Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just beginning our build and starting from a not-so-perfect interior. Lots of deep and wide scratches and patches of missing paint in addition to denting. I'm guessing this will rust over time and it'd be nice to nip it in the bud while it's stripped down. I was thinking of just getting some Rustoleum spray paint and doing a once over on anything I notice. Another idea is to get some sort of rubberized spray paint and do the whole floor pan.

Or I could just leave it. Out of sight, out of mind right?

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you're building it as an RV I would avoid spray paints or rubberized sprays. Many of them are foul smelling and contain toxic chemicals. When covered their curing process can be slowed and they will off gas for a very long time. I would simply spray a thin layer of a natural oil or use a product like Fluid Film on everything before covering it. That will do a much better job in getting into the areas where rust might occur, and when covered it will last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
In contrast I’d research and see if bedliner came in colors and spray (or roll) the thing to have a nice slightly textured surface on anything that showed after my build, perhaps a tan in your sandstone van?
It will off-gas by the time you begin camping, or it will kill you from the fumes, who knows?

Or do nothing, that van will never rust out from the inside if you insulate properly.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
I've used the Rustoleum spray and can paints quite a bit and never had any problem with them. The chromate that used to be in these kinds of paints, and was a bit nasty but effective on rust is all gone now and against federal regulations.

Maybe wipe the areas with Acetone or the like before you paint.

Gary

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
For interior I used POR15 and ProGuard everywhere..
Then for every cut I made I sprayed RustOleum Spray Zinc.
I live in Canada and there is a lot of salt spray in the winter months, so I applied Pro guard rubber coat under neat too.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
I Love POR15 that stuff is awesome and I used it around all my cuts at windows and such. For under the van I use LPS3 Premier Rust Inhibitor (https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-LPS-Premier-Rust-Inhibitor/dp/B000SKWQQS?th=1) This stuff is awesome! I live near a local amusement park called Kennywood park just outside Pittsburgh PA and they use this stuff by the barrel on all the roller coasters and other rides so they get through the winter rust free. its pretty good stuff and I used it on every nook and cranny under the van. now I'm not sure about harmful chemicals for inside use so you may want to research that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Or do nothing, that van will never rust out from the inside if you insulate properly.
Never is probably strong, but it's a fair point that the moisture should be on the outside

For interior I used POR15 and ProGuard everywhere.. Then for every cut I made I sprayed RustOleum Spray Zinc.
Thank's for the brand tips. My neighbor had recommended Fluid Film as well. Your pictures are exactly what I was thinking to just seal it all up and not worry about it in the future.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
Never is probably strong, but it's a fair point that the moisture should be on the outside

Thank's for the brand tips. My neighbor had recommended Fluid Film as well. Your pictures are exactly what I was thinking to just seal it all up and not worry about it in the future.
I don't know Fluid Film, but I forgot to mention that I also used PRO FORM for the cavities: http://www.proformproducts.com/en/products/coatings/rustproofing/cavity-wax/, I don't know how toxic this product is, but once is dry and with the insulation and vapor barrier I think I will survive.
One note about POR 15 from Bob's website This is a water curing product that will utilize any available moisture to cure. I hope this means that there will be absolutely no moisture between the skin and the sealer.
Bob did an amazing job you can visit his blog here: http://rampromaster.weebly.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I haven't come across that blog before, thanks! Proform looks pretty interesting. I wonder if its needed where factory paint is still intact, same with the POR-15 since he seems to have left the ribs/inner tubing exposed.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
Wow, I haven't come across that blog before, thanks! Proform looks pretty interesting. I wonder if its needed where factory paint is still intact, same with the POR-15 since he seems to have left the ribs/inner tubing exposed.
I have left the ribs untouched, basically I painted all surfaces that have exposure to the outside, I think this where most of the condensation could take place.
There is another site where Bob blog comes from, you will like it, there is a lot of good sourcing info there. http://www.buildagreenrv.com/.

Also just for fun let me show the window I got from China (acrylic double pane) same stuff from Seitz:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts