Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am caught in an insurance conundrum. I'm in the state of WI.

My promaster is considered a "Commercial Vehicle" so I cannot get personal insurance on it.
I do not own a business, so I have not been able to obtain "Commercial insurance".

I've tried both big box shops like progressive, farmers, etc as well as calling local mom and pop insurance shops. No luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,349 Posts
I am caught in an insurance conundrum. I'm in the state of WI.

My promaster is considered a "Commercial Vehicle" so I cannot get personal insurance on it.
I do not own a business, so I have not been able to obtain "Commercial insurance".

I've tried both big box shops like progressive, farmers, etc as well as calling local mom and pop insurance shops. No luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Have you tried to register it as an RV first? In some states you are just SOL and others couldn’t care less! Have you tried to get commercial insurance? There must be thousands of van and pick up truck owners in your state that are not used commercially I would stop someone that looks to be in your position and ask them how they did it!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I sweated this a bit, but I brought up the issue when I bought my van and the titling people worked hard to make sure it was registered as a personal vehicle. The logic came down to the intended use of the vehicle trumped the make.

My guess is that the insurance company took the VIN looked it up and saw that it was registered non-commercial, so they issued me a policy.

Down the road I may have trouble if I get it re-titled as an RV, but again I'll likely go to the DMV first and re-title it, and then go to the insurance company (I'll most likely switch companies then to simplify things)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,177 Posts
I got a quote before I got the van, gave them the VIN of the one I was buying, no problem. Could have plated as a passenger or truck, I chose passenger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just titled, licensed and insured my 15 in October. only glitch was Wisconsin issued truck plates even though it's a full Sherrod conversion. Local agent (Johnsen Insurance) had no problem adding it to my personal auto policy at Auto Owners insurance.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Insurance has been discussed a lot here. Others have been in your situation, in NH my van is registered as a regular vehicle. My van is insured as an RV and for a reasonable annual policy including lots of travel benefits with Progressive. Some in NH said they couldn't get Progressive to do theirs but I purchased it on their website no problem. They require it to have the things any RV has. The only glitch I found was they want it to have a 9,000 lb. GVWR and my 1500 has 8,500. I called and the underwriter waived that. Agreed Value for 10 years. If I had called an agent I am sure they would have found a problem so why do that? I spoke to an adjuster I met and he said adjusting the value of the interior I built is no problem and he had done some similar campervans.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Promaster 2500 159"wb
238 Posts
i traded in my 2014 2500 for a 2018 3500 extended. my premium went up $1057 per year. new policy is $5939

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Yup, that seems to be the rate here in NH-$ 375, super coverage, including trip interruption, towing, roadside assistance, theft, glass, low and declining deductible, agreed on value that lasts for 10 years, 300+ days a year use, coverage in Canada and Mexico, etc. I too am old and safe but not as old as KOV, safer yes!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ouch. I pay about $500/year in CA with Geico. I'm old and safe.
Old and safe? Have you driven in Florida? Never have I encountered more people driving the wrong way down undivided highways, running red lights, rubber-necking, driving up palm trees, into canals and retention ponds, etc. At least in CA people know how to drive, the old ones too. They wouldn't have gotten old unless they did. Here, it's dead safe to drive. It's flat, the roads are straight, I don't get it-- it isn't that hard (well maybe in Miami).

I pay a bit more than twice that, got my premium notice today. I expect it to be cut in half when I switch to RV insurance.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,349 Posts
I avoid Florida like the plague, personally. It has one thing going for it - fairly warm weather in the winter. I would rather drive twice as far to get out West.

Reactions: Deryn

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Florida is filled with folks who had a farm or lived in a little town up in New England or upper NY. They never learned about “right on red”, 4 way stops, first in first out, never drove in a city, never actually had to stop for the one light, never yielded on the ramps, never saw a roundabout or God forbid a MA traffic circle, never understood why the lines in the road were sometimes solid and sometimes dashes, can’t read the signs since the cataract surgery, are still looking for that switch on the floor to dim the lights, are new to turn lanes, that strange green arrow and whats the blinking red one for? If they stay home and die in the cold none of this matters.
In AZ we get the Creakers from S Dakota, Montana, Eastern WA state and Oregon and a bunch of very polite ones from BC. There past driving experience is not much help when they are on I-10 at the baseline exit where there are 16 lanes counting ramps.
And if you wonder, YES, I do resemble these remarks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New owner of a used 2014 2500 Promaster , I had to answer a few questions from GEICO before they would quote. It was cheaper than the Toyota Tundra that is being replaced. Truck insurance is pricey here in Texas, so I was happy about it going down..

·
Registered
1 Posts
New owner of a used 2014 2500 Promaster , I had to answer a few questions from GEICO before they would quote. It was cheaper than the Toyota Tundra that is being replaced. Truck insurance is pricey here in Texas, so I was happy about it going down..
My husband and I have had nothing but rejection trying to get insurance here in CA. Every top brand and mom and pop that we’ve talked to says their company doesn’t hold a policy for conversions. Do we need to register it as an event first before we can obtain insurance?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts