Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
This afternoon I built a sun screen for my Promaster's windshield. Had to do it myself as nothing at the auto parts stores come close to fitting. I had to make it 3 feet tall and 6 feet wide to work. Made it a bear to sew. I do bike and sidecar upholstery for a living. I don't have a sail loft. ;-) Large pieces are difficult to maneuver under my big Consew machine. I put marine boat top edging around it in white and used a thick UV resistant black poly thread. (I don't have any of that in white because there is no need for it in the work I usually do.) Later, after I cool down here, I'll work out a pattern for a couple side window covers as well. This is something I can reproduce to sell. It'd be about $100 for the three pieces plus shipping. I sew pleats into them so they fold up in a zig zag and then wrap with a nylon strap and Velcro to secure them. It can then be laid on the shelf above the drivers head. Just tentatively testing waters here, if I make more would I lose my shirt on them. I can only make three windshield covers from a whole roll of insulation.

Remember that I am not a Chinese barracks factory here. Just one beat up old disabled Vet who still has to work for a living. Hand made in America will beat Chinese quality most every time. No photo yet, I think you've all seen mylar bubble wrap windshield covers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I se... I won't worry about making more then. Front side window covers are done now. Shoe Goo will stick a magnet to vinyl edging well!

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Hey Rich I didn’t respond as I had already bought a Camco window blind, made all my rear window covers out of it and then used the remainder to do the windshield. Unlike you I couldn’t sew the edging well so what I did looks terrible but the Camco house window cover was $20 (now $32) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JRJVVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it has been fine but I need side window covers for the cab and I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381725335220?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
This is your completion and I agree they may be crap... my homemade ones look bad but work well.
As an aside I created a triangle tarp to be able to put it up in 2 minutes without any help and I made a second to sell for $100+ offered up on the forum, my cost. I too got silence. Want to trade a tarp for a 136 van for a set of the window covers? LOL See:http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37177&page=13 post 123

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Yes, I see but I am not buying it anyway! Last week I looked to see what was available and I then emailed him at his website outside ebay to find out what was available for the side window and back windows. He told me the ad covers DID fit the PM but he did not have patterns yet for the side and back windows, and the picture was not the cover he would send. Who knows until they order and report. I am not planning too. They sell mostly to car owners it looks like. Why don’t you post up your pictures to see if there is interest. I might want the side window pieces??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get pics tomorrow guys. I don't care for suction cups like in the pics on EBay. I glued magnets to the sewn on edging for mine.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Bought a 10ft x 2ft roll of reflectix at home depot $22. +tx
Rolls from armrest across the dash board to the other armrest. a little tweaking it will make a great windshield cover

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ide window.

Quite proud of this one. Good fit. Main windshield one, not as much. You'll see from the pic I need to trim it down some.

Windshield

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay guys. My neighbor came over and liked what he saw. I just spent the afternoon making him a 104" x 48" sun shield for his huge RV windshield. When you build stuff for a living, your own projects often have to get in the back of the line. ;-) I'll re trim mine this evening and then get better pictures of it. Wrinkles offend me. I'm OCD that way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Interested in these window shades. Door shades look great. Have you gotten around to making the modifications to the windshield shade ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts