Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have several rental houses and have replaced our Astro cargo van with the Promaster 118 WB low roof. Progressive insurance covered our Astro for about 400 bucks a year under a personal policy along with our auto. However, when I called Progressive to get the new Promaster insured, after a lot of discussion, I refered to their commercial department.

The bottom line, full coverage in Indiana is 1260 dollars a year! Neither my wife or myself have had any accidents or tickets.

Is anyone else experiencing rates this high? I think I'll go shopping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yup illinois 1400$ a year for full coverage 100k/300k/100k both ways 500 deductible @ Country financial.

Also no tickets or accidents in the past 5 years. And also under personal policy

·
Registered
129 Posts
My wife and I have several rental houses and have replaced our Astro cargo van with the Promaster 118 WB low roof. Progressive insurance covered our Astro for about 400 bucks a year under a personal policy along with our auto. However, when I called Progressive to get the new Promaster insured, after a lot of discussion, I refered to their commercial department.

The bottom line, full coverage in Indiana is 1260 dollars a year! Neither my wife or myself have had any accidents or tickets.

Check on page 3 or try this link. Other people have had problems and have found better deals.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13530

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm seeing similar pricing in MI. I can't justify $1200 a year to haul a handicap person about 600 miles. The problem is they are rating these as commercial vehicles which are typically on the road 8+ hours per day and often driven by employees. Sprinter is no different. The vehicle rating will be heavily influence by average claims. Same reason my $16K Saturn Ion costs more to insure than my $48K Mercedes ML. I have heard some Sprinter owners claim that they get reasonable rates on Sprinter when it's classified as an RV.

That is another reason I am waiting for Ford Transit to come out. I'm hoping they will be rated more like the existing E-series vans, at least for wagons (window vans).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just checked with USAA. ~$530 per year. About $60 more per year than my 06 E350 Clubwagon.
Lucky you. That option is not available to most of us.

You raise an interesting point though. My father was in the Navy, but it was in the 50s when they provided no VA benefits at all unless you retired out. Perhaps I could convince him to try USAA and make me eligible :).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why is there such a big difference between the insurance costs on the Astra as compared to the Promaster? Is it just because it is a commercial vehicle?

I don't see why the ProMaster would be more expensive for insurance. Its not like people who drive ProMasters are more likely to crash or anything.

·
Registered
363 Posts
From my understanding commercial vehicle insurance is always higher, this is going to be my first commercial vehicle and im just going off of what i heard and know so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your Dad can now get USSA insurance with proof of service then you as son can also can get it. Even my X wife has it! Mines even less than my 2012 Ram truck was.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found a deal

The insurance agent that insures all of our rental houses just quoted the same coverage for about half the price. I added our personal car to the policy and it brought the yearly premium up to just 1260, which is less than Progressive wants for just the Promaster alone. FWIW, the new insurance company considers it a personal vehicle.......well so far anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Contractor policy in Wi. 775.00, thats an increase of 315.00 from what I was paying on my chevy 3500 for the same purpose. Certainly not a Dealbreaker considering that almost half of that increase is due to cash value of vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have yet to purchase as I am waiting for the 6 month "shakedown" to see how these things do after some usage.

I did contact our insurance agent though and going from our Isuzu NPR box truck to the PM will raise our commercial insurance around $200/year. That does not really seem too bad since it is 10 years newer and insured for full purchase price. We have a $1000 deductible and are located in PA. Hope this is helpful info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That doesn't sound all that bad.. I'm paying almost $2000 up here in Vancouver BC Canada.. that's with a 43% discount and no tickets or crashes for about 15 years now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We're paying $3500 for an '08 Sprinter and a '13 Nissan NV van. The cost includes liability insurance for the business. I am an Electrical contractor thinking about the ProMaster van in diesel. Our insurance was closer to $5500 before shopping around. No claims or tickets ever and located in the Phoenix area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We're paying $3500 for an '08 Sprinter and a '13 Nissan NV van. The cost includes liability insurance for the business. I am an Electrical contractor thinking about the ProMaster van in diesel. Our insurance was closer to $5500 before shopping around. No claims or tickets ever and located in the Phoenix area.
:eek: our '04 Isuzu NPR 14' box truck costs us $990/year for full coverage on our business policy through EMC Insurance. Like I said the PM would be about $200 more per year than that.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Lucky you. That option is not available to most of us.

You raise an interesting point though. My father was in the Navy, but it was in the 50s when they provided no VA benefits at all unless you retired out. Perhaps I could convince him to try USAA and make me eligible :).
If you have your father's enlisstment dates/numbers from the Navy, that will work. You can join USAA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you thought about the conversion van angle on insurance for the Promaster? Each state has their own interpretation of an RV. Might be cheaper in the long run to do the minimun to qualify the promaster as an RV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts