Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the PNW and I have a nicely functional camper (PM 3500, 159" wb) and have learned a lot about why things are done in certain ways (DIY == "do it three times"). I have camped in some seriously cold and discovered how even a little hole in an uninsulated beam can be like a mini-air conditioner... Although with a Gas heater running all night on low was sufficient to make it comfortable.

My build is pretty deluxe. I ended up purchasing a new van from the previous year (2019) as it was on deep discount and only cost $4k or so more than used vans on offer at the time. I figured the extra $ was worth the warrantee, doors that closed properly, quiet transmissions and working suspension. I started working on the build in August 2020 and took it on its first camp out in October. The second trip was Thanksgiving in Eastern Washington (Brr) with the newly installed heater. As of this posting I am completing the trim and painting the interior looking forward to my next trip to the southern California deserts.

My requirements, at the start, were:
  1. All electric, no fuel/fumes inside the van
  2. Sufficient water for a week off grid in the desert
  3. A refrigerator to hold a weeks worth of food and Ice Cream (and make ice for the evening sundowner)
  4. Solar/Battery sized to cover 2-3 days/wo sunshine or driving.
  5. Toilet (essential interior item at night when it is 15 outside)
Current specs:
  1. 20l IsoSpa hot water, heated by inverter and engine coolant loop
  2. 2 burner induction stove
  3. Small microwave oven
  4. Nespresso coffee maker (ok, this is not built in, so not really part of the build)
  5. 5 cf Vitrofrig refer/freezer
  6. 400w Rich Solar panels
  7. 2x100Ah Renogy smart lithium + display panel
  8. 2000w Renogy inverter charger + shore plug
  9. 50a Renogy DC-to-DC/MPPT charger
  10. 24g fresh water holding tank + three way filter for sketchy water
  11. 10g grey water for the sink
  12. Composting toilet (Natures Head - overpriced and totally worth it).
  13. Webasto 2kw gas heater connected to the Aux port of the fuel tank.
  14. Queen bed in the back, led lighting, etc.
  15. MaxxAir vent placed forward away from the bed and where the roof is flat.
  16. Swivel seat adapters
  17. Klllmat sound control, Thinsulate insulation
  18. Arctic Tern windows.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Frenchman Coulee, near George WA.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,995 Posts
Welcome!

Many here on the forum have wished that there was an indication with your name that shows some minimal info about you. It really helps with context when others are responding to your posts or threads. Since the forum offers that feature, please consider adding a short phrase to your account that tells us a bit about you and your van.

Here's how:

To the left of the 3 dots at the top of the screen click on "My Account", then click on "Account Settings" in the menu

In the area labelled "Vehicle Details", enter info on YEAR, LENGTH, HEIGHT, AND LOCATION (for example, I put in "2014-159 HR in CT")

Beneath, where it says, "Choose who can view your Vehicle Details in privacy settings" click on privacy settings

Scroll down and set

View your Vehicle Details on your profile: All visitors
View your Vehicle Details when you post: All visitors

Hit Save.... all done, and THANKS!

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Promaster 2500 - 159
70 Posts
Hello from south of seattle!
My wife and I just bought a van to start working on! I might reach out to you for some insight if you are willing! Maybe there is an opportunity for a PNW meet up! haha.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello from south of seattle!
My wife and I just bought a van to start working on! I might reach out to you for some insight if you are willing! Maybe there is an opportunity for a PNW meet up! haha.
Sure, DM me with your contact info and we can set something up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like how you roof rack is tight against the body.
I used aluminum uni-strut for the rails and purchased adapters for the roof pins and bolted them down. Then fabricated solar panel mounts to hold the panels between the struts. It is overengineered. If I were to do it again, I would glue the panel mounts to the roof. The uni-strut, however, was needed to support the canopy which is self supporting (no support poles) so presents large torsional loads in wind. The cross bars are to transfer the torsional load across the roof. Again, over engineered. I need to figure out something different for the rear bar so I can put a little deck back there to hold gas/water/recovery boards, etc.

I also need to figure out how to move all this to a "build" thread...

·
Administrator
11,542 Posts
Thread closed - this is the introductory forum. Please make future posts in the proper forum (NOT) the introductory forum.
Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.