Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,254 Posts
@h1k3rb
Agree, I bet he walked up the counter and asked it he could dump it. As clever as he is I'm surprised he didn't make a nondescript cover for toting the tank around in public.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
I also was curious about the gray water discharge. Not a big deal if camping offroad and using non toxic soaps.
But if they are just dumping that out onto a parking lot, that's a little disgusting and inconsiderate.
Maybe it's just water they are dumping. But he said it smells. That means there's disgusting debris in there that they shouldn't dump onto a parking lot where other people have to walk and park.
And storm drains are for rain run off.
Not gray water. Not that it makes much difference with the crap tht ends up in our water, but why add to a problem just because it's already bad.
I think he should have briefly went over what their process is before admitting they discharge their gray water right in the ground.
Hi,
On our last trip up to the Yukon, we had a rock take out the outlet pipe from our grey water tank. Tried to fix it with stuff from the local hardware, but no luck. So, we picked up one of those heavy alum foil Turkey cooking pans and put it under the grey water outlet (what was left of it) each night when we camped. I was surprised how little volume there was and it basically looked like water and did not smell. In the morning, I just dumped it in the bushes.
But, we don't have a shower -- guess that would be a different story.

I've since fixed the grey water tank, but I was tempted to just use the Turkey pan grey water system as its very easy to live with.

-----
We use a homemade composting toilet with urine separation, and after reading the comments above and below, I'm reminded how much we like this solution. Three weeks on the road between emptyings, which is no mess or fuss at all. And, it makes a fine spare seat and map holder!

Gary

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Either he was exaggerating about how bad it smelled, or if it did smell, it's because there's food particles, grease and other gross stuff.
Would have been nice if he clarified whether or not they have rules for where they empty it, or like you, they put a pan down in certain circumstances.
Like when in a parking lot or someone's driveway.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
He did say that and I do exactly the same thing with my grey water, about the only thing he did I would do!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
He did say that and I do exactly the same thing with my grey water, about the only thing he did I would do!
He did. I missed it.
But he said they hardly use it. Maybe to brush their teeth once in a while.
So, what would stink "reeeeally bad"?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
In video he mentioned not wanting to clean and chlorinate the grey tank. In my experience a grey tank will need cleaning eventually even if you just put water in it.

He does show how he cleans dishes by wiping solids off with paper towel and then cleaning with Windex if I recall correctly. And then eats off those plates? Windex may be non toxic, but so are a lot of things I don’t want to consume.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
This guy has quite a few unrealistic ideas that make camping more difficult and less enjoyable as far as I’m concerned. His idea of cooking, sealing and freezing all his food alone is laughable. Eating thawed out scrambled egged and the same frozen meals every day isn’t my idea of living well but to each his own he’s happy and thinks he’s living the good life so good luck to him?

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
He’d be freeze drying his food in that case. Good for a lot of laughs tho?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to store and dispose of your cow patties if you pooped into vacuum baggies and then vacuum packed them?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,510 Posts
I LOVE that freezer. For example, MrNomer makes a killer spaghetti sauce. Messy to make, cooks a long time, makes a lot, so not something to make in the van. But if I could just grab a bag from the freezer, pop it into the microwave….

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
Did you see how much he keeps in that freezer not to mention it all looked the same

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
873 Posts
He apparently likes omelettes in the morning and steak at night.

Better than a guy I met years ago who ate almost nothing but hot dogs, said he could eat them for all 3 meals every day. My wife and I thought he was kidding but his wife corroborated his story, which was surprising since he appeared to be very fit and healthy at the time.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
His electrical system seems to be fairly adequate to run a lot of appliances.
I'll bet he's got a B2B charger.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
The electrical job is probably the best part of that conversion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
On the grey tank: I have a 5 gal grey tank - I basically brush teeth and do a few dishes. Maybe 1/2 gallon in a week, if that. In the summer after a week or so, it will smell. I use kitchen cleaner with chorine bleach to clean it, leaving a fair amount in it, but it will still get to stinking after a while. A lot of lightweight truck campers use the solution of running the grey water outside, and use a bucket to collect it if they're in a campground. I'd rather deal with the smell than that hassle, but everyone has their preferences about life's little hassles.

On the cow patty wrapping, have you guys seen this portable wrapping toilet: https://www.setechnologiesltdusa.com/wrappon It costs almost $1K, and the supplies are $1.54 per use. It shrink wraps your waste.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have some small chlorine tablets about the size if the end of my little finger. Drop one in after dumping the grey water out and there is no bad smell and really no chlorine smell either.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts