Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my older eyes, I find that that the speedometer is difficult to read as it is small and always shadowed by the dashboard. (2016 ProMaster City SLT) The tachometer is much easier to see. The best that I've been able to do is to run with the headlights on at all times so that I can adjust the instrument cluster brightness to high. Has anybody found a better aftermarket instrument cluster or other solutions? Maybe a heads-up display?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My B-I-L added a string of LED down in the hole where the speedometer is so that he could see in the dark hole. This was on a Rialta VW motorhome. An auto parts place have these LED string lights.

MLogan
2017 Trend Motorhome
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as I am concerned, not being able to see the speedometer during the day is a safety issue. With sunlight, the dashboard display is shaded and not easily visible. With sunglasses it is virtually invisible. Brighter backlighting would help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a senior PMC owner as well and find the speedometer is not only hard to see, but it's also on the left side of the cluster. Most U.S. vehicles have it on the right, with the tachometer of the left. I bought a Garmin GPS with a 6" screen for about $80 and use it instead of squinting at the speedometer. It's accurate and more in line with the windshield line of sight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One solution is the inexpensive ($35) Heads Up Displays sold now.
Here is one I put on my PMC for the same speedometer visibility problem.

Even in bright Texas sunshine I can see it. But you have to use the semi-mirror film they supply to get rid of the double image on the glass and to make it visible in bright sunlight.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
@P2K... I like your solution... can't seem to find one like that... Brand name/model?
This one is from Amazon but they are available at other places.

Sort out the GPS types from the OBD2 types of HUD to make searching easier.
I went with the GPS type because it is an independent measurement compared to the OBD2 units that mimic the PMC speed reading.

This one works well but is a pain to figure out how to operate the program button. Very confusing and I managed to get it set up for MPH more by accident in the menu.

There are other brands and styles to consider if you want to.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
My only misgiving is that I can't seem to get the reflective material on the windshield to be perfectly smooth... but it is very legible still

It is difficult to get the plastic film looking smooth. Usually lots of practice.
The glass needs to cleaned with alcohol.
Water spray the glass and adhesive side of the film.
After placing it smooth it out with a piece of plastic that is smooth. A credit card usually works OK.
Keep working out all the bubbles one at a time towards the edges.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if lighting helps you see it better search amazon for this $8.99 light

6"x1" WHITE LED SLIM LINE LED UTILITY STRIP LIGHTS 12 LEDS RV BOAT
by LONG HAUL

... and wire it into your convenience outlet with this $5. plug

DishyKooker 12V 24V DC 5.5mm/2.1mm Plug Car Cigarette Lighter Charger Power Cable Cord Lead for Car Monitor/Camera Black
by DishyKooker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts