Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
3,018 Posts
I agree with KOV -- State Farm is definitely worth a try.
They were very helpful to us - first insuring as a commercial vehicle during the conversion and then as an RV when the conversion was done.
About $500 per year.

Gary

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course! SOLD :(
465 Posts
I tried State Farm (here in South Carolina). No go. Same with Progressive. "Commercial vehicle" was their claim, even though it is registered as a personal vehicle. I did end up with insurance through Geico. I called many, many agents, and was up front with all of them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
All you can do is keep calling more places. Underwriting varies by state. Companies have little in common between states besides name. If you exhaust yourself, get a 3rd party agent to find you a plan. They'll do the legwork for the commission. If you feel you've tried everything (small resellers have same insurance networks but different underwriting. I've had good luck with them in 3 states so far. Major providers were not as helpful) and have an address, friend, or family in another state, try insuring it in that state instead. Insurance is supposed to be for the state you " operate in most ", which feels pretty open to interpretation when dealing with a vehicle built to travel.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm with State Farm in Michigan and it hasn't been a smooth trip with them here. Even after jumping through all their hoops to get my van insured they up an cancelled it on short notice (And reported it to my credit union ). It was a long process to get another policy figured out and now it's insured as an RV, but I'm pretty sure I'm only covered for the value of the stock van plus what I have into it for parts.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Getting your conversion cost insured is yet another hurdle. If you did it yourself, unless you can get it appraised by them and agree on a stated value plan, you're probably out of luck. If you've put serious value into it, I would suggest figuring out auto insurance and then insure the interior with a different, personal item(s) insurance policy.

RV rates are normally less than personal use, but getting larger companies to understand that despite it being a "commercial class" vehicle it is "personal use" is by far the biggest step. It is not "commercial use" unless owned/insured by a business or used primarily for commercial transport (people/stuff not related to you).

In most cases, commercial insurance doesn't even cover you during personal use. So, it is likely both way overpriced as well as completely useless as they can deny a claim if you weren't in the process of a business related travel during an accident. Again, an interesting facet I've discussed with the first few agents, to which they both agreed and then maintained that they could offer me a commercial plan or nothing.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,349 Posts
I just told State Farm how much coverage I wanted and gave my agent a detailed material list of what I used plus full photos of everything. They gave me what I wanted (a stated value RV policy) for $550/year In NH. No problems or questions whatsoever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I have both tried to get commercial insurance (I don't have a business, so I was turned down by multiple places) and RV insurance (the VIN identifies it as a commercial vehicle, so it's not eligible for that type of insurance)

:(
Did you found a solution for it? I am currently facing the same problem and unable to find solution for it, one friend suggested me to go with liability insurance but I don't know if it works or not

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 1500 HT 136"
24 Posts
Yes, I insured mine through Geico,got the policy online for full coverage. Not as an rv, just as a commercial van. Just the van is covered, not the build. Around $1400 a year in california.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,414 Posts
Ouch. I pay about $500/year in CA with Geico. I'm old and safe.
Geico wouldn’t add mine to my auto policy !! They said the can needed a separate commercial policy. So I left geuco and went with Allstate. (I’m in PA) gonna try for retitling as RV. My quote for the year Is $1250 per year for a normal policy. I’ve had milewise (pay per mile) during the build for both cars, costing approx $500 for the year. I work from home so I’ll keep the milewise until I see the cam trips cost more than the quote

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,035 Posts
@Andermant ,
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted

Reactions: Andermant

·
Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 2500 CARGO VAN HIGH ROOF 136" WB
131 Posts
When we got our '21 PM, it was registered as a cargo van. This gave us a lot of problems when we took it to Mexico. When we got home we reregistered it as a motorhome. This is routine, and will stop the insurance leeches in their tracks. You do have to either have your name on the title or have permission from the bank that holds your car loan.

This isn't smoke and mirrors, we DID this exact thing.

metalmagpie

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
342 Posts
@metalmagpie, please elaborate what your problems were in Mexico with your van registered as a commercial vehicle. I ask because my van is registered in California as such and I intend to be driving in Mexico later this year. My experience in Mexico is that the police (local, state or federal) are as corrupt as as all get out and will lean on you for a bribe for any reason they can think of, however ridiculous.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts