Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insuring my ProMaster was pretty straightforward when it was just a "cargo van". Now that it is has been converted to a CAMPERVAN with some significant upgrades, I think it would be prudent to change the coverage. I've been told that I should tell my insurer (USAA) that I would like to change my coverage to a "stated value" policy - ie, I tell them what value I now want to insure at, which would include SOME of the value added during conversion.

THE QUESTION: For those of you that have modified your PM. How are you handling the increased value because of the conversion/modification? Is anyone using "stated value" as the basis for insuring your ProMaster?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I actually already have an RV insurance policy even though I just started work on the RV conversion. My insurance agent told me once I finish the conversion Progressive may ask for proof in the form of receipts when I increase the value of the vehicle insured. If for some reason I don't like the new rate I will switch. My agent sent me three quotes and they were all cheap (even full timer coverage). Gotta love RV insurance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Hi Steve,
I am using State Farm. At first, I just insured it as a PM cargo van, and the rate was quite high - painful. I talked to them at the time and suggested insuring it as an RV, but since at the time I had just started the conversion they could not do that.
Conversion complete now, and I talked to them again a couple months ago, and they have switched it to an RV. This was a big improvement -- I'm now paying less than $500 for very complete coverage.

So, I'd ask your insurer about insuring it as an RV. In any case I'd tell them the whole story of where you are and see what they can do for you.

The State Farms home office raters only comment on changing it to an RV was that I had not "just thrown a porta potti in the back and called it an RV". I offered to drive it in so they could see it was a full conversion, but they were OK with taking my world. The subject of what is the current value never came up.
I've been dealing with this SF office for years, and have come to trust them --I tell them the whole truth and they (I think) do their best for me.

Gary

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys - Guess I will call USAA and ask about switching to "RV Insurance" and see what they say. The thing that i don't understand is how the insurance companies determine the value of the end package (van + RV conponents) which could be anywhere from $2000 to $20,000 more than the vans original value. Guess that's where "providing proof" and "telling the whole story" comes into play, along with what I'd been told about "stated value" coverage.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
I have GEICO, 6-mth premium is $250 and that's $1K deductible and no extra modifications insured. The most expensive modification is my rooftop AC $1,500 includes install labor charge, there is no plumbing, no tanks, no propane lines, etc. my van is more of a toy hauler that I sleep in, rather than a motorhome. That's why I got insurance for a rental car while van goes to body/service for any extended time. I can absorb the loss of the modifications (about $5K total), so wasn't planning to change my insurance to "RV". But, dunno, maybe I should?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My vehicles (3) are also insured with Geico and love the rates. The premium on my van is $219 with a $250 deductible on comprehensive and $500 on collision. I have about $3000 in upfitting done in my van not including my labor, but have not bothered to include in my coverage. I also love the their site which spells out all the discounts that apply, easy to add a vehicle or make changes without having to talk with an agent. I switched from Farmers about a year ago after being with them for 15 years and saved almost $1000 right off the bat. Very happy with Geico.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I actually already have an RV insurance policy even though I just started work on the RV conversion. My insurance agent told me once I finish the conversion Progressive may ask for proof in the form of receipts when I increase the value of the vehicle insured. If for some reason I don't like the new rate I will switch. My agent sent me three quotes and they were all cheap (even full timer coverage). Gotta love RV insurance.
jostalli,

I looked at the Progressive site and they make it very clear that they don't insure conversion vans. Wondering how you pulled it off?

I was looking at an RV a while back and their rates looked good.

Ed

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
jostalli,

I looked at the Progressive site and they make it very clear that they don't insure conversion vans. Wondering how you pulled it off?

I was looking at an RV a while back and their rates looked good.

Ed
That's what I asked my agent when he sent the quote. He talked to his regional rep at Progressive and they said they will take the policy and just ask for receipts and photos after the conversion is complete to raise the value. If you want my agent's info let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am haveing a terrible time finding insurance that is reasonable for my PM.

As a commercial antenna installer that drives about 30,000 per year I am being hit with well over $2300.00 a year for insurance. I am the only employee, have no tickets and no accidents.

I can not get my commercial insurance to my company because I titled it under my personal name and lease it to the company, I think I can get a better write off this way.

I have looked on this site and see people getting well under $2000.00 and some under $1000.00 for their insurance......WTF ......""""Sorry I got carried away""".

Help this is driving me off the deep end with my Love for my new PM.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple of things I found out during my search for RV (emphases RV) insurance that would cover my conversion. 1 - USAA (my current insurer) does NOT insure RVs. 2. I called Progresive and they do NOT insure "conversions" (RVs, yes - but not a conversion) they were, however, very helpful and referred me to two independent insurance brokers, one of which was only 6 blocks from where I live. 3. The independent broker said shouldn't be a problem - IF my "RV" had a kitchen with running water, sleeping area, and toilet with holding tank. In other words, the underwriters have some specific criteria before they will insure a "conversion" as an "RV" and I would assume that those requirements vary from company to company. Bottom line for me, my conversion is now insured as a $55,000 RV at what I think is a reasonable $800 yearly premium.

Obviously, if your conversion is very basic then I think it would make sense to just insure it as a van - IF , BIG IF, your insurance company is aware that you've modified the van (even slightly) so as to avoid a dispute over a claim because of something you've modified. I've been told by several people that being upfront with your agent/company is the only way to go - insurers don't like surprises.

Remember YMMV and I'm no expert. Also, you commercial owners have a whole different set of issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wasn't planning on adding a black water system but after talking with an RV insurance broker they said none of their 40 underwriters would insure it unless it had permanent toilet with plumbing along with the other items listed on the link below. So it looks like I'll have to add the black water system. The following link explains an insurable RV and the portion tha describes the class B exceptions is out-dated since it says that you have to have at least two of the three items but now you have to have all three. And....they said the work had to be done by a professional conversion company. Luckily I can partner with a local "professional" and still do most of the work myself. Here's the link: http://www.rvinsurancepro.com/what-is-an-insurable-rv/

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Get a second opinion. I went with an independent agent who writes RV policies. He got me an RV policy through Progressive even though my conversion is not complete. I also only have to show receipts to increase the value when I finish. I'm doing the work myself. No requirement to use a professional conversion company. I also don't have a black tank. Just grey since I have a composting toilet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get a second opinion. I went with an independent agent who writes RV policies. He got me an RV policy through Progressive even though my conversion is not complete. I also only have to show receipts to increase the value when I finish. I'm doing the work myself. No requirement to use a professional conversion company. I also don't have a black tank. Just grey since I have a composting toilet.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely get a second opinion. I'd rather not have a black water tank and I'd prefer to do the work myself.

·
Super Moderator
9,053 Posts
Why do you even want to insure it as an RV? Just get a stated value policy for the value of your van plus modifications and register it as a private vehicle (if your state will allow it).

Find another broker for sure!

When I went to insure mine I told the broker I was converting to to a camper and they said just let us know how much extra you want to add on for the conversion when it's done. I'm done but my total conversion cost was well under $4k so I may not even waste my time with them and leave it as it is.

·
Super Moderator
9,053 Posts
I think that depends on where you live. Every state has different rates and classes so it's not necessarily cheaper.

My Promaster is registered as a private pleasure passenger vehicle and the insurance is $645 a year for full coverage with $500 deductable for collision & $100K/$300K bodily injury, property damage and uninsured motorist. I can't imagine it could be much less as an RV.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I think that depends on where you live. Every state has different rates and classes so it's not necessarily cheaper.

My Promaster is registered as a private pleasure passenger vehicle and the insurance is $645 a year for full coverage with $500 deductable for collision & $100K/$300K bodily injury, property damage and uninsured motorist. I can't imagine it could be much less as an RV.
I went on Progressive's site and got a quote for similar coverage for an RV and the annual was about $450/year for a rig of $50,000 value for NH. One complication I couldn't account for is the vehicle has to have a minimum weight of 9,000 lbs to be covered. I don't think any of us will hit that.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Raising this thread from the grave. Currently looking to get my new PM insured. With Geico currently. They're offering me about $645 for a six month policy with the same coverage you mentioned. I'm 31, but have a totally clean driving record. Insuring in a quiet NJ suburb. Any thoughts regarding such a huge discrepancy?

·
Registered
739 Posts
FYI: Geico wont cover it if its converted to a camper unless it was 100% purchased as a class B camper. They actually told me they are removing my van from my policy. You could lie to them and tell them its a cargo van or say its a winnebago travato but then if you need to use the insurance they will have a reason to not cover you so you run the risk of paying premiums for insurance you can't use.

From my research and talking with agents and brokers encompass and state farm will cover a DIY conversion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's good to know. I actually know a couple people with DIY conversions with Geico, with added stated value to their policy. I guess they are just rolling the dice though.

Personally, the main point of frustration I'm finding now is that you cannot even get quotes for the Promaster using the front end tools on any of these sites. They ALL ask you to call and speak to an agent, at which point you have to go into the whole explanation about how it's not for commercial use, blah blah blah.

It makes it hard to see all the rates side by side when you have to talk to someone about every little detail.

Also - I have no idea why my rates are so **** high! I haven't even gotten a parking ticket in the last 5 years.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts