Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you all insuring your completed builds?

I currently have Progressive Commercial and that won't cover the conversion, only a stock Promaster. Spoke to a few insurance companies and none of them will insure it as a "conversion van" or an "RV". That means, in a total loss I would be issued around $35k when the vehicle is worth around $80k.

I want to insure a Promaster Cargo Van for around $80k as a "conversion van", "RV", or whatever you want to call it so the policy can provide full coverage on its new/upgraded value. The vehicle has not been appraised or sold for $80k, I just know what it's worth based on similar builds that have sold.

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
I'm afraid if you think you are going to be able to insure your "conversion van" for $80k you are in for a big shock, not to mention it's value being anywhere close to $80k because "you have seen others that are comparable".. I would say the typical Promaster conversion here has tropically run under $50k including to up front cost of the van. I'm sure there are a few that may approach even $60k but that's because they have gone overboard on a few things that are extra important to them. The first thing you have to ask yourself before looking for an unrealistic insurance value is "How much do I actually have invested"? No insurance company is going to pay you any more than you can prove you have invested.

Now, if you had the van converted by a reputable conversion business you may be able to prove a value of $80k but that is a different story.

Progressive will insure your van. They have insured mine and others on the site. You just have to be realistic and keep trying. There are others that will also insure "home brew" conversion vans but Progressive seems to have the best rates.i wish you luck!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,501 Posts
*** Progressive will insure your van. They have insured mine and others on the site. You just have to be realistic and keep trying. There are others that will also insure "home brew" conversion vans but Progressive seems to have the best rates.i wish you luck!
*** but your results may be different! I gave up a while ago! Happy for those who were able to git 'er done! :D

Homework: Read this thread.....http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49009

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. I suppose I would just like to cover the amount I've invested, so closer to $50k including the van.

I have Progressive Commercial on another van and they let me set the value that it's insured at. I chose a number that is 'street value' (what I would sell for), a higher number than my cost. How that would pan out in an actual claim, I've yet to test...

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
That's a little more realistic. Of course it also depends on what state you live in. My insurance agent (in NH) told me they could get me RV insurance no problem but they also said they couldn't beat Progressives rates. Progressive isn't easy to deal with necessarily. I got mine thru a RV insurance company located in CA and it went thru Progressive commercial whereas RD applied online to the regular Progressive site (I believe)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes I did. It is insured as a Class B for an agreed price of $44,000 a figure I can validate. I have everything covered including break downs, towing, trip interruption costs and renting a vehicle. I spoke in person to a Progressive adjuster and he said adjusting the claim if I had an accident was no problem. After being covered a while I listened to the nay sayers here and was worried and called Progressive to get a validation of my policy and the rep even talked to an underwriter and got back to me with “No problem you are covered and the $44,000 figure is good for 10 years- no depreciation” I went through the website and answered their questions and got an annual quote and have been renewed. Easy Peasy. Only note- they want the vehicle to have a 9,000+ GVRW so 2500’s and 3500’s only. I got an exception for my 1500. YMMV

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told by Progressive that they do not insure 'custom conversions' and that they would go through Good Sam or another third party who would provide the insurance as a 'conversion' or 'RV'. It all seemed kinda weird, not dealing with the actual insurance company directly.

I guess I'll try again. Talk to five different people in a call center and you'll get five different answers...

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
DON’T CALL. The best thing about Progressive is their website. Use it for a quote. BTW my renewal for the third year of insurance just came today and the price has stayed the same (it went down the second year) so no bait and gouge either.

Reactions: RyRy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody in California with insurance on their converted Promaster?

Progressive won't insure it. I'm going to have to call all the other insurance companies to try and find one that will cover the van now that it's been converted into a camper...

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
Yes, I know several CA residents have posted they've got RV ins from Progressive.
Don't give up or take no for an answer:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got Allstate. They let me insure it as an RV before the conversion process even begins (saves me money). I was paying $1,546/yr for full coverage with Progressive Commercial, Allstate is $558/yr for full coverage as an RV.

Most importantly, Allstate told me I could have it insured as an RV and registered as a cargo van. So, in theory, if I get a ticket for parking in a "No RV" spot in California, I can contest it since DMV records state it is a cargo van. And at the same time, I get to save a ton of money by having RV insurance which also provides some perks like rental car and stuff...

I explained how I have receipts for the whole 'build' but it doesn't take into account 'labor wages'. While I know it's silly to think I can insure or get paid out at the value I think it'll be worth ($80k), she did say that they would compare it to "similar vehicles". So, if they're comparing to manufactured class-B RVs, that should put me around $80k+ versus the $55k I might be able to prove in receipts and bill of sale.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I think you did well. Mine is set up for an agreed value which includes my labor. I pick the value and progressive quotes a price. Since I am in NH (Live Cheap and Die) I pay less than you but you are in the ballpark. My conversion took me about 300 hours to do over two months and I spent $4,600+- in parts and the van was $34 000 so I set the value at $$44,000. In a total loss with no salvage I would get $18/hour for my time which is probably more than I am worth. Chuckle. The best part is that value holds for 10 YEARS. Meaning in 8 more years if I total the thing I have avoided the depreciation most RV’s suffer. Yes I did confirm this with both an underwriter and an adjuster from progressive. Once you have the policy in hand I suggest you call Allstate and ask how yours works.
On a side note I am shocked how fast that depreciation occurs. I have a friend considering a Winnebago Travato K which has a 2018 MSRP of $102,000+. I searched RV trader and found a new 2017 for sale for $70,000 for him and a 2014 G for $57,000. Thats $30,000 in a year for a NEW van, $45,000 in 3 years. Your $80,000 will be about $40,000 (probably less) in a about 5 years.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,501 Posts
...On a side note I am shocked how fast that depreciation occurs. I have a friend considering a Winnebago Travato K which has a 2018 MSRP of $102,000+. I searched RV trader and found a new 2017 for sale for $70,000 for him and a 2014 G for $57,000. Thats $30,000 in a year for a NEW van, $45,000 in 3 years. Your $80,000 will be about $40,000 (probably less) in a about 5 years.
Add to that the fact that RV dealers offer very low down payment loans. So you're upside-down as you drive out the door!

ps. Guess I'll check out Allstate!

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
Our labor is worth nothing as far as ins companies are concerned;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
KOV that is true. We would not be paid for the labor we put in to build it the first time but the insurance company has the responsibility to make whole the loss (which they do with money) That should mean a payment for the van’s repair/replacement and an interior similar to what we had prior to the loss. Presumably we could buy the build from a custom converter like Morehead Design Lab or we could do it ourselves with the money. If we did, the payment from the insurance should far exceed the material costs so we keep the difference. I used to do some simple auto body work and went through this several times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've recently purchased a ProMaster 2500 high roof and have run into the insurance issue. Currently have it insured on my Geico policy for 800 a year in MN.

I got an online quote with Progressive for $305 a year by selecting other as manufacturer and calling it a class B. But the Progressive web site explicitly says they do not insure conversion vans. So I'm curious how RDinNHandAZ got around this?

From the web site:
Insurance for campervans—class B
A class B camper van has the following characteristics:

Built by the factory for camping purposes with sleeping, kitchen, toilet facilities, 110 volt hookup, fresh water storage and an extension roof.
Most economical, versatile and maneuverable type of motor home.
Narrower than other motor homes because it utilizes space within the existing van body.
Ranges from 16 to 21 feet in length.
Typically sleeps up to 4 people.
All features are installed by the RV manufacturer.
Does not include conversion vans.

Any help would be appreciated but I don't want to pay for a policy that will be void if I have to file a claim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a new Promaster owner trying to figure out this insurance thing. I have Progressive for my auto, but found out they will not insure the Promaster in Minnesota because they classify it as a commercial vehicle and I am using it for personal use!

I've read through the insurance threads here and see some have purchased RV insurance through Progressive for very reasonable prices. So I went through the Progressive web site and was able to get a quote for $300 a year by selecting the RV as a Class B. However, I'm hesitant to purchase the policy as I do not believe it would be valid if I needed to make a claim. The reason is Progressive explicity states they do not insure conversion vans. They only insure Class B vans built by RV manufacturers as stated below.

From https://www.progressive.com/rv/camper-vans-classb-insurance/
Insurance for campervans—class B
A class B camper van has the following characteristics:

Built by the factory for camping purposes with sleeping, kitchen, toilet facilities, 110 volt hookup, fresh water storage and an extension roof.
Most economical, versatile and maneuverable type of motor home.
Narrower than other motor homes because it utilizes space within the existing van body.
Ranges from 16 to 21 feet in length.
Typically sleeps up to 4 people.
All features are installed by the RV manufacturer.
Does not include conversion vans.

I'm curious to hear how others have gotten around these stipulations? RDinNHandAZ? It seems some may be paying for a policy that could be null and void if needed. Has anyone had to file a claim with Progessive or any other insurance provider as an RV?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I bought it on their site and I never saw that. It may have been added in the three years? I called them before the renewal date to confirm I was covered and conformed. An underwriter confirmed although they said my 1500 did not meet the requirement that the GVRW be at least 9,000 lbs. they would waive that as I had been forthright and was currently covered. I kept notes. I spoke to an adjuster. He assured me he could estimate the loss for my van and the replacement to damage inside. I found them willing to make it work. I certainly did not try to get around anything as your concern was mine too. If I have an accident I want to be paid a fair settlement.
Here is what a converter says about conversion vans vs. class b:
http://www.paulsherryconversionvans...en-a-conversion-van-and-a-class-b-motor-home/
I don’t have a conversion van I have a class b. It has all the requirements of one and we have discussed the RIVA vs other builder’s status. Lots of builders are producing camper vans and are legitimate businesses that don’t have a “factory”, don’t belong to RIVA and are real class b RVs.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Progressive will insure your van. They have insured mine and others on the site
Here is how my convo went with Progressive a few days ago....

P - It is a commercial vehicle.
Me- It isn't registered , titled, or currently insured as commercial.
P - It is a commercial vehicle
Me - Ok , and if it wasn't could you insure a van conversion?
P - No.

Something has changed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Progressive will insure your van. They have insured mine and others on the site
Here is how my convo went with Progressive a few days ago....

P - It is a commercial vehicle.
Me- It isn't registered , titled, or currently insured as commercial.
P - It is a commercial vehicle
Me - Ok , and if it wasn't could you insure a van conversion?
P - No.

Something has changed.
Maybe you were speaking to a particularly unhelpful associate? Also insurance laws and regulations vary from state to state.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts