Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many threads on insulation. The more I read, the more uncertain I am. The recent post on thinsulate vs. polyiso vs. SM600L thinsulate was educational. I liked the SM600L spec sheet. Am starting on the ceiling, and purchased 3M HI-Strength 90, but haven't bought the insulation yet.
1. Should I just spray the raised rib (strips)? Or spray the entire surface, thinking the insulation will adhere to the lower strips as well as the raised strips? 3M instructions say to spray both surfaces, and apply 1-3 coats of adhesive. That seems like a lot of adhesive, when considering both surfaces. If it becomes tacky in 1-2 minutes, seems you have to work fast on each panel, given both surfaces x 1-3 coats?
2. Should I build something to hold it in place while it bonds and dries? Can says "Bonding Range 1-10 minutes." Is that total cure time? Am happy to allow each panel to cure / set overnight, with pressure against it.
3. Recommendations for insulation over SM600L?

Since thinsulate is only R-3 (the posts say), I was planning on using "attic type insulation between the thinsulate and ceiling / paneling.

Suggestions?

Thanks all

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,549 Posts
That R-3 is per inch. You will have about R-5. Don't use fiberglass. I added a 1” furring strip to my ribs, so was able to use two layers of Thinsulate.

Don't sweat holding it up because it is so light. When the two adhesive surfaces meet, they will stick well enough. Cut strips to go between the ribs, then fill the ribs separately. If you want to cover the outsides of the ribs, maybe some closed cell foam.

Most important—don’t sweat it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice! Thank you, and for the picture. Looks like a good way to go. Pic looks like my van - put a fan in the same spot, but mine is windowless by choice / order.
Appreciate your help MsNomer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I only used one coat of 3m 90 spray on the van ceiling and one coat on the thinsulate itself. I waited 1 minute, then pushed it up onto the ceiling and just patted it down everywhere and it stuck. I put the white side on against the van and the black side facing the inside of the van.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.