Ram Promaster Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I agree.
If someone (for example) uses reflectix as insulation and then covers it with paneling, they might not fully understand how it all works and might just think, it's shiny and shiny stuff insulates. And it "feels" like it's doing a good job. Is it a practical use of the material? Nope.
Is it hurting anything? Nope.
And to your point, if they perceive that it's doing a good job, they will feel better and feel cooler or warmer and being happy means you are successful.
Back when I was on the maint crew at work, a few sections of the facility are climate controlled by roof top units that serviced 2-4 rooms. If you raised the temp to make an exterior wall room comfy, you'd make the interior room(s) stifling. And so on.
If a teacher said they were cold, we would tell them we'd take care of it. Then call about 30 min later and ask if it was better. "Oh yeah, much better, thank you!"
We never touched it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
@GaryBIS
Is there anything to be gained by not having the insulation in direct contact with the metal?

Heat transferring between the metal and insulation vs having a .5" separation between the two.

In my mind this makes sense, I know it's just splitting hairs.
Hi Phil,
Actually, I think that insulation wise this would work well.

My handbook gives the following values for a reflective layer facing an opaque surface (the van sheet metal) with an airspace between:
Winter:
airspace with one surface reflective +R2.36
airspace without reflective layer +R0.87

Summer:
airspace with one surface reflective +R2.1
airspace without reflective layer +R0.76

So, the airspace itself has insulating value itself and and adding the reflective surface increases this by nearly a factor of 3.

There is also a benefit to the reflective layer on the inside surface of the insulation sheet as long as there is an airspace between the insulation and the paneling.

The reflective layer facing the van sheetmetal works in the winter because it has a low emissivity (meaning it radiates heat poorly), so it greatly reduces the transfer of radiant heat toward the van skin. It works in the summer because the van sheet metal is hot and will radiate heat inward toward the reflective layer, which will reflect 90% or so of it back toward the van skin.

All this works only if the surface stays reflective -- ie does not degrade or get covered with dust.

There would a be the challenge of securing the insulation layer well enough that it does not develop squeaks while still maintaining the half inch air layer.

The airspace would also provide a way that any moisture that gets in there has a way to dry out.

Gary

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Man, I can't get over how clean and air tight that looks. I'd want to build the interior to look like the space station.
No pricing on their website. Which tells me I don't make enough money.
img_0551sm.jpg
img_0575~2.jpg
img_0576sm.jpg

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I would want a pocket door in the front bulkhead and I would want it to make the Star trek bridge door sound when it opened.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
181 - 190 of 190 Posts