Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Conversion is not the right word, don’t use it. Tell them you have a Class B RV and want RV insurance. A conversion van is something else. When they ask the company who made it answer RAM. You need to have facilities for sleeping, food preparation, bathroom, eating, water, power, lights etc. to qualify.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a dealer and have customers run into this occasionally.
If you can, try to get insurance online through one of the big online companies.

I would avoid ever saying the words "conversion, RV, commercial, delivery vehicle", or anything of the sort.
If you are going to use it as a commercial vehicle, by all means get the appropriate insurance, but if this is a personal vehicle, it is just that, a personal vehicle.

It can be done, I've seen people get it done easy, and I've seen it take a week to get squared away.

Personally, I'd avoid explaining anything beyond the fact that this is basic Promaster is what I choose to drive, and it is not a commercial vehicle.... who knows, maybe you like to surf, and need the space for boards....

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,098 Posts
My husband and I have had nothing but rejection trying to get insurance here in CA. Every top brand and mom and pop that we’ve talked to says their company doesn’t hold a policy for conversions. Do we need to register it as an event first before we can obtain insurance?
Like others have said, I just insured it as a van. No details on how I use it or anything I've done to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Insurance has been discussed a lot here. Others have been in your situation, in NH my van is registered as a regular vehicle. My van is insured as an RV and for a reasonable annual policy including lots of travel benefits with Progressive. Some in NH said they couldn't get Progressive to do theirs but I purchased it on their website no problem. They require it to have the things any RV has. The only glitch I found was they want it to have a 9,000 lb. GVWR and my 1500 has 8,500. I called and the underwriter waived that. Agreed Value for 10 years. If I had called an agent I am sure they would have found a problem so why do that? I spoke to an adjuster I met and he said adjusting the value of the interior I built is no problem and he had done some similar campervans.
I am running into the same problem with Progressive in Florida - I purchased a 2016 2500 that the previous owners used as an RV with just minimal insulation and plywood installed on the walls and a platform bed across the back plus some cheap carpeting. I tried to add it on the web site but it said I had to go through my agent. She says that since it is not a 'real' RV, they will not insure it as such and that it cannot go in as a personal vehicle. To become a REAL RV Progressive says it has to have plumbing, electrical, cabinets, finished walls, etc. Since we had to apply for a new plate since we had no spares, I must have all this done in 3 weeks before FL completes the registration!

·
Registered
15 Posts
We live in Texas and are insured through Geico. At first, they wanted me to insure it as a commercial vehicle (I do have my own business) but once I told the rep that it would be converted to an RV, it was not an issue and they have it insured as a personal vehicle. We pay $63/mo for full coverage insurance on it - even though we bought it outright we wanted full coverage.

·
Registered
Ramses is a white 2014 2500 159wb High Top
130 Posts
Hopefully some Wisconsoners can weight in because it really does seem different states do things different ways. I'm in New York.

I was freaked too, when I started looking for quotes. It was before I purchased and I wanted to get an idea. My previous vans were under Geico policies, and when I called they said "Commercial vehicle; we have nompolicy for you." The rep didn't even TRY to stop the loss of a decade old customer.

I called Progressive and got the same.

Then I came here and got told "do a search..." But also some tips. To try brokers, and keep trying others if one won't help.

It worked. Progressive IS the underwriter, through a local broker. And I'm not upset at the cost either. It's $40 more a month for comprehensive than I was paying for minimum collision on the old van.

When I went to register I was also worried at what would happen. I tried to figure out what the fee would be but...math.... Anyway, when I went in, it was considered Commercial, but when the clerk asked how much more it would weigh once loaded and I said "I dunno; 300 pounds?" she just wrote that number down.... In NY that is part of the equation on registration, I am pretty sure. I was pleasantly surprised at the fee - $179 for 2 years. Reasonable enough for me and made me wonder why people were saying it was sooooo pricey in NY.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,449 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised at the fee - $179 for 2 years. Reasonable enough for me and made me wonder why people were saying it was sooooo pricey in NY.
It is pricey-er if you had used a more realistic weight (but if it's ok with them, why not?)... a while back, there was a thread about total weight... I seem to recall an additional 1500 pounds was about average.

Interesting thread: Van Weight - How Much Does Yours Weigh?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,863 Posts
It's not likely you'll be weight checked in a van but when I asked DMV here in SC what would happen if I underestimated the weight on the commercial registration, she said they have portable scales they move around for spot checks and if you're over the listed weight on your registration it's a very stiff fine.

She added that gasoline, passengers, everything counts toward the total, even some trailers if you're towing one that doesn't require it's own registration (i.e.- small utility trailers here). So I went for 2500# over empty weight thinking that would be well over my weight 'most' of the time.

·
Registered
2018 Promaster 159' 'new' to us Thanksgiving 2020
17 Posts
We have used the same independent broker for years. Insurance is from Safeco. First van was an NV200 and we did have to explain it was not a 'commercial vehicle' but was driven around to pt houses for work. This time with the Promaster, Safeco just accepted that it was a personal vehicle. Did want to know what we paid for it, but otherwise no hassles.

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
461 Posts
We had great help from an agent in South Dakota where our van is titled as a personal vehicle. SD allows you to switch it to an RV but insurance companies will then ask you who the manufacturer is like, Winnebago, Airstream, etc... Our original empty van was insured by Farmers and cost 2x as much as our State Farm coverage as a fulltime self built van with full coverage. Please be careful switching the title to an RV as it may not be reversible. Depending on your state, State Farm may not be able to cover you. Please be very honest when explaining what your intentions are with your build as you don't want to pay and later find out in a accident that they won't cover you.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
553 Posts
I insure my conversion through Farmers, with Foremost (Farmer's arm for RVs). They are pretty reasonable about such matters - including when the Credit Union got stupid about the insurance (We show it as a Ram Promaster, the insurance has it as a Sportsmobile). My agent called them, said "Does the VIN match? Then it's insured."

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
461 Posts
I insure my conversion through Farmers, with Foremost (Farmer's arm for RVs). They are pretty reasonable about such matters - including when the Credit Union got stupid about the insurance (We show it as a Ram Promaster, the insurance has it as a Sportsmobile). My agent called them, said "Does the VIN match? Then it's insured."
Is your van a Sportsmobile built van? If not, I wish you all the best with coverage should you unfortunately have an accident.

·
Registered
Ramses is a white 2014 2500 159wb High Top
130 Posts
It's not likely you'll be weight checked in a van but when I asked DMV here in SC what would happen if ...
I had recalled reading that the weight would affect the registration fee, but when she asked.... I think Naughty Terrie took over, with a good idea as to what she was doing as I played dumb on the answer.

I guess I'll have to readress the issue next registration time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am running into the same problem with Progressive in Florida - I purchased a 2016 2500 that the previous owners used as an RV with just minimal insulation and plywood installed on the walls and a platform bed across the back plus some cheap carpeting. I tried to add it on the web site but it said I had to go through my agent. She says that since it is not a 'real' RV, they will not insure it as such and that it cannot go in as a personal vehicle. To become a REAL RV Progressive says it has to have plumbing, electrical, cabinets, finished walls, etc. Since we had to apply for a new plate since we had no spares, I must have all this done in 3 weeks before FL completes the registration!
Update as of 12/4/20
A friend's brother here in Florida ran into the same issue; he said to try Safeco. One short call to request someone contact us. We got a call back within the hour and received an instant quote of $600 a year AND there is no requirement to have the conversion finished beforehand!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I pay about $375 a year for full coverage in NH from Progressive (RV coverage)
We have four other vehicles insured with Progressive here in Florida. Our local agent tried to get our 2016 HT added to the policy but because the VIN is a 'commercial' one, it would not work. Progressive told our agent that the conversion had to be finished before they could insure it as a Class B. We went to Safeco and got a separate policy. Three weeks later Safeco cancelled the policy because the conversion was not done by a commercial company, a detail their agent forgot to mention. So we have been feverishly working to get the construction finished (500+ hours so far) and sent pictures to our agent today. She called back and said that underwriting is now saying that Progressive will not insure it because we did most of the work ourselves! This is different from what they said two months ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update as of 12/4/20
A friend's brother here in Florida ran into the same issue; he said to try Safeco. One short call to request someone contact us. We got a call back within the hour and received an instant quote of $600 a year AND there is no requirement to have the conversion finished beforehand!
Safeco took our money for the policy but their salesperson did not know her head from her behind. Three weeks later we got a call from underwriting who decided to cancel the policy because the work had not been done by a commercial company and it had to have a 'plumbed bathroom' and self-contained heat/AC.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts