a few crumbs of a Dunkin Doughnut. Oh a last thought.... they leave a scent trail so once they have found a path every mouse that you park near has an open invitation to come in, eat and reproduce with the residents! You are doomed! >:D Rent a cat.

·
Registered
752 Posts
'Leave scent trails' is another term for mice are incontinent and dribble their way across the whole wide world. A $10 battery-powered black light will cause their hangouts to glow (in the dark) but be warned not to check your own bathroom & kitchen, you'll be scrubbing for weeks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may all be in for even a bigger rodent issue - BEWARE IF THIS - don't know if design is diff but my 2015 promaster's front bumper has a flat top; the air intakes sit on that surface. Rodents walk the surface and find the warm airducts and nest in the air filter canister, eat the filter and fill the intake tube up to the turbo baffles. THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW, IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PLS LET ME KNOW as we are looking to start a CLASS action against dodge as screens need to be installed over the air intakes. This is a huge design flaw and is a big reason air intake should always be designed free standing.

1st symptom was no power going uphill and check engine light came on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had evidence of mice under the hood as well. They seem to like the black layer on the fiberglass sound insulation on the hood and firewall. The just about completely ate it all on the hood insulation and where they could reach on the firewall - didn't seem to like the fiberglass underneath however. Now I set traps and spray the insulation with peppermint oil - they seem to avoid that stuff. Maybe is smells like cat urine to them.

I checked my air filter and fortunately there was no evidence of the buggers in there. Tomorrow I am going to put a stainless steel screen across the intake pipe. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
A neighbor of mine had a bigger rodent issue - a NORWAY RAT nest under the hood in her BMW. The solution was "Just One Bite" rat poison.

I have found that Eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil are useful repellants.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You may all be in for even a bigger rodent issue - BEWARE IF THIS - don't know if design is diff but my 2015 promaster's front bumper has a flat top; the air intakes sit on that surface. Rodents walk the surface and find the warm airducts and nest in the air filter canister, eat the filter and fill the intake tube up to the turbo baffles. THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW, IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PLS LET ME KNOW as we are looking to start a CLASS action against dodge as screens need to be installed over the air intakes. This is a huge design flaw and is a big reason air intake should always be designed free standing.

1st symptom was no power going uphill and check engine light came on.
I don't really want to say this, but... shut up and deal with your bad luck.

I'm sorry, but if this was an overall problem, there's enough of us here that we'd be hearing about it. Nevermind the last 8 years of Fiat Ducatos that are probably using the same intake. And I'm quite sure there are rodents in Europe too. ;)

Now, if you want a widespread issue with air intakes, head over to the Transit forums where MANY folks are having water leaks into the air filter, then getting soggy, and some are coming apart.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had some Mice gnawing above the ceiling waking me up at night & wasn't able to place traps anywhere near.

Looked into the ultrasonic pest repelling devices. The description wasn't appropriate for my problem, but sounded great for inside a van.

These small battery powered units aren't very expensive & may be worth a try.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I own a large warehouse for our business and it's nearly impossible to truly seal it from mice. I bought a half dozen of the 110 volt versions of these ultrasonic rodent repellents and plugged them in around the warehouse. Two got chewed up by mice and one was being used to support their nest.

I think they are about as functional as deer whistles, one of the largest scams in the world.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Two summers ago, a mice made a home under my hood. Stupid thing chewed my AC wires: hottest drive ever on my drive home from coast to coast.

Last summer, I left my hood open at night, figuring that they would prefer a top over their head and avoid my van. But if one came up with a brilliant idea, I would buy it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
"Two got chewed up by mice and one was being used to support their nest" >:D>:D:D:D

·
Registered
454 Posts
This september we camped next to a lake in BC. The sun is down and we're sitting in the van reading. We hear some noise underneath, which continues for a while. I get a pole out and start banging, I see a rat peak out and check me out. I keep banging and I see a little mouse run off. OK, my mind is playing tricks on me. We go back inside. Pretty soon more noises, this time under the hood. Open the hood and the rat peaks out at me again, there's a little insulation that he's moved from someplace else. I commence pole banging again, but I don't see him run off. We start the engine, pack up and move. No more noises, no smells of fried rat either.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Baked rat is really better than fried anyway.
I went out to see what the potential was for having an air cleaner filled with little furry friends, insulation and their droppings. My evaluation resulted in a positive. That is, I'm positive with my luck mice will move into my air intake/aircleaner housing. It is designed like a rodent house from the pet store. There is a long flat metal housing across the top of the radiator with several appealing rodent sized openings then dark passages leading to a single plastic pipe back and down to the bottom of the aircleaner. Today I have put a piece of hardware cloth (course screen)to create a barrier and not prevent the free flow of air to my engine. It cost 10 cents and took 10 minutes.

Here is what I needed to do the job. The hardware cloth is 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch! Mice go through larger sizes and air is restricted if its screen for windows.

Here is the area the mice can begin their journey into my air cleaner, we cannot close off all these openings, too many:

Connected to back of the center of the radiator brace there is a black plastic elbow that attaches to the brace in an enlarged end, sort of a horn. It is held on by 2 phillips screws I can access with the screwdriver shown, I take them out:

Next I cut a piece of hardware cloth 5-1/2 inches by 3 inches and round the corners.

I position that in the mouth of the horn and replace the screws:

Normal disclosure: if you hurt yourself or your van I am not responsible because I did not say to do this, only that I had done it myself. You are responsible if you listen to me or act like me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts